• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Latest mock from the Athletic. Fields to CAr. Jones to NO

raleigh-panther

Panthers give a lot to move up for fields   machines to the Saints.  I subscribe to the Athletic 

https://theathletic.com/2378777/?source=fbpcadsbc&ad_id=23846835016490092&fbclid=IwAR0jTC5jJT7SbfKEHgsn_hzI0zrQv-y8NIgu9Ujg7Eyyyv75F9mRjalrqNg_aem_ARlOfheB9poAq2ZjEqKiqMICV3YzjTU4QlWe0Wa2WwAQq6EtGyIxYbD9O3Ps9sOzxcmw7K793OXYohIfzrkjnInjxZ1bD3iyucAnL28Natok_OVDPpa_ziO9dxmy4dmVU28

2021 NFL mock draft: Panthers, Washington, 49ers trade for QBs in Dane Brugler’s latest

Dane Brugler Feb 11, 2021comment-icon@2x.png 269  save-icon@2x.png

At this point in the draft season, a mock draft is all about examining various scenarios, and it can be tough to do a realistic projection of the first round without including a few trades. In last year’s first-round, 11 picks were made by teams that didn’t originally own that selection.

Trades are difficult to predict, but here are six plausible moves that could shake up Round 1. (Note: The Rams, Seahawks and Texans are not picking in the first round.)

1. Jacksonville Jaguars — Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson

No need to project a trade here — the Jaguars aren’t expected to shop this pick. Lawrence will undergo surgery in a few weeks to repair his non-throwing shoulder, but that won’t have any effect on his draft projection.

2. New York Jets — Zach Wilson, QB, BYU

This is where the draft starts and there will be plenty of speculation on a possible trade at No. 2 if the Jets decide to stick with Sam Darnold. However, there is a greater chance New York sees an opportunity to reset the franchise with a new quarterback, but which one? If Wilson does well during the interview process, many around the league expect him to be the favorite here. | Beat writer analysis: Connor Hughes reacts to the pick

3. ***TRADE***

Carolina Panthers receive:
2021 first-round pick (No. 3 overall)

Miami Dolphins receive: 
2021 first-round pick (No. 8 overall)
2021 third-round pick
2021 fifth-round pick
2022 first-round pick

Carolina Panthers (via MIA) — Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State

The Panthers’ ownership and front office have made it known that they plan to be aggressive this offseason in upgrading the quarterback position. They missed out on Matthew Stafford, and Deshaun Watson remains a long shot, making the draft their best opportunity. Instead of sitting at No. 8 and hoping a quarterback falls to them, they out-bid other teams and go and get their guy in this mock. Fields needs time, but all the talent is there for him to develop into Carolina’s answer at the position. | Beat writer analysis: Joe Person’s reaction to the trade and pick

4. Atlanta Falcons — Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon

The Falcons are certainly a wild card with this pick. With a new head coach and general manager, they have a chance to draft a young quarterback to groom behind Matt Ryan. Or they can go the “best available” route and upgrade the current roster while still competing. The Falcons heavily scouted the offensive tackles in last year’s class and will likely do the same this year. Whether they plan to move Jake Matthews inside to guard or have Sewell start inside, Atlanta’s offensive line would be immediately better with this addition. | Beat writer analysis: Tori McElhaney reacts to the pick

5. Cincinnati Bengals — Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida

The Bengals need to upgrade the offensive line — that is indisputable. But it might not happen with this pick, especially if Sewell is off the board. Will they grade Northwestern’s Rashawn Slater this high? Maybe, but some teams don’t. The Bengals are expected to be a team willing to trade back, but if stuck here, Pitts would give Joe Burrow and Cincinnati a unique mismatch weapon. | Beat writer analysis: Paul Dehner reacts to the pick

6. Philadelphia Eagles — Ja’Marr Chase, WR, LSU

With the uncertainty of the organization’s quarterback situation, the Eagles are another team that might be in the mix for a top-10 quarterback prospect. But in this scenario, Howie Roseman and the front office decide to build up the roster, adding a three-level threat like Chase, who can be a legitimate No. 1 receiver in any offense. | Beat writer analysis: Bo Wulf on trade options here for the Eagles

7. ***TRADE***

Washington Football Team receives: 
2021 first-round pick (No. 7 overall)

Detroit Lions receive:
2021 first-round pick (No. 19 overall)
2021 third-round pick (No. 82 overall)
2022 first-round pick

Washington Football Team (via DET) — Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota State

With Alex Smith, Kyle Allen and Taylor Heinicke, Washington has several short-term options at quarterback. But Lance would give the organization a young, high-upside player with the physical talent and football character that translates well to the pro level. With the competition for quarterbacks in this draft, it will likely take multiple draft picks, including a future first, to make this deal happen for Washington. | Beat writer analysis: Ben Standig answers the question, Should WFT go get him?

28. New Orleans Saints — Mac Jones, QB, Alabama

When asking around the league for guesses on where Jones will land, the responses were varied and ranged from top-15 to mid-second round. He is a tough player to project in a mock draft, but his fit in New Orleans would be ideal for both sides. The Saints have a win-now roster, and Jones has NFL-ready accuracy and anticipation. | Beat writer analysis: Katherine Terrell reacts to the pick

Edited by raleigh-panther

45 minutes ago, Mage said:

Not sure how I feel about Justin Fields but if that is all we have to give up to move up to #3 then it is totally worth it.  

Really? Thats a lot to move up a whole 5 spots. No way I would do it. No way to prove whoever is taken at 3 will be better than whoever is taken 5 spots later. 

I think if Rhule and Fitterer do draft Fields, I’ll feel good about it because I’ll assume they’ve put him through the ringer in terms of what he knows versus the drawbacks of the OSU scheme. I’d like to think they feel comfortable enough that Fields would be able to process things better than what he showed at OSU. 

So many people did the same thing with Herbert last year and you’d hate to make the same mistake twice. Fields has all the tools and athleticism imaginable to be a franchise QB. 

Just now, 45catfan said:

I hope so, but Lance is moving ahead of Fields on some BBs.  I'm not sure if it's more confidence in Lance or less confidence in Fields.

I’d take Fields over Lance and be happy. If we draft Lance we are keeping Teddy around for the duration of his three years.