• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton says he “intimidated” Panthers...

DFive

5 minutes ago, t96 said:

Ehh Rivera didn't give him bad injury luck. Wilson has had terrible OLs for most of his career and he's never missed a game. A lot of that is just random bad luck, with play style also a slight factor.

I will never not take a shot at Rivera but honestly it was Cams dive that hurt his shoulder in the first place. Cam never should have dove to try to stop a TD pick 6 that was going to score no matter what. I also posted a video showing that it was also Kelvin Jawalrus Benjamin that didn't go for the ball and walked off the field instead of making the tackle he could have made which led to Cam diving and hurting his shoulder.

We could blame Cam for diving for no reason or KB but the rest of his injuries were surmountable. 

10:18 mark

Edited by Fox007
  • Beer 2

If Cam were still healthy and able to actually compete, then this would be a big deal. Honestly, Carolina wouldn't have moved on from him.

He wasn't healthy 2018, he was really bad off in 2019, he got cut here and performed poorly in New England for the 2020 season. I hate that it worked out that way, but almost every great football player's career ends earlier than they want and mostly due to injuries if they were ever really good.

Cam's at that point. Has been at it.

Did Rivera ruin his career? Quit trying to blame anything but the fact that football is a massively dangerous contact sport. What do you think "leave everything out on the field" means? This is the nature of the game, and it's rough when it takes out one of your heroes. It's rough every time.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

8 minutes ago, CRA said:

lot of those rankings don't really reflect how talent stacks up vs another.   Like the OL rankings.  NE OL ranks so highly because of how NE called games IMO.   Same with the defense.   BB going to extreme ball control inflates the defensive ranking. 

New England was 13th in Pass Block Win Rate and 10th in Run Block Win Rate in 2020.

The Panthers were 23rd in Pass Block Win Rate and 7th in Run Block Win Rate in 2020. 

Teddy's Time To Throw was 2.6 seconds(11th in the NFL) and Cam's was 2.84 seconds(27th in the NFL)

Pat's allowed 37 sacks, Panthers allowed 36 sacks.

Cam's average PocketTime(PFR stat for amount of time before pocked collapses or the ball is thrown) was 2.6 seconds, Teddy's was 2.3 seconds.

New England allowed 48 hurries, Carolina allowed 42 hurries. 

New England allowed 109 pressures, Carolina allowed 111 pressures. 

I'd say the scheme probably favored us more than in New England and that our OL was definitely weaker. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

15 minutes ago, t96 said:

Ehh Rivera didn't give him bad injury luck. Wilson has had terrible OLs for most of his career and he's never missed a game. A lot of that is just random bad luck, with play style also a slight factor.

Nah, style of play is a big factor in both of those guys. Wilson is pretty good at avoiding big hits, Cam relished the opportunity to truck you. 

The way Cam played the game did contribute to his injuries. But, it's also what made him such a spectacle and one of the most dangerous offensive weapons in NFL history. 

5 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

You could argue that the other angle to this is that Cam Newton was possibly high maintenance. Any new staff would have to handle him with kid gloves.

Rivera never really stood behind Ken Dorsey when it came to Newton. There was a lot of talk that Newton and Dorsey's relationship was more like buddies than coach and player.

A lot of us didn't think much of Dorsey as a quarterback coach because of it.

Then he went to Buffalo and helped make Josh Allen what he is now.

Sorry Cam, I was a big proponent of keeping you on the roster, but your shoulder can't last more than 4 games as evidenced last year.  I pulled hard for you to succeed in NE but I think it's time to call it a career.

Edited by NAS

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

it was Ron Rivera who went 4 wheeling for 8 years with a Ferrari. 

Best synopsis ever in the quote above 

I love Cam and always will 

best of times and worst of times was his time at QB.  Never felt such a tangle of emotions 

I wish he would retire for his own good but that is hard for alpha males to do in sports 

I wish him the absolute best and as I said at the time and still mean it, there is a way to treat people and a way not to ...too often in the Panthers org it’s been the latter 

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Then he went to Buffalo and helped make Josh Allen what he is now.

The incompetence of that regime man lol....

The fact that literally our other members of the Panther organization are turning around and succeeding in some Buffalo is just super salt.

37 minutes ago, t96 said:

I think that's crap. If Cam was still playing at a high level and healthy why would Tepper want to move on from him? I think 2018 frustrated the hell out of Tepper, starting with that Pittsburgh game that I'm sure was very personal for him and then when Cam couldn't be counted on in early 2019 his future here was sealed.

Tepper was making non-committal comments regarding Cam from the moment he bought the team.

• Pie 1