• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

why did we sign teddy

9 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Again, pretty much middle of the pack this year.  The 2021 lists I see are tainted not only because Dak is absent, but they also contain Brees' renegotiated salary which gets about five asterisks.  I have no idea what they will do with Big Ben or Alex Smith, so it about all evens out, I think.

Also again, people are jumping off the cliff about a GM who is gone.  This is one of the remaining gifts of his that keep on giving, but I highly doubt Teddy will be 10th in 2022 because the way his contract is structured, he is going to have to have people saying he looks Russell Wilson or that they are sure glad we did not trade the farm for Watson (if anybody does) to collect on that money.

Drew Brees dead cap of $12 mil is well below Teddy. So I am not sure how that taints the list.

And 13th is pretty bad for a backup QB. That is why I often quote his closest comparisons, which would be Osweiler, Glennon and Foles. 

If Teddy makes it through this next season, it will be the most money he will likely make in his entire career.

Edited by kungfoodude

Just now, kungfoodude said:

Drew Brees dead cap of $12 is well below Teddy. So I am not sure how that taints the list.

And 13th is pretty bad for a backup QB. That is why I often quote his closest comparisons, which would be Osweiler, Glennon and Foles. 

If Teddy makes it through this next season, it will be the most money he will likely make in his entire career.

Brees base salary (which was the list I was looking at) was basically minimum wage, so that part is absurd.

What people don't seem to get is this: that is done.  If you could hire Hurney back to fire him again, great.  But we can't even do that.

The question is not "why did we sign Teddy" but what we do from here?

I swear, this place is like the people I work with.  Sometimes things go bad, and they spend more time complaining as assigning blame than they do asking how we make it not bad anymore.  In this case, it would be like having one of those meetings after they fired the program manager and spending the time stewing over "what was he thinking?"  Who cares, he's gone, how do we fix it?

FWIW, I joined one of those meetings once during a feeding frenzy, had enough in short order and spouted out "just blame me.  I don't even know what the hell you are talking about or sure, but if we are going to spend this meeting talking about who to blame for 45 minutes instead of taking 5 minutes to figure out how to fix it, blame me so we can move on."

They then denied they were trying to blame anybody!

So I have a history of questioning what the hell are we doing and why?

4 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Brees base salary (which was the list I was looking at) was basically minimum wage, so that part is absurd.

What people don't seem to get is this: that is done.  If you could hire Hurney back to fire him again, great.  But we can't even do that.

The question is not "why did we sign Teddy" but what we do from here?

I swear, this place is like the people I work with.  Sometimes things go bad, and they spend more time complaining as assigning blame than they do asking how we make it not bad anymore.  In this case, it would be like having one of those meetings after they fired the program manager and spending the time stewing over "what was he thinking?"  Who cares, he's gone, how do we fix it?

FWIW, I joined one of those meetings once during a feeding frenzy, had enough in short order and spouted out "just blame me.  I don't even know what the hell you are talking about or sure, but if we are going to spend this meeting talking about who to blame for 45 minutes instead of taking 5 minutes to figure out how to fix it, blame me so we can move on."

They then denied they were trying to blame anybody!

So I have a history of questioning what the hell are we doing and why?

This isn't work, this is a place to literally randomly BS about Panthers/NFL topics. 

That is what is going on in this thread. The reason all the topics are so insanely repetitive is that nothing is going on in the NFL at the moment.

Our biggest ticket items are QB, QB, QB and QB. There really isn't much to speculate about other than that.

14 hours ago, *FreeFua* said:

So you think a 30 year old, 1st year OC, walked in the door to a new job and became the reason why they signed Bridgewater?

Is it the determining factor, probably not. However, it is well documented he was in support of it. The argument for Teddy over Cam made sense, UNTIL you turn on tape. Problem is the tape on Cam was injury riddled for 18 & 19. 

I think most educated fans knew it was a bad move, but transition wise for the team Teddy's contract isn't detrimental and the first thing I thought was 3 years, means he's gone after 2 years. It's a lot easier for a rookie QB to replace Teddy, than it would be to have replaced Cam. 

This was the best way to lose games, while winning some. Teddy even in NO was limited in those starts as a passer, NO just had a much more complimentary roster. I mean imagine a healthy Cam with our guys on offense now and behind what was actually one of the better Panther OL when all the ''starters'' started. 

37 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I don't think Tepper thought this roster was a winner or close to it, and he gave us every indication he expected it to be  

While Rhule said (or implied) it was, I doubt he thought so, either. 

Whether Hurney thought so or not is an entirely different matter, but as much as I pick on him, I doubt he did, either.

In each case, I suspect the thought was it was as good as they were going to put on the field after flushing the toilet.  But everybody had to know they had just flushed the toilet. 

Hurney probably thought it was enough to keep his job, but thankfully Tepper did not agree.

Tepper said prepare for 5 or more years to right the ship, but then signs off on multiple bad contracts in Teddy, CMC, and Shaq?  A backup QB, a RB with 2 years left on his deal, and an off ball LB to a massive contract?

How can he look at the roster, hire a "builder" in a coach, then allow the GM to make mistake after mistake after mistake and shoot his shot early.  Why didn't we actually build like he said he wanted to?

Also, just a year after making those statements, now we are in a RUSH to find a top 10 signal caller while apparently not caring at all about the long term future of the team?

I just simply don't understand.  Frustrated is the correct feeling maybe.  I know many here get excited when things "change"...new coach, new QB, new GM, etc....but until the winning starts, or until I can feel comfortable with how the team is operating, I'm gonna remain pretty damn skeptical.

• Flames 1

17 hours ago, MVPccaffrey said:

Because Joe Brady vouched for him and Tepper was still naively thinking that owners should always defer to the "football guys", which of course is a mantra spread by the very same football guys to promote their job security

Look like that's a s demerit on Brady.

my guess...

cam newton was never part of tepper's plans for the future, and things had the possibility to get messy behind the scenes real quick with newton wanting the organization to commit to him.

out goes cam.

in comes teddy...a rushed spur of the moment decision.

Edited by nosuchthingasapanther

11 hours ago, NJPanthers89 said:

It never made any sense to me, and still doesn’t.  It’s a move that sadly has Hurneys fingerprints all over it.  The move, and I said it at the time was simple.  You let Cam Newton play out the final year of his contract.  If he plays well great, you can sign him, or you can tag and trade him while his value is up.  If he plays like ass your letting him walk, and ultimately picking in the top 5 and drafting a QB for the future.  

I don’t know why this was such a difficult concept for the front office and frankly is a move that’s given me pause.  It was the play to make.  Instead they signed Teddy, completely killing any trade opportunities they may have had for Cam.  Once Teddy was signed everyone knew Cam was about to become a casualty.  I just don’t understand the rush in signing him, nor the contract.

I’m praying I’m right and it was all Hurney because if it was Rhules incompetence I’m worried.  But I’m confident only Hurney can mess a situation up this bad, he’s just done this so many times before.

Good riddance to Marty Hurney the worst thing that’s ever happened to this franchise.

I still wonder how much that video sipping wine and smoking a cigar played into all of this. If I’m looking at this strictly from a management position, seeing my leader, my foreman, lead supervisor, whatever, come out and say he made a conscious decision to deceive leadership and hide vital information crucial to the success of the team from those that needed to know and then make a video for the public to explain it all, I don’t know how you don’t move on from that, especially given his injury situation. As much as I valued an employee, I’d have to let them go for seriously undermining the company. I know this is the NFL and franchise QBs don’t grow on trees, but you have to believe that didn’t sit well. I think that’s why it took so long. It wasn’t an easy decision to make and the consequences serious, but in the end, I believe it played at least somewhat of a role.