• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL.com Five NFL stars who SHOULD be traded this offseason

panthers320

Christian McCaffrey

McCaffrey was one of my "untradeable" players from just a year ago, but it's not crazy to think the Panthers could move on from him this offseason. Now, it should be noted the injuries from 2020 would likely make his trade value the lowest of his NFL career. However, he's only going to turn 25 in June, so he's still in the prime of his career and would be a valuable commodity. Which makes you think Carolina should hold on to him. But the Panthers aren't close to the Super Bowl. And if they draft a quarterback to essentially turn the page on Teddy Bridgewater (seems quite feasible), the Panthers take a further step back from the Super Bowl. Especially in the short-term.

Why not restock the roster (and they did a great job of this last year) by sending McCaffrey to Seattle? At first blush, this seems like a fun option. It'd make Russell Wilson a whole lot happier, while keeping the Seahawks competitive with the Buccaneers and Packers, the two top teams in the conference. But the 'Hawks already dealt their next two first-round picks to the Jets for Jamal Adams. What about CMC to Buffalo? That'd not only give the Bills a much-needed rushing attack, but another stellar pass catcher for Josh Allen. In fact, let's do that instead. Probably gonna need to happen after June 1, to alleviate some dead-cap pain.

https://www.nfl.com/news/five-nfl-stars-who-should-be-traded-this-offseason

Absolutely terrible article. This makes no sense to trade him away if Watson isn't coming back. I agree there are a lot of holes on the team. But a healthy CMC, a half way decent QB (which obviously is tough to do) and a growing D and we arent that far from contending. Also I would argue we would be a step closer to the Super Bowl with drafting a QB. 

Moral of this story, typical offseason BS

Edited by panthers320

If the price is right, do it.  I just don't consider running backs the commodities that they used to be.  CMC is a stellar player, but as I've said before, oftentimes his most productive outings come as a result of us getting beaten into the dirt and him being the only guy we can think of to get the ball to.  If trading one great player plugs up 2 or 3 holes with good players, it's worth it.

• Pie 3

I still think talk of trading CMC is ignoring the dead money cap hit that comes with it. I'm not so sure CMC will be on the trading block this year.  However, we've seen other teams swallow a huge dead money hit, so I guess it's still possible. I suspect that as weird as this year has been, we'll see some mind blowing things this offseason in the NFL.

• Beer 3

21 minutes ago, panthers320 said:

Absolutely terrible article. This makes no sense to trade him away if Watson isn't coming back. I agree there are a lot of holes on the team. But a healthy CMC, a half way decent QB (which obviously is tough to do) and a growing D and we arent that far from contending. Also I would argue we would be a step closer to the Super Bowl with drafting a QB. 

Moral of this story, typical offseason BS

Joe Person's latest Athletic article is better.

He asked three NFL personnel executives to rank the top ten Panthers players they'd want to trade for.

this just sounds like a columnist trying to have some fun with other teams at our expense. What does SEA actually have to offer, lol? They dont have any draft capital to trade us.... Adam Rank needs to do some research.. the Bills couldnt afford CMC without cutting key players and they have to prep for the massive offer they are about to give Allen.....

14 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

The only way I'd trade CMC is for an elite QB or a draft haul. Like 2 first round picks and change. Otherwise we are just nuking our cap space we just created.

Yeah if we could get two firsts for him I’d do it. Also can’t we split up the dead cap hit over the remainder of his contract? Thought I read on here it’d be something like 4.5 dead cap per year for 4 years or something like that.