• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Could we be sleeping on Mac Jones? Charlie Weiss says YES.

SCO96

1 hour ago, thefuzz said:

Just tossing it out there, but the super athletically gifted passers typically burst onto the scene a little faster...but the really good passers tend to stick around for a LONG time.

Not many people are going to look at Brady, Manning 1 or 2, Rivers, Stafford, etc...and knock them for their inability to scramble or rack up yards...but they were/are starters for 20 years and you can win championships with them.

I would much prefer to have a Josh Allen or Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers...those dudes have it all...but I'm not going to bitch if we get a slow footed, but really good passer.

Mac Jones isn't my cup of tea, but he could absolutely be a very good starter in the league.

All the QB you name basically were drafted 15-20 years ago.. You don't see how the game has changed..

20 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Cool let some other team make that stupid mistake for a career backup..

Oh don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying we should draft him. I’m just saying don’t expect him to be there with our 2nd round pick. I personally like Fields outside of Lawrence...

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

Oh don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying we should draft him. I’m just saying don’t expect him to be there with our 2nd round pick. I personally like Fields outside of Lawrence...

No not attacking you just the sentiment that just because some teams are dumb about stuff like this doesn't mean we should be.. That's the reason we wasted a 3rd rounder on Grier..

• Pie 1

Jones---if you give him a great OL, a CMC, and good WRs and a good TE, he could be about like Locke in Denver, maybe better. 

If he is there in the second, I am not sure I would take him.  A QB needs to be a stud or you don't have one.  It is a wasted pick.  If Grier was drafted in round 5, you still would have no QB--just a better round to waste a pick

Edited by MHS831

2 hours ago, thefuzz said:

Just tossing it out there, but the super athletically gifted passers typically burst onto the scene a little faster...but the really good passers tend to stick around for a LONG time.

Not many people are going to look at Brady, Manning 1 or 2, Rivers, Stafford, etc...and knock them for their inability to scramble or rack up yards...but they were/are starters for 20 years and you can win championships with them.

I would much prefer to have a Josh Allen or Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers...those dudes have it all...but I'm not going to bitch if we get a slow footed, but really good passer.

Mac Jones isn't my cup of tea, but he could absolutely be a very good starter in the league.

No argument.

He wouldn't be my choice, especially not at 8, but if we take him I'll hope for the best.

Just now, MHS831 said:

My problem (as if this is the only one) is that I do not trust Alabama QBs, Ohio State QBs, or QBs from FCS schools.  I guess there are some decent/not recent BYU QBs.

Probably (and I have not thought this through) the best QBU lately has been NC State. 

The problem in most of these places is they're seen as quarterbacks who just happened to be on exceptional teams rather than exceptional quarterbacks.

And yeah, previous draftees have lent a lot of support to that idea.

7 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

My problem (as if this is the only one) is that I do not trust Alabama QBs, Ohio State QBs, or QBs from FCS schools.  I guess there are some decent/not recent BYU QBs.

Probably (and I have not thought this through) the best QBU lately has been NC State. 

Wisconsin fans be like...how you gonna do that? 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Clemson getting in the mix.  Will have 2 hyped up QBs leading teams this upcoming year.  Which no school probably tops that in 2021.  The Jaguars and obviously the Panthers. 

Oklahoma:

Baker Mayfield, Jalen Hurts, Kyler Murray.  All current NFL starters.  Spencer Rattler will join them next year.  Landry Jones a recent NFL starter.  And Sam Bradford went #1 overall in 2010.  (That’s three #1 overall QB’s from one school in 10 years)

No school can top that recent history.

Just now, HardcoreHokie said:

Oklahoma:

Baker Mayfield, Jalen Hurts, Kyler Murray.  All current NFL starters.  Spencer Rattler will join them next year.  Landry Jones a recent NFL starter.  And Sam Bradford went #1 overall in 2010.  (That’s three #1 overall QB’s from one school in 10 years)

No school can top that recent history.

OU probably owns the top spot.  If NC State gets right's to Wilson? I'd be open to giving that duo the edge over that that trio.  Wilson/Rivers stronger than two of your pick IMO.  You throw in Jacoby just to make it an even 3 vs 3?   Tough.  I just said Clemson was getting in the mix.  

But don't be talking about Spencer Rattler and Sam "Biggest Thief in NFL History" Bradford.   You don't see me bringing up Clipboard Jesus trying to pad the stats and talking about wonder kid DJ warming up. 

6 hours ago, SCO96 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/21/charlie-weis-mac-jones-has-the-two-most-important-components-of-a-quarterback/

Just wanted to throw this up to see what you guys think. Charlie Weis seems to think Mac Jones is gonna light it up in the NFL. I can't say I feel the same way. Weiss is the guy who said Brady Quinn would become a star QB in the pros. Still, he did coach Brady during the early years and helped lay the foundation for the most accomplished QB in NFL history. I'll post a little of the article below.

---

"Although more young quarterbacks are landing on the right side of the pass/fail test than ever before, there’s still no crystal ball when it comes to figuring out which ones will be the best. The top two picks in 2015 were supposed to be sure things; they weren’t. Ditto for 2016. Every draft has one or more quarterbacks to whom we can now point and say, “Oops.”

“Oops” can be said in a bad way, and in a good way. One guy for whom “oops” eventually could be said in a good way is Alabama quarterback Mac Jones. Currently not at the top of the stack of prospects, former Patriots offensive coordinator and Notre Dame head coach Charlie Weis thinks he could be.

“What are the two most important components of a star quarterback?” Weis told Mike Reiss of ESPN.com. “They have the ‘it’ factor. And they’re accurate. That’s who he was.”

“When you talk about Trevor Lawrence, what makes him so special is that he can do everything Mac Jones can and he’s athletic,” Weis said. “[Justin] Fields, really good player. Zach Wilson, really good player. The kid from North Dakota State [Trey Lance], really good player. . . . But this guy, [Jones], he’s the one making all the plays. All he does is win and throw completions.”

----

I've only seen him play Florida and Ohio State. He looked ok to me in both games. I have no idea how he did at the Senior Bowl. If we can't get a QB in round 1 or a FA this offseason, do you take a chance on him if he's available in round 2?

Tannenbaum seems to think that Jones is going top 10. Only way I’m good with Jones is if we have a top 5 OL. Otherwise he’s gonna be a miserable failure. He is going to HAVE to have a good line to succeed.