• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Could we be sleeping on Mac Jones? Charlie Weiss says YES.

SCO96

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/21/charlie-weis-mac-jones-has-the-two-most-important-components-of-a-quarterback/

Just wanted to throw this up to see what you guys think. Charlie Weis seems to think Mac Jones is gonna light it up in the NFL. I can't say I feel the same way. Weiss is the guy who said Brady Quinn would become a star QB in the pros. Still, he did coach Brady during the early years and helped lay the foundation for the most accomplished QB in NFL history. I'll post a little of the article below.

---

"Although more young quarterbacks are landing on the right side of the pass/fail test than ever before, there’s still no crystal ball when it comes to figuring out which ones will be the best. The top two picks in 2015 were supposed to be sure things; they weren’t. Ditto for 2016. Every draft has one or more quarterbacks to whom we can now point and say, “Oops.”

“Oops” can be said in a bad way, and in a good way. One guy for whom “oops” eventually could be said in a good way is Alabama quarterback Mac Jones. Currently not at the top of the stack of prospects, former Patriots offensive coordinator and Notre Dame head coach Charlie Weis thinks he could be.

“What are the two most important components of a star quarterback?” Weis told Mike Reiss of ESPN.com. “They have the ‘it’ factor. And they’re accurate. That’s who he was.”

“When you talk about Trevor Lawrence, what makes him so special is that he can do everything Mac Jones can and he’s athletic,” Weis said. “[Justin] Fields, really good player. Zach Wilson, really good player. The kid from North Dakota State [Trey Lance], really good player. . . . But this guy, [Jones], he’s the one making all the plays. All he does is win and throw completions.”

----

I've only seen him play Florida and Ohio State. He looked ok to me in both games. I have no idea how he did at the Senior Bowl. If we can't get a QB in round 1 or a FA this offseason, do you take a chance on him if he's available in round 2?

Edited by SCO96
  • Pie 1

5 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

He won’t make it to the 2nd round.

He is usually slated as the 5th best QB and 5 QBs probably will go so you're probably right. The second will have guys like Trask, Newman, Mond, Mills, etc.

Don't know enough about those to say if we should get them in the second and pick the LT at 8. Something tells me this FO wants a bigger/better name than those but we'll see.

Dudes the most mechanically sound QB behind Lawrence. Makes NFL throws on the regular and has great pocket presence. Scouting the player and not the helmet he's easily better than McCarron and way more polished than someone like Daniel Jones, Mitch Tribusky and Blake Bottles. He's a first round QB easy.

I'd say the asking price of QBs make him worth a top 10 pick. He has a higher ceiling than QBs that got this kind of rise like Ponder, Dalton, etc. But I get the question marks, but I think they're overblown a tad with the hype around pocket presence.

Is he a better prospect that Fields, Wilson, Lawrence and Lance? Athletically no, not even close. But I think people parrot his weakpoints and over look how his play was just as vital to that Albama offense this season. He's a damn good QB.

• Pie 5

13 minutes ago, CRA said:

If Mac Jones was there at our 2nd pick? Yeah, I would draft him.   Would be worth the value/risk there.   I wouldn't make that my plan.   Just if it happened to unfold where we missed out on everyone. 

First round? Nope. 

We have bigger needs than a backup/journeyman caliber QB. If you miss on the top 4, your evaluation better show he is a top 15 caliber prospect. If not, get a player that can actually help us.

• Flames 1

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

We have bigger needs than a backup/journeyman caliber QB. If you miss on the top 4, your evaluation better show he is a top 15 caliber prospect. If not, get a player that can actually help us.

well, I'm a believer that NFL draft history is what it is.....and you have to take certain calculated gambles. I'd take the gamble in the 2nd.   

NFL history pretty consistently says the top 4 drafted won't actually be the top 4 in reality. 

• Pie 2

20 minutes ago, Fox007 said:
21 minutes ago, CRA said:

If Mac Jones was there at our 2nd pick? Yeah, I would draft him.   Would be worth the value/risk there. 

First round? Nope. 

That is my take on Jones as well. Good value at our second pick, especially if we got a LT at #8

OK, since this is all just speculation...We go LT at 8, then trade #39 and 2022 2nd round pick to Miami to pick Jones at 18. IF he makes it past SF and NE.

• Poo 1

Just now, shaqattaq said:

OK, since this is all just speculation...We go LT at 8, then trade #39 and 2022 2nd round pick to Miami to pick Jones at 18. IF he makes it past SF and NE.

No thanks.  I like the gamble on Jones if he falls to our 2nd pick.  I don't like him in the first and trading up to get him. 

1 minute ago, CRA said:

well, I'm a believer that NFL draft history is what it is.....and you have to take certain calculated gambles. I'd take the gamble in the 2nd. 

NFL history pretty consistently says the top 4 drafted won't actually be the top 4 in reality. 

We don't have gambling room. That second round pick could easily be an 8 year starter on our OL versus a 4 year backup QB that signs elsewhere to be a backup.

The history of non-first round QB's is not kind. It's fun to point out the outliers but they are that precisely for that reason, they are remarkable. 

How did that Will Grier gamble work out? Jimmy Clausen? Pike? LeFors? Fasani? Wienke? Colquitt? 

Those are just OUR non-first round QB's. The rest of the league isn't too far off.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1