• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Could we be sleeping on Mac Jones? Charlie Weiss says YES.

SCO96

30 minutes ago, Louie said:

If we don't trade for Desean Watson and Wilson and Fields is already gone when we pick at 8. I might would draft Mac Jones. The kid just won. He hit receivers in stride and made good decisions. HE made the decisions to throw it and completed the passes. I know his team was good! Joe Burrow's team was good! Trevor Lawrence's team was good! I think he is just a winner. People are over analyzing him like they did Herbert last year! 

Pass efficiency QBR
1. Mac Jones 203.9 1. Mac Jones 96.0
2. Joe Burrow 202 2. Kyler Murray 95.4
3. Tua Tagovailoa 199.4 3. Joe Burrow 94.9
4. Kyler Murray 199.2 4. Tua Tagovailoa 94.8
5. Baker Mayfield 198.9 5. Justin Fields 94.8
6. Baker Mayfield 196.4 6. Russell Wilson 94.1
7. Justin Fields 196.1 7. Andrew Luck 93.1
8. Zach WIlson 195.4 8. Tua Tagovailoa 93.1
9. Kaleb Eleby 194.8 9. Baker Mayfield 92.3
10. Dustin Crum 192.7 10. Justin Fields 92.1

Herbert had elite skills almost across the board. His concerns were largely related to the offense he was playing in. 

Jones has very few discernable elite attributes save perhaps touch and timing. 

There is a reason he hasn't ascended past players like Lance, Fields or Wilson on most boards.

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, Cuttinedge said:

He won’t make it past  New Englands 1st Rd pick   He may turn out to be good in the nfl but he isn’t #8 worthy 

I'd live to see him in New England. I don't want to see them ever recover from losing Brady and drafting him would be a great way to keep that streak going.

• Pie 3

I've been saying it for a while now and I'm going to keep saying it: Mac Jones will be our pick. And he'll be the right pick.

I know, a lot of folks more in the know are saying he's a bust, doesn't have it, would be a wasted pick. Heard the same thing, from a lot of the same people, when I said CMC would be our pick at #8. They were wrong, so wrong, then and they are wrong again.

People point at Jones and say he is a product of the system. He had a pro quality O-line. Pro-level receivers and RB. Had pro-level coaching and game planning. Pro-type program all around. He had everything a professional football team should be able to provide him, right?

So how did he do?

The guy was accurate (311-422, 77.4%, 4500 yards in 13 games, 11.7 yds avg, 41 TD, 4 INT), won every game he played in last season (including a playoff game AND the national championship) and even Nick Saban praised the guy's maturity and leadership. 

He's not a gym rat, he's not the tallest guy out there and he's certainly not the fastest. But he wins. He works. He does the film study. He reads the defense. He spreads the ball around. To the right team.

He's the pick. If not, then we will live to regret it big time.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, AU-panther said:

very true.  People love to look at the just the first round QBs and conclude that the chance of being right is low, which it is, but you have to take the time to compare it to the other rounds.

Maybe the chance of a 1st round QB is only 20%, seems low, but maybe the chance of a later round QB is only 2%.  That means you are 10 times more likely to be right in the first.  

A team that is constantly trying to beat the odds in the later rounds usually  just ends up wasting draft picks that could have been used on players that had a realistic chance of working out.

The actual numbers over the last 25 years is that the first round QB's succeed at about 50%, and the other rounds at about 10%.  The last 10 years or so have been weaker.

I read somewhere on the Huddle in the last couple days that an analyst had predicted that would be the case due to so many one read systems cropping up in the college game.  If true, that guy is a genius.

1 hour ago, Louie said:

If we don't trade for Desean Watson and Wilson and Fields is already gone when we pick at 8. I might would draft Mac Jones. The kid just won. He hit receivers in stride and made good decisions. HE made the decisions to throw it and completed the passes. I know his team was good! Joe Burrow's team was good! Trevor Lawrence's team was good! I think he is just a winner. People are over analyzing him like they did Herbert last year! 

Pass efficiency QBR
1. Mac Jones 203.9 1. Mac Jones 96.0
2. Joe Burrow 202 2. Kyler Murray 95.4
3. Tua Tagovailoa 199.4 3. Joe Burrow 94.9
4. Kyler Murray 199.2 4. Tua Tagovailoa 94.8
5. Baker Mayfield 198.9 5. Justin Fields 94.8
6. Baker Mayfield 196.4 6. Russell Wilson 94.1
7. Justin Fields 196.1 7. Andrew Luck 93.1
8. Zach WIlson 195.4 8. Tua Tagovailoa 93.1
9. Kaleb Eleby 194.8 9. Baker Mayfield 92.3
10. Dustin Crum 192.7 10. Justin Fields 92.1

ffs this again.  Mac Jones hit receivers running so ridiculously wide open that anyone could have done it.  This is the same Mac Jones who couldn't manage to beat out Tua at 'Bama.  Tua, who has looked flat out bad in the NFL.

Show me Jones fitting a ball in a tight window.  Show me Jones hitting the deep out cross field.  Show me Jones bringing his team back from behind in the fourth.

Listen, it's not his fault he never had to show that.  I get it.  But he still hasn't shown it.  I'd rather have a guy who has shown those things.  I'd rather have a guy who played out of his mind on a two or three loss college team, that dealt with adversity, who didn't have the best around him and showed some of those NFL traits.

As an Auburn fan, let me honestly tell you this...

I think Bama QB Mac Jones is the 2nd best QB in this draft behind Justin Fields.

Sorry for hurting the Clemson fans in here’s feelings, but there it is.  I think Lawrence has the highest “bust” potential of all the top QB prospects in this draft.

25 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

I think Bama QB Mac Jones is the 2nd best QB in this draft behind Justin Fields.

Sorry for hurting the Clemson fans in here’s feelings, but there it is.  I think Lawrence has the highest “bust” potential of all the top QB prospects in this draft.

Our Rivalry used to be an every year thing and Auburn burned us up for most of it but I feel a bit of that 0-4 since 2011 salt coming out in this post Tiger! haha

I'm sure it has nothing to do with that 🙂

38 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Now, I think there is a conversation of is Lawrence being overrated.  Given he is basically put in the Peyton Manning/Elway/Luck tier of a NFL draft. 

Trevor is easily the most talented QB in this draft.   From a skill set perspective.  And his on field performances.   He is as safe of a bet as their is.   Will his ceiling be as high as some predict? Well, the Jags will have a lot to do with that.