• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Could we be sleeping on Mac Jones? Charlie Weiss says YES.

SCO96

Just now, BrizzMachete said:

Where is this he’s throwing to wide open guys narrative coming from i see it used so many times this pass year or so never before. You know how many qbs i seen miss wide open guys down the field ?  Now it’s a problem when they make a completion to them lol  . It’s lazy to judge a qb off of just that . Guess Joe burrow is gonna be bust as well cause his guys was running wide open all over the field his last year. Check out his (Mac Jones) red zone throws dude has great ball placement i like him that’s just me tho. 

Watch his passes vs. Burrow's and stop being emotional. Burrows hit dudes in stride. With Jones, those receivers are generally having to slow down and/or make other adjustments. That gives NFL DBs time to recover. There aren't going to be many times where you're open by ten yards in the NFL like those Bama WRs were.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

being able to throw deep isn't the same as being willing to.

I doubt there is a huge difference in arm strength between the two, Teddy just chooses to be really conservative for whatever reason.

If being able to throw deep was the only quality you needed to be a good nfl qb then you would have a point . There is a huge difference between the two and if you don’t see it then you don’t wanna see it . 

If being able to throw deep was the only quality you needed to be a good nfl qb then you would have a point . There is a huge difference between the two and if you don’t see it then you don’t wanna see it . 

It's almost like you didn't watch the Panthers play this year. 

Stop watching the results of college plays/games and thinking it directly translates to the NFL because it worked in college. Oh yay! Mac Jones just completed a 50 yard pass for a TD! He's amazing! Nevermind that the WR had the CB beat by ten yards but nearly had to come to complete stop allowing him to nearly catch up then simply out-motored the physically out-matched CB to the endzone.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Watch his passes vs. Burrow's and stop being emotional. Burrows hit dudes in stride. With Jones, those receivers are generally having to slow down and/or make other adjustments. That gives NFL DBs time to recover. There aren't going to be many times where you're open by ten yards in the NFL like those Bama WRs were.

I’m not being emotional why would you make that assumption if you wasn’t being emotional your self . Your guy Zach Wilson is not it stop crying every-time someone state that fact . He’s Mitch Tribusky 2.0 all over again . Mac Jones will be better that’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it . Quote me on that . Every thing you saying about Mac i could counter and say about Zach that’s why it’s funny . Yeah his arm talent is better but it’s plenty of throws i seen that would’ve been picks in the nfl . 

I’m not being emotional why would you make that assumption if you wasn’t being emotional your self . Your guy Zach Wilson is not it stop crying every-time someone state that fact . He’s Mitch Tribusky 2.0 all over again . Mac Jones will be better that’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it . Quote me on that . Every thing you saying about Mac i could counter and say about Zach that’s why it’s funny . Yeah his arm talent is better but it’s plenty of throws i seen that would’ve been picks in the nfl . 

Emotional Internet Guy 101 - Build a Strawman

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's almost like you didn't watch the Panthers play this year. 

Stop watching the results of college plays/games and thinking it directly translates to the NFL because it worked in college. Oh yay! Mac Jones just completed a 50 yard pass for a TD! He's amazing! Nevermind that the WR had the CB beat by ten yards but nearly had to come to complete stop allowing him to nearly catch up then simply out-motored the physically out-matched CB to the endzone.

But I’m the emotional one lol stop assuming champ it’s okay we disagree it doesn't have to go no further than that . 

52 minutes ago, Fox007 said:

Our Rivalry used to be an every year thing and Auburn burned us up for most of it but I feel a bit of that 0-4 since 2011 salt coming out in this post Tiger! haha

I'm sure it has nothing to do with that 🙂

Sorry, Cousin Clem, just my honestly held opinion.

My salt is reserved for Bama and UGA.

Sorry, Clem, but your Rivalry Application has been officially:

denied-stamp.jpg?ssl=1

Maybe try Syracuse? 😛 

4 hours ago, Rags said:

Dudes the most mechanically sound QB behind Lawrence. Makes NFL throws on the regular and has great pocket presence. Scouting the player and not the helmet he's easily better than McCarron and way more polished than someone like Daniel Jones, Mitch Tribusky and Blake Bottles. He's a first round QB easy.

I'd say the asking price of QBs make him worth a top 10 pick. He has a higher ceiling than QBs that got this kind of rise like Ponder, Dalton, etc. But I get the question marks, but I think they're overblown a tad with the hype around pocket presence.

Is he a better prospect that Fields, Wilson, Lawrence and Lance? Athletically no, not even close. But I think people parrot his weakpoints and over look how his play was just as vital to that Albama offense this season. He's a damn good QB.

Cowherd just predicted he is the most likely first round QB to be a bust. At Alabama he had great receivers frequently open and an Oline that usually gave him a great pocket to throw from and a great coach. Finding all that in the NFL on one team, impossible.  All that on top of being unathletic.

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

The first round is far kinder statistically. This has been something that had been looked at by more than one source and the statistics bear out that first round QB's have greater career success on average. That shouldn't be a surprise, as they are typically widely regarded as better prospects.

I am not interested in a non-first round QB this season not only because those prospects are not likely to be any better than what we have now but because we are a team with many needs and "wishing and hoping" in the second round is sort of what our past GM was famous for.

This is an extremely deep OL draft, take a guy that can replace replace 3-4 starters that will be gone from that unit. Or take any number of othet positions we have big two deep needs(TE, DE, DT, LB, S, CB, etc).

It'll still all boil down to the scouting/evaluation of each individual QB.  What round a QB was drafted in is ultimately meaningless as a standalone metric; the only reason we reference it, is because it's convenient to make these types of generalizations when we're looking at things at a macro level.

Think of it this way: if we draft Mac Jones in the 1st round vs. the 2nd round, does that mean he's more likely to succeed?  Arguably less so, since we'll presumably be getting a lesser complementary player in the 2nd round as a result (i.e. WR, o-lineman).

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

I've been saying it for a while now and I'm going to keep saying it: Mac Jones will be our pick. And he'll be the right pick.

I know, a lot of folks more in the know are saying he's a bust, doesn't have it, would be a wasted pick. Heard the same thing, from a lot of the same people, when I said CMC would be our pick at #8. They were wrong, so wrong, then and they are wrong again.

People point at Jones and say he is a product of the system. He had a pro quality O-line. Pro-level receivers and RB. Had pro-level coaching and game planning. Pro-type program all around. He had everything a professional football team should be able to provide him, right?

So how did he do?

The guy was accurate (311-422, 77.4%, 4500 yards in 13 games, 11.7 yds avg, 41 TD, 4 INT), won every game he played in last season (including a playoff game AND the national championship) and even Nick Saban praised the guy's maturity and leadership. 

He's not a gym rat, he's not the tallest guy out there and he's certainly not the fastest. But he wins. He works. He does the film study. He reads the defense. He spreads the ball around. To the right team.

He's the pick. If not, then we will live to regret it big time.

This will be a fun read in three months. 

• Pie 1

I think there are handful of throws that Mac Jones simply can't make in the NFL...that Trevor and Fields can.  I honestly haven't watched enough of Lance and Wilson to judge their arm strength.  Just what I have read. 

I'd feel more comfortable about an unathletic QB if he had a laser. 

30 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Sorry, Cousin Clem, just my honestly held opinion.

My salt is reserved for Bama and UGA.

Sorry, Clem, but your Rivalry Application has been officially:

denied-stamp.jpg?ssl=1

Maybe try Syracuse? 😛 

Hey now it was a real rivalry back in nineteen tickety two for our Boomer fans. Like any great team we have to get beat by some random ass scrub team or it's not a legit arrival.

• Pie 1