• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Could we be sleeping on Mac Jones? Charlie Weiss says YES.

SCO96

19 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

Tannenbaum seems to think that Jones is going top 10. Only way I’m good with Jones is if we have a top 5 OL. Otherwise he’s gonna be a miserable failure. He is going to HAVE to have a good line to succeed. 

If Indy hadn't traded for Wentz the Colts may have been a good fit for him. The O-line only gave up 19 sacks with an older/immobile Phillip Rivers at the QB spot. 

Edited by SCO96
  • Pie 1

27 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

If Indy hadn't traded for Wentz the Colts may have been a good fit for him. The O-line only gave up 19 sacks with an older/immobile Phillip Rivers at the QB spot. 

Its crazy how those sack numbers go down when you invest in a oline.  Rivers and Brady are statues but we're well protected.  

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

It'll still all boil down to the scouting/evaluation of each individual QB.  What round a QB was drafted in is ultimately meaningless as a standalone metric; the only reason we reference it, is because it's convenient to make these types of generalizations when we're looking at things at a macro level.

Think of it this way: if we draft Mac Jones in the 1st round vs. the 2nd round, does that mean he's more likely to succeed?  Arguably less so, since we'll presumably be getting a lesser complementary player in the 2nd round as a result (i.e. WR, o-lineman).

I agree with this completely. A big reason a lot of these 1st round guys do end up busting is teams reaching on these prospects. 

Do a thorough evaluation and you should be able to avoid more of those busts.

• Beer 1

28 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:
4 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

It'll still all boil down to the scouting/evaluation of each individual QB.  What round a QB was drafted in is ultimately meaningless as a standalone metric; the only reason we reference it, is because it's convenient to make these types of generalizations when we're looking at things at a macro level.

Think of it this way: if we draft Mac Jones in the 1st round vs. the 2nd round, does that mean he's more likely to succeed?  Arguably less so, since we'll presumably be getting a lesser complementary player in the 2nd round as a result (i.e. WR, o-lineman).

I agree with this completely. A big reason a lot of these 1st round guys do end up busting is teams reaching on these prospects. 

Do a thorough evaluation and you should be able to avoid more of those busts.

I agree with BOTH of You. In fact,that's why I'm gung-ho of taking any of the QB's after Lawrence in round one. This draft seems pretty deep. I'd love to get a couple of o-lineman, and possibly at least two defensive starters out of this draft. Build a better team on both sides of the ball and we probably could get our franchise guy NEXT YEAR via the draft, trade, or free agency. Whoever we got would be more likely to succeed because he'd have a better supporting cast.

• Beer 1