• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Backup QB plan

AU-panther

Lets say Watson isn't traded or ends up elsewhere.  Lets imagine that the cost of trading up to 3 or 5 is to high.  Maybe all 4 QBs go before 8.

Sign Jameis, draft Pitts, and lets score some points.  Maybe we score 40 and win, or we score 30 with 3 interceptions and lose.  Either way it will be entertaining games. 🙂

I meant this kind of joking but there is some merit to it.  I'm starting to get a little bit of a concern that we might overpay for someone out of desperation.  Sometimes the best option is to punt. 

Signing Jameis and then drafting Pitts or a OT would actually be a low risk option compared to selling the farm to trade up.  Jameis might actually surprsise some people, he definitely has arm talent. His reputation for turnovers might have been influenced somewhat by playing in an Arians offense at TB.

Jameis with our offensive weapons would probably put up good numbers.  Worst case he walks in a year and you flip him for a comp pick.

He could be a buy low, sell higher possibility with some upside potential, whereas Teddy is going to end up being a buy high, sell low signing, that based on history didn't really have much upside.

• Poo 1

I like Jameis but the odds of him still being on the market after the NFL Draft are pretty slim. 

If we haven't gotten a valid free agent option prior to the draft, there aren't likely to be many better options that Teddy on the free agent market. There aren't going to be but a couple when free agency opens.

The upside is there, but I've seen enough from him that I don't think he'll ever come near reaching his potential. Being beat out by Taysom Hill as Brees' backup last year convinced me. I'd pass, but if he were cheap enough I wouldn't hate it. Just wouldn't have any confidence that it'd work out here.

42 minutes ago, t96 said:

The upside is there, but I've seen enough from him that I don't think he'll ever come near reaching his potential. Being beat out by Taysom Hill as Brees' backup last year convinced me. I'd pass, but if he were cheap enough I wouldn't hate it. Just wouldn't have any confidence that it'd work out here.

Was he beat out?  Or did Payton just have a hard-on for Hill?

I'm a lot higher on Jameis than others, I'll admit.  Yes, his turnovers are a problem, but 30 INTs is almost certainly an aberration even by his standards.  I think with good coaching and effective run game to take the load off of him he could easily be a Pro Bowl quality QB.  And I'd EASILY take him over Teddy.

I agree with you though it would have to be a cheap deal.  But I do have confidence it could work out.  

If there's no Watson, we better root he goes to the Dolphins and HOU gets Tua. Then we can trade up w/ the Jets at #2 if we want Zach Wilson.

Worst case would be Deshaun is a Jet, HOU picks a QB high and maybe we don't want Fields/a trade to #3. 

In this worst case, I'd prefer the run at Dak once he gets the non-exclusive tag designation from Dallas.  That cost is (2) first round picks.

Next after that is Trey Lance at pick #5-8 (trade up or not)

Next after that would be Sam Darnold for a 3rd

Next after that would be Drew Lock (he can be had)

Next after that is CJ Beathard

Next after that is long shot, wait for it, wait for it....

NATE SUDFELD b*tches.

Fitzpatrick for back qb or stop gap starter if we whiff on everything.. 

would love to draft pitts but we are not drafting a TE ... Joe Brady offense doesn’t value them .... I wish they just tell Joe he is a WR... assuming of course that samuels ain’t coming back (which I think is 60-40 he isn’t coming back) 

• Pie 1