Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

Panthers sign tackle Trent Scott to one-year deal


Recommended Posts

He showed promise. I didn't hate him. Everyone has to give a "Teddy factor" to every lineman when evaluating them. 

Edited by KillerKat
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PhillyB said:

great signing. he was crucial depth and could play a very important part this season when we get deshaun watson and need to maximize the value of unheralded performers

Jerry Seinfeld Reaction GIF

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

He showed promise. I didn't hate him. Everyone has to give a "Teddy factor" to every lineman when evaluating them. 

It's valid to point out that Bridgewater's quick release did help some of our guys look better.

The thing I'd say about Scott though is that we saw games where both he and Greg Little blocked the same guys. Scott may not have looked elite but he looked a damn sight better than Little.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's valid to point out that Bridgewater's quick release did help some of our guys look better.

The thing I'd say about Scott though is that we saw games where both he and Greg Little blocked the same guys. Scott may not have looked elite but he looked a damn sight better than Little.

I was referring to the amount of times the line had to block due to short passes and also the many chances we had for bigger plays that were not taken that would have minimalized whatever bad the oline showed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

I was referring to the amount of times the line had to block due to short passes and also the many chances we had for bigger plays that were not taken that would have minimalized whatever bad the oline showed.

Understood. Works both ways.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

https://www.panthers.com/news/panthers-sign-tackle-trent-scott-to-one-year-deal

Scott had started 10 games in his first two years for the Chargers (where he played under now-Panthers offensive line coach Pat Meyer). The former undrafted rookie from Grambling was claimed off waivers by the Panthers last September.

----

I didn't realize Trent was undrafted and from a HBC football program. I'm glad he's made it this far. Any good team is usaully gonna have unheralded college guys like this that contribute to the success of the franchise. It would be cool if could lockdown the left side for the next 5 yesrs or so.

PS-- I'd like to share something about the a couple of Super Bowl winning teams from yesteryear.

Every o-lineman  on the great Miami team teams of the early 1970's was undrafted or cut from another team before coming to the Dolphin and contributing to arguably the best o-line in the NFL from 1970-1974.

The Denver Broncos won back to back titles in 1997-1998.

John Elway was the only only player picked in the 1st round.

Ed Macaffrey (that name sounds familiar) and RG Dan Niel were both selected in round 3.

Seven of the other starters were picked in rounds 6, 7, or undrafted. (ex Terrell Davis, Shannon Sharpe, Rod Smith, LT Tony Jones (undrafted)

FB Howard Griffith was a 9th round pick, which doesn't even exist anymore so he would have been undrafted today.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/1998_roster.htm

Who says you can't find starters all over the draft board...or from the undrafted pool of players? 

Edited by SCO96
  • Beer 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SCO96 said:

 

https://www.panthers.com/news/panthers-sign-tackle-trent-scott-to-one-year-deal

Scott had started 10 games in his first two years for the Chargers (where he played under now-Panthers offensive line coach Pat Meyer). The former undrafted rookie from Grambling was claimed off waivers by the Panthers last September.

----

I didn't realize Trent was undrafted and from a HBC football program. I'm glad he's made it this far. Any good team is usaully gonna have unheralded college guys like this that contribute to the success of the franchise. It would be cool if could lockdown the left side for the next 5 yesrs or so.

PS-- I'd like to share something about the a couple of Super Bowl winning teams from yesteryear.

Every o-lineman  on the great Miami team teams of the early 1970's was undrafted or cut from another team before coming to the Dolphin and contributing to arguably the best o-line in the NFL from 1970-1974.

The Denver Broncos won back to back titles in 1997-1998.

John Elway was the only only player picked in the 1st round.

Ed Macaffrey (that name sounds familiar) and RG Dan Niel were both selected in round 3.

Seven of the other starters were picked in rounds 6, 7, or undrafted. (ex Terrell Davis, Shannon Sharpe, Rod Smith, LT Tony Jones (undrafted)

FB Howard Griffith was a 9th round pick, which doesn't even exist anymore so he would have been undrafted today.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/1998_roster.htm

Who says you can't find starters all over the draft board...or from the undrafted pool of players? 

Great thoughts. And I’ll add that having an organization with capable talent evaluators committed to finding and developing these hidden gems is essential to that success. Something the Panthers appear to finally be figuring out.

Edited by Prowler2k18
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...