• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Greg Cosell talks QBs (you'll have to hit the link & listen to the podcast)

top dawg

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

There was a comment about Fields in the draft forum attributed to a scout, something to the effect of they examined every play of his season and he only very rarely ever looked off his first read.

Valid? No idea, but to be fair that's the way a lot of college systems are set up these days.

I wonder how often he needed to at OSU. They usually has a pretty big talent advantage. Take away the inconsistencies of 2020 (players/coaches  quarantined, had to keep canceling games etc) he put up video game numbers in 2019. I’m high on Fields. Get him focused and coached up and that Clemson game was a glimpse of what he can do.

15 minutes ago, top dawg said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/greg-cosells-nfl-draft-breakdown-accomplished-deshaun-watson-has-areas-to-work-on-164552341.html?pt=4

I'm not saying his mouth is the gospel, but he knows what he's looking at and what to look for in film. I believe that he generally won't make a definitive statement as to a potential player's efficacy in the NFL because so much has to do with where they land and a team's system and expectations, but Cosell seems spot-on with his film breakdown (and that's why he's one of my favorites).

thanks for doing this 

I’ll take that sandlot player.  After 3 seconds, what happens when the play breaks down 

pit also demonstrates ‘the want to make something from nothing’ qb. 

I think the problem they might see with Trey is they want Teddy gone today. They don’t care about the cap hit. Someone has to start next year and I don’t see any of the top abs doing that without getting killed. Could be wrong 

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

There was a comment about Fields in the draft forum attributed to a scout, something to the effect of they examined every play of his season and he only very rarely ever looked off his first read.

Valid? No idea, but to be fair that's the way a lot of college systems are set up these days.

Invalid.

Iirc, that post claimed that out of over 200+ throws that Fields only went off of his first read only 7 times all season. Just watching the first game we can see that is false but there are plenty of other concerns such as at 1:55 on the scramble, he had a wide open WR in the end zone with their hand up but tried to take it in himself, bad feet in the pocket when there's pressure, and he stares down the first read.

Same user made compilations for other prospects as well for those interested:

Trevor Lawrence

Zach Wilson

Trey Lance

Mac Jones

Ian Book

Many of you have PM'd me and asked, What do you think, MHS? 

I appreciate the desire for my input, but I have a life---the mail piled on my porch--the parade of people clogging the street at the end of my driveway---getting old.  So here it is:

Lawrence:   Jax will not trade--next.

2a Lance:  While I really like Wilson, Lance has incredible upside.

2b. Wilson:  I think Wilson is more boom or bust than Lance, although he is more pro-ready than Lance right now.  He is not going to get stronger or bigger, imo, so I wonder if he will be durable.

3.  Fields.  You can say, "whatabout Watson?" but one exception to a rule is an excuse, not a dismissal.  I would say back (referring to recent Ohio St QBs:  Whatabout Haskins? Troy Smith?  Miller?  Jones?  etc. etc. Should OSU QBs scare you?  I think he can be successful, but I am not sure about a running qb without demonstrated defense-reading literacy.  The talent is there--assume you have to develop him.  In other words, regardless of all this noise, he is likely a 2022 starting QB, not a 2021.  Same for Lance, fwiw, and maybe Wilson.

4.  Forget QB.  Maybe pick up Mond or Newman late and see if you can develop them as the #3, 

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 3

10 hours ago, NAS said:

I desperately want Lance 

If we can’t get Lance or Fields, I’m okay with waiting until ‘22 for the next crop of signal callers. There should be less competition with all the QB movement this year. But yeah Lance is my top choice @ 8.

Edited by Prowler2k18
  • Pie 1

On 2/24/2021 at 1:58 AM, Mr. Scot said:

Lot of that is bc the talent as OSU at WR is elite (next year they have two of the top draft eligible WR) and the offense he plays in. It's a concern considering he might need time to adapt to an NFL offense but the way folks have soured on him and don't want him is very reminiscent of Deshaun Watson, who threw too many picks his last year at Clemson, and Justin Herbert, whose offense did him no favors at Oregon, last year. He might fall to us and if he does I'd race to the podium. 

Edited by ImaginaryKev