• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Christian Miller

raleigh-panther

3 minutes ago, cardiackat88. said:

Whats "high risk" about a young, highly tuned, professional athlete?

Family member (link)

Miller, a fourth-round pick in 2019 out of Alabama, is considered a high-risk opt out and will earn $350,000 this season. His contract will be paused and all provisions that would have applied in 2020 will be applicable to 2021. Unlike the voluntary opt outs, the stipend for high-risk players is not considered a salary advance.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Family member (link)

Miller, a fourth-round pick in 2019 out of Alabama, is considered a high-risk opt out and will earn $350,000 this season. His contract will be paused and all provisions that would have applied in 2020 will be applicable to 2021. Unlike the voluntary opt outs, the stipend for high-risk players is not considered a salary advance.

Touche'

I have no expectations, but I hope he can come back and be a nice rotational piece like Haynes, who quietly had a nice season.

Haynes played in 15 games in 2020, ranking third on the team with 4.0 sacks while tying for the team lead with two fumble recoveries.

If Burns & YGM can both be starter caliber players (Burns already is), then I think guys like Haynes, Obada (who can also play inside) and Miller form a pretty good group, especially if we find another starter to go along Derrick Brown with Kerr and Roy providing depth.

It's certainly a better collection (especially when you consider how young we are and the potential upside) than any group since 2017.

I'm also interested to see how Snow can use Miller in a hybrid role in the same vein as Chinn.  It's nice to have a lot of young talent, we just need to figure out how to make it all work well together.

I was certainly impressed with the chicken salad Snow was able to make last year, all things considered

• Pie 2

I was high on Miller heading into 2020 and am pulling for him big time this year. Def in that JAG category with his work cut out for him for now, but the flexibility he would bring in allowing Chinn to play more SAF is huge. 

I am envisioning a highly competitive camp between guys like Miller (24 yo), Robinson (22 yo), Carter (25), Franklin (24) & Orr (23). 

• Pie 1

30 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I was thinking Miller might have had some medical condition that made him a risk, so I looked it up. Turns out that wasn't the case.

Didn't realize you could be considered high risk because of someone else but I suppose it makes sense.

It does, and kind of does not.

Would he be less likely to be infected and spread the infection when he was being COVID tested nonstop during the regular season, and being surrounded by 51 (of his own teammates, not to mention coaches and other teams) who where tested nonstop?

You can't tell me he sat in his house 24/7 and had zero contact, zero risk etc.

Not judging the man, just trying to make sense of it.

10 minutes ago, cardiackat88. said:

It does, and kind of does not.

Would he be less likely to be infected and spread the infection when he was being COVID tested nonstop during the regular season, and being surrounded by 51 (of his own teammates, not to mention coaches and other teams) who where tested nonstop?

You can't tell me he sat in his house 24/7 and had zero contact, zero risk etc.

Not judging the man, just trying to make sense of it.

You'd have to ask the NFL. It's their policy.

Edited by Mr. Scot

Hopefully he did preventive training during his off year so he won't be as injury prone as in college and his rookie year. 

Seemed to have some natural talent but only showed some vague flashes. He have a lot to prove at this level but I think he can be a positive "addition". 

20 minutes ago, kass said:

Hopefully he did preventive training during his off year so he won't be as injury prone as in college and his rookie year. 

Seemed to have some natural talent but only showed some vague flashes. He have a lot to prove at this level but I think he can be a positive "addition". 

Can you imagine if KB was still here and took a year off for Covid.....yikes!

• Pie 1

That was my fav pick form that draft, far as value. Today with new coaches, new system, year off and past injuries concerns.....he better be a renter than buy. Others have hit on it, but Haynes craved out a role and they are similar. Issue is there maybe room for only one. I think his biggest issue is the injuries, Rhule seems to want players that play and Miller always had minor stuff. I give him a 2% shot to remain a panther. 

Just to add the "high risk" stuff. Lots of reasons- wife peggars/new born, past issues with heart/lungs, over weight/type2 risk, etc along with if a old family member is living with you or close by. I remember hernaiy got asked about Miller and said it was personal matter. 

In college wasnt he an olb and mlb? Missing a year makes it harder but if he stayed in shape this offseason when he returns I think he makes the 53. Our Lb lineup has to be near the bottom of the league...esp with talks of Shaq leaving. 

If he is to be a LB, I'd question his coverage skills though. Surely, he couldnt be worse than Whitehead. 

Or will he become a situational pass rusher? Rhule and Snow seems to like multi positional players. 

Obada was a cut DE, brought back and started sharing snaps at DT (and at times looked impressive). 

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, Soul Rebel said:

Can you imagine if KB was still here and took a year off for Covid.....yikes!

Don't see how your comment is relevant to mine. 

Is it wrong of me to hope Miller can contribute on the field?

Btw...

KB is out because he was lazy, have you seen reports of Miller being lazy and adding pounds of fat?

KB was out his second year, not by choose, but still. 

KB got a second chance, his second season at the Bills and a third when picked up by Kansas...

Why are we still talking about him....

Edited by kass
  • Pie 1

Ideally if he can adjust to becoming a 4-3 OLB, we would shore up a weakness and allow Chinn to play as a defensive back full time. I could see him thrive in the role as a the 5th pass rusher in blitz packages. If he can be even semi-competent in coverage and run support, he could force himself into the starting conversation. Lots of ifs but I'm hoping he surprises.

• Pie 2