• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Charlotte real estate market

Ja  Rhule

4 minutes ago, toldozer said:

Arm loans are coming.  First time I've been concerned about a potential drop in the market but that will be 5 years down the road.  Hopefully rates aren't 13% then and it'll be fine.  I have one client that's doing the arm and another considering it. I don't like that product at all but I do get it. 

Jesus. We didn't learn poo from the last housing crisis, did we?

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

No, but we've already seen what happens to a lot of folks when you kick that can down the road.

Yeah that's why I think it's on the mortgage industry to not offer that product because as a society I feel like we like to gamble and it saves money upfront. My one buyer is using it because they are purchasing a new build and signed paperwork back in December and budgeted on 3-3.5% interest. They can afford the mortgage at 6% but don't want to.  I let them know there could be some rate fluctuations but didn't anticipate this kind of jump so we didnt really plan for it.  If it was me I would probably close on the home,  immediately sell it and make 50k and then buy something cheaper at the higher rate.

We're closing on the sale of my wife's parents' home in Ocean Isle Beach this week. Fortunately, the buyers wanted a very long escrow and paid us a healthy due diligence fee to sit for nearly 2 months, but they were lucky to lock in at a hair over 3%.

We paid cash for new construction/custom in 2008 right after the bubble burst, found a builder desperate for work and made well over double our cost from 14 years ago- all free and clear. 

• Pie 1

Biggest problem coming in aren't necessarily ARMs, but the fact that banks/mortgage companies are looking at shifting from the traditional 30yr loan to a 40yr or even 50yr loan period.

Those longer terms loans may make monthly payments appear to be more affordable, but the long-term impact is going to be bad.

Folks won't be thinking about paying off their loans early and going into retirement (relatively) debt-free if these become popular.

3 minutes ago, PanthersATL said:

Biggest problem coming in aren't necessarily ARMs, but the fact that banks/mortgage companies are looking at shifting from the traditional 30yr loan to a 40yr or even 50yr loan period.

Those longer terms loans may make monthly payments appear to be more affordable, but the long-term impact is going to be bad.

Folks won't be thinking about paying off their loans early and going into retirement (relatively) debt-free if these become popular.

Kinda like how 80+ month notes for vehicles are becoming more and more common. If you need an 84 month note on a vehicle to afford it, YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT.

• Pie 4

2 minutes ago, toldozer said:

My parents first home was at 18.5%, mine was 4.5% in 2009. Our mortgage is at 3% from last April.  Yeah  surprised 40 years aren't starting to become the norm already 

I think my parents' house was in the low 20s.  My first was around 6ish initially. Refinanced it multiple times over the course of four years ending sub-3. Current house is sub-3.

I bought my home in 2010 for 124k

House was  newly finished and had 2 acres. Previous people ran out of money and foreclosed.  I cleared some trees have added a fenced in  acre yard, a building, carport, bedroom and 3 closets.  Concrete driveway.  Since then the residential boom has happened.  Man these crazy ass people offered me 370k site unseen.  I'll hang around for a while yet and see if that dont keep climbing.

6 hours ago, motocross_cat said:

I bought my home in 2010 for 124k

House was  newly finished and had 2 acres. Previous people ran out of money and foreclosed.  I cleared some trees have added a fenced in  acre yard, a building, carport, bedroom and 3 closets.  Concrete driveway.  Since then the residential boom has happened.  Man these crazy ass people offered me 370k site unseen.  I'll hang around for a while yet and see if that dont keep climbing.

When we built our starter-home, 3BR/2BA house in Charlotte, we struggled at the $100k+ price point.  Zillow currently has its "Zestimate" around $350k.  It has a reasonable, accessible location -- but couldn't imagine it going for more than $250k.