• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Charlotte real estate market

Ja  Rhule

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Ours is a shade under $1500 but we put 20% down. I would've put more but with rates so low why bother? I'd rather have the extra liquidity.

On our first house in CO I think we paid about three months of PMI on a 3% down mortgage. We pretty much immediately got it reappraised and refinanced dropping PMI and getting a better rate. Shaved off about $300 a month.

Yeah at 5% vs 20% it was saving a very small amount on the monthly loan. It made much more sense for us to keep the cash (put a fence in for 6k, upgraded electrical panel 2500, replaced pool pump 3k). We will probably be 450k into the house by the time we're done. Renovating 3 bathrooms, redoing kitchen,  refinishing hardwoods, putting evp flooring in basement,  adding a 5th bedroom/office. Redrywalling basement walls and ceilings. Building a bar at the pool (I'll do that myself). That's it for phase1 lol. Next summer hopefully redoing a deck off our sunroom and resealing concrete around pool and probably add a sundeck out there. Also need to replaster the pool and redo the tile soon so maybe I'll be closer to 550 when we're done lol but I wouldn't sell this house for a million bucks it's everything we were looking for in a home for our daughter to grow up in and we can really make it our own over time vs living in a neighborhood on a .10 acre lot 

On 6/16/2022 at 9:13 AM, toldozer said:

I Will be in Holden beach for the month of July while our house is being renovated. Any suggestions on things to do (probably willing to drive to Wilmington on occasion). It's me, my wife and our daughter who will be 9 months at the time.  My wife's dad, step mom and 13 year old sister will be coming for a week as well.

Get a grouper Sandwich from Provision Co.

3 hours ago, toldozer said:

Yeah at 5% vs 20% it was saving a very small amount on the monthly loan. It made much more sense for us to keep the cash (put a fence in for 6k, upgraded electrical panel 2500, replaced pool pump 3k). We will probably be 450k into the house by the time we're done. Renovating 3 bathrooms, redoing kitchen,  refinishing hardwoods, putting evp flooring in basement,  adding a 5th bedroom/office. Redrywalling basement walls and ceilings. Building a bar at the pool (I'll do that myself). That's it for phase1 lol. Next summer hopefully redoing a deck off our sunroom and resealing concrete around pool and probably add a sundeck out there. Also need to replaster the pool and redo the tile soon so maybe I'll be closer to 550 when we're done lol but I wouldn't sell this house for a million bucks it's everything we were looking for in a home for our daughter to grow up in and we can really make it our own over time vs living in a neighborhood on a .10 acre lot 

Unless it's absolutely necessary I'd wait on significant remodeling. Building materials are still high as a giraffe's ass.

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Unless it's absolutely necessary I'd wait on significant remodeling. Building materials are still high as a giraffe's ass.

We're already set on doing it this summer. The bathroom for our bedroom is basically unusable and the kitchen is close (all appliances at least 25 years old). It took a long time but we got a quote from a contractor that we were comfortable with and we are going with it. I'm ok spending more money now then it would be 2 years from now. We have a budget and are comfortable with not being able to do the deck right now bc of increased costs

When I say comfortable with I mean both the contractor and the bottom line. Again we made some cuts here and there to stay in budget that might not be necessary if we wait but you can always make more money but you can't get two years of your life back living in a place with a 60 year old kitchen and bathrooms

2 minutes ago, toldozer said:

We're already set on doing it this summer. The bathroom for our bedroom is basically unusable and the kitchen is close (all appliances at least 25 years old). It took a long time but we got a quote from a contractor that we were comfortable with and we are going with it. I'm ok spending more money now then it would be 2 years from now. We have a budget and are comfortable with not being able to do the deck right now bc of increased costs

My dad is a contractor. Decks are tripled right now vs. two years ago. It's just material costs. He's not making a dime extra. He'll straight up tell people that they're better off waiting. Hell, even if you wanna do it he's booked 5-6 months out.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

My dad is a contractor. Decks are tripled right now vs. two years ago. It's just material costs. He's not making a dime extra. He'll straight up tell people that they're better off waiting. Hell, even if you wanna do it he's booked 5-6 months out.

Yeah the deck was I think 15000 bucks. It isn't a necessity. We have a sunroom and a pool/pool house I don't know how much we will even use the deck once we do it. I'm leaning towards composite at this point because it seems like the cost gap keeps shrinking.

11 minutes ago, toldozer said:

Yeah the deck was I think 15000 bucks. It isn't a necessity. We have a sunroom and a pool/pool house I don't know how much we will even use the deck once we do it. I'm leaning towards composite at this point because it seems like the cost gap keeps shrinking.

Trex barely costs more than pressure treated pine these days and this new pressure treated lumber doesn't last for poo. 

25 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Trex barely costs more than pressure treated pine these days and this new pressure treated lumber doesn't last for poo. 

Ok I'm sold then.  I'm a deck dummy. If I use composite (been looking at timber tech) for the top boards all the framing is still pressure treated lumber right? If your dad is in Charlotte I'd be happy to have him quote it when I'm ready

4 minutes ago, toldozer said:

Ok I'm sold then.  I'm a deck dummy. If I use composite (been looking at timber tech) for the top boards all the framing is still pressure treated lumber right? If your dad is in Charlotte I'd be happy to have him quote it when I'm ready

Yeah, use regular pressure treated but put the trex tape over them. Don't skip this step or your frame will 100% rot out from under your decking.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Trex-50-ft-Deck-Tape/5013300481

Nah, he's western NC based by appreciate it anyway.

31 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Just looked at timbertech and they have a good better best option

Best was 100 dollars more then timber

Better was 400 bucks cheaper

Good was like 1200 bucks cheaper 

I sold my house last year for 110% more what I paid for it in 2014. More than double

Thankfully I bought my new home in Jan 2020, right before this ridiculousness. Took 18 months to fix it up becuase of labor and material shortages (windows by itself took 10 months to come in - ridiculous)

Edited by amcoolio