• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers will "pay any price" for Watson (via Sportsnaut via PFN)

top dawg

11 minutes ago, top dawg said:

The fact that there is a hard salary cap makes the smarter smarter, not dumber. Like I mentioned, Tepper purchased the franchise at a markedly lower bid than what was offered. Does this sound like a guy that just opens up the Brinks truck for no reason?

Yeah but he had the advantage of already being in the club as a minority owner, thus speeding up the vetting process. That was a significant factor in the deal.  It’s not like he offered half of what Navarro put on the table. He knew he had the advantage of being vetted which was important to Richardson who wanted to be done quickly.  Thus he might have saved pennies on a 2 billion dollar purchase.

3 minutes ago, t96 said:

If we trade Burns, Brown, Chinn and multiple first rounders including 8 overall this year I will be livid. 

Yeah, if you subtract those three guys we'd probably field the worst D in NFL history. Hell, if I'm Watson I probably lean on my no trade clause to prevent that deal from happening. You'd probably be saddling yourself to a team that would be 3-5 years away from competing due to what they gave up to get you.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, countryboi said:

yea but players cost money, like CMC its great but he aint cheap but only downside to draft picks is a shitty front office. 

Insiders that have commented on the situation say draft picks alone won't cut it.

General expectation is that we need to include a player on the level of Brian Burns or Jeremy Chinn, possibly more.

Edited by Mr. Scot

I think the news about us willing to do anything for Watson is (1) a way of intimidating other teams— think of going all in in poker and (2) showing Watson how much he’s desired here will make him feel good about coming and want to buy in. Players love to say they’re ‘wanted’ and clearly Houston doesn’t respect him and ‘want him’ like we do. 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

37 minutes ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

Been saying it, but Tepper will not be outbid IMO.  Doesn't mean Watson is coming here, but for all the "we don't have the same capital" talk when it comes to the Jets and Dolphins...I don't think it matters.  Tepper's hard-on is real, and if Deshaun becomes available no team is offering more than us.  If Burns is the make or break piece for instance, I think Tepper will say meh, he's due a contract in a couple years anyway, bye. 

Which yes, is scary.  But we have an owner who wants to drop his balls on the table in a franchise statement move, a GM coming from a team who traded 2 first rounders for a safety and isn't afraid to wheel and deal, and a coach who's known for coaching up lesser guys.  It's a perfect storm where the thought process is probably hey, get a QB and we'll figure the rest out later. 

We don't have the capital, but they (Dolphins and Jets) are both in position to take a qb in the draft or go with what they have--why would they trade a bunch of picks, etc.?   Panthers need to attempt to trade with Miami and let Houston know--if they think eliminating 2 suitors will drive watson's price up...