• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers will "pay any price" for Watson (via Sportsnaut via PFN)

top dawg

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

In January, they said they were going with Tua--they draft an injured QB, no OTAs, camp, preseason, etc. and they are ready to move on?  That is crazy.

You are right--they have about $27m in cap room and must re-sign players.  They have 2 firsts--the smart play here is to move back, add a second, and still get the T and WR in the first.  

Watson gives them the ability to win right now. It makes the most sense if it's going to happen they have the capital and Houston gets a QB on a rookie deal and a number 3 pick back. 

If the Panthers pay an exorbitant price for Watson and it doesn’t work out, the team might take decades to recover. I’m very much against it. What the Panthers offered in the Stafford trade was a price I thought was reasonable. Rams upped the ante because they’re insane. But now, the Panthers might drop what, 4 first round picks or more? Quality young starters? I know who is going to win that trade, and it won’t be the Panthers.

I really really hope this isn’t true. 

• Beer 2

Let Watson sit out for a year to put the pressure on Houston, while we trade back and pick up extra picks in one of the deepest drafts in a while. 

We fill the majority of the remaining holes on our roster with 2nd and 3rd round starters, who get a year under their belts in 2021. 

In 2022, we make another push for Watson, with a more attractive, competitive team, and less to lose if we trade away a couple years worth of high picks. Or we've sucked so bad that we can just draft Sam Howell. 

Fin.

• Pie 3

13 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'll say again what I've said elsewhere.

What on God's green earth does Jack Easterby bring to the table that the Texans would be willing to keep him amidst all this when it's pretty obvious that firing him would be a huge step in the right direction?

Heck, from what I've read, firing him would be a good idea even if none of this had ever happened.

I say this as unironically as I possibly can.  The answer is:

God.

It seems Easterby and McNair share a deep religious devotion, and Easterby has used this to wrap McNair around his little finger.  It does not make logical sense to us, but this seems to be the case.

2 minutes ago, Panther'sBigD said:

Let Watson sit out for a year to put the pressure on Houston, while we trade back and pick up extra picks in one of the deepest drafts in a while. 

We fill the majority of the remaining holes on our roster with 2nd and 3rd round starters, who get a year under their belts in 2021. 

In 2022, we make another push for Watson, with a more attractive, competitive team, and less to lose if we trade away a couple years worth of high picks. Or we've sucked so bad that we can just draft Sam Howell. 

Fin.

^ This. Seriously. If we aren't figuring a way to get Lawrence this year.

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, joemac said:

Well thats the rub, isnt it?  Any team that trades for Watson is going to have to give up the farm.  There is no trade scenario that does not rape the team that Watson is going to. 

It depends. There is a balance of how far you’re willing to go. And I hope we have that line. As far as first rounders I don’t really care if it’s 3/4. When you start talking young defensive players like Burns, Chinn or brown there needs to be a line that we don’t cross.

39 minutes ago, joemac said:

Well thats the rub, isnt it?  Any team that trades for Watson is going to have to give up the farm.  There is no trade scenario that does not rape the team that Watson is going to. 

If thats the case them im out. And i was even cool with 3 first.  But anything more is just getting unreasonable. 

1 minute ago, Pantherzack179812 said:

Could've been NFL. I know the vetting was part of it, but I think the NFL wanted Richardson out fast, so the fact Tepper had cash and was vetted netted him a discount.

I know the NFL was absolutely all in on Tepper.

Heck, they gave Michael Rubin an inflated number and told him if he wasn't willing to pay that much he should probably just bow out.

He did, and then the team didn't end up selling for anything close to the number they quoted to him.

6 minutes ago, hepcat said:

If the Panthers pay an exorbitant price for Watson and it doesn’t work out, the team might take decades to recover. I’m very much against it. What the Panthers offered in the Stafford trade was a price I thought was reasonable. Rams upped the ante because they’re insane. But now, the Panthers might drop what, 4 first round picks or more? Quality young starters? I know who is going to win that trade, and it won’t be the Panthers.

I really really hope this isn’t true. 

decades?  good god the anti-Deshaun crew is becoming more and more disconnected from reality

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, joemac said:

I say this as unironically as I possibly can.  The answer is:

God.

It seems Easterby and McNair share a deep religious devotion, and Easterby has used this to wrap McNair around his little finger.  It does not make logical sense to us, but this seems to be the case.

I'm deeply religious too, and while I respect my pastor, I wouldn't trust him to set my fantasy football roster, much less run an NFL team.

Edited by Mr. Scot

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

In January, they said they were going with Tua--they draft an injured QB, no OTAs, camp, preseason, etc. and they are ready to move on?  That is crazy.

You are right--they have about $27m in cap room and must re-sign players.  They have 2 firsts--the smart play here is to move back, add a second, and still get the T and WR in the first.  

Miami may have and still may be interested, but this speculation they're going to give up their whole 1st round stockpile is insanity.

I think people will be surprised that the price the media thinks Houston will get, they won't get.

I think the rumored 3 1sts and McCaffery trade is the one that ends up happening. That gives Houston a guy they can bill as "The face of the Houston Texans" after losing Watt and Watson, plus a 1st rounder to get one of the guys in the draft to replace Watson.

Look at it from this perspective. 

NYJ: 2-14 atrocious team with a new HC trades their best player and 3 1st round picks and gets Watson, they have nothing to build a godawful football team. This team is worse then the freaking 2010 Panthers who actually had talent, they NEED 1st rounders. Zach Wilson is said to be impressing, I honestly feel they go with him or Darnold.

Miami: The Dolphins go 10-6 with Tua playing 10, he had some rookie bumps (which is expected for a player coming off a hip injury) but looked like the player they drafted. Now the media is just SO convinced Miami feels they are going to give up their stockpile they spent YEARS building towards for a player who might be 30% better then Tua (Who I feel would be a great QB in the NFL). 

CAR: Has a promising young defense who had the whole 2020 draft spent on it, probably a few FA pieces away. Lost 7 games by 1 score , Deshaun Watson wins 7/7 of those imo (All the situations we were driving, but Teddy couldn't make a play). That would've had the Panthers at 11-4 playing the 10-5 Saints (As we would've beat them) for the division title. 100% of our wins were without Mccaffery, so we could likely survive without him and our 1st round picks for 2022 and 2023 (Watson replaces it this year). 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, MVPccaffrey said:

decades?  good god the anti-Deshaun crew is becoming more and more disconnected from reality

Worst case scenario, the Panthers huddle around 8-8 for 2 years (our years without 1st round picks) and pick up when we get them back.

Watson would be 28 when our 1st rounders return, this is the kind of player you hand Houston a blank check and shut up.

• Pie 1