• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Watson at any price

bythenbrs

Yes, ANOTHER Watson thread but bear with me.

After reviewing many of the Watson threads, it appears that Huddlers are self sorting into two cohorts:  The first group would be thrilled to see Watson in Charlotte, but are skeptical about the price that may have to be paid to get him here; let’s call them Watson ‘curious’.  And then we have the Watson ‘at any price’ crowd, implying or suggesting that Watson has the ‘it’ factor that solves every other roster problem and delivers a Super Bowl victory, for that is what it means to say, ‘at any price’; let’s call them Watson ‘maximalists’.

So, time for the ‘maximalists’ to stand up and be counted.  If you are in the ‘at any price’ crowd, you are challenged as the Panthers ‘GM for a day’, to declare specifically how much you are willing to give Houston in picks and players to secure Watsons services in Carolina.  Next, explain how you will build a roster around Watson that delivers the Super Bowl.

Now, don’t be a wimp and answer the first question only, for that is cheating.  You still have to build a roster around Watson after you have traded away ‘X’ picks and ‘Y’ players.  

My bias is probably pretty clear at this point; I am Watson ‘curious’.  And I am very concerned that anything more than two firsts (2021, 2022) and CMC may set this team back years, especially if it includes one or more of Burns, Chinn and Brown.  

‘Maximalists’, you are on the clock.  Go.

Edited by bythenbrs

3 1st rounders

? some additional later picks as necessary

1 of CMC, Burns, Brown, Chinn

- We franchise and sign Moton long-term

- Sign at least two O-linemen in FA. There are some high quality guards and centers in FA-- pay big for at least one (probably a G). Probably draft O-line somewhere early.

- Consider keeping Okung another year because the LTs aren't looking too good in FA.

- Let Curtis test the market and either bring him back or find a cheap replacement.

- Extend DJ and lower his cap hit if possible. Consider extending Robby a couple of years and make him cheap.

- Keep Mike Davis (2 years) if he's not already under contract (especially if we trade CMC).

- Use whatever draft picks we have to re-load the position of the player we lost (unless RB), add to O-line depth, speculative playmaker on offense, add another player on defense (LB or CB).

- Cheaper FAs to look at: LB, CB, DT, TE, and DE

6 minutes ago, Ship said:

3 1st rounders

Said it before but ill say it again. We cannot trade for Watson with CMC and Tag Moton + pay for our remaining rookie contracts where we are cap wise right now so a lot of other moves would have to be made.

In reality the Texan don't have the cap space for CMC + all the other running backs they traded for and can't get rid of them while staying in the positive so to speak. So they can't either. I also have a feeling CMC would be a stipulation for Watson coming here.

That leaves us with Burns, Brown and Chinn as bargaining pieces. All three would cost us cap space this year but as they are rookie contracts its not nearly as much as CMC would.

• Beer 1

God damn have y’all lost your minds??

I’m definitely in favor of trading for Watson but at the current price tags being discussed it’s absolutely ridiculous. Hard pass.

I’m going on record to say that the likelihood that giving up 3-4 first round draft picks and good young players for 1 QB has a VERY high likelihood of failure.

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Ship said:

3 1st rounders

- Sign at least two O-linemen in FA. There are some high quality guards and centers in FA-- pay big for at least one (probably a G). Probably draft O-line somewhere early.

- Consider keeping Okung another year because the LTs aren't looking too good in FA.

- Let Curtis test the market and either bring him back or find a cheap replacement.

- Extend DJ and lower his cap hit if possible. Consider extending Robby a couple of years and make him cheap.

- Keep Mike Davis (2 years) if he's not already under contract (especially if we trade CMC).

- Use whatever draft picks we have to re-load the position of the player we lost (unless RB), add to O-line depth, speculative playmaker on offense, add another player on defense (LB or CB).

- Cheaper FAs to look at: LB, CB, DT, TE, and DE

Why would we want to spend big on a FA OG when this is such a very deep OL draft?