• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Outriders - Demo Out

d-dave

The latest entry in the looter shooter genre.  The difference, it's not a live service game like Destiny 2 or Division 2.  More like Borderlands with set releases.

The demo is out for all platforms for the weekend.  Anyone else tried it?

I played for a couple of hours last night, though I did spend a lot of time reading through the lore, which is interesting.  But here are my overall impressions:

1. Gritty world - lots of swearing, bloody violence, and everyone is pretty horrible.  I find the lack of hope and beauty presented to be lacking.  We are playing for the survival of humanity, yet all we do is kill humans.  Also, lots of stuff doesn't work so the setting seems hopeless.  Visually, it can look nice.  I mean, I'm playing on my laptop i7 (7700), 16gb RAM, and 1050 4gb, and I can play on Medium and basically no shadows.  Good art, but it's almost all brown.  I want there to be more diversity.

2. Combat feels very GoW, which make sense because many of the devs come from Gears.  Cover is important, but the enemies will flush you out by charging you or expertly tossing grenades at you.  Was there a school for this?  Geeze!  I am having issues with my controller settings.  I guess I'm spoiled by D2's controls, but I found it very hard to actually aim and hit.  I think on PC, M&K is going to be the way to go.

3. Lore is interesting.  I like the descriptions of the characters and everything.  The writing there is good.  The characters in game?  I don't like them at all.  No charm, which is expected.  I like there is a journal/codex of things you discover.  There are discoverables on the map which help flesh the world out that isn't told as deeply in the main narrative.  Though there is a main narrative so that's good!

4. The Loot!  What is a looter without the loot?  So I like the variables in the mods/perks.  Like when I got a shotgun that also drained life, I was running around trying to shotgun everyone for that extra life.  There are a lot of things we don't know about the game, but I think the loot and build game is going to be pretty good!

5. Classes - I have no idea.  I played the berserker, who gets life by killing dudes upclose or with shotguns.  The abilities recharged quickly and were cool.  I look forward to playing with the rest of them.

Overall, I am on the fence.  It's a complete game when it comes out, so there's not the FOMO from a live service game.  I want to see more of the rest of the game.  I want to feel like my character is making a difference since we're set up as a hero to save humanity.  I also would love to see some levity and beauty in the world. 

• 2 weeks later...

Played the demo on PC and I'm officially sold on the game. 

It really scratches that itch of Diablo mixed with Gears and Anthem vibes.

Plus the story which takes some ques from WW1 is pretty cool.

If you check Youtube, there is a video that details what's coming with the endgame and everything it entails.

31 minutes ago, Burnout189 said:

Played the demo on PC and I'm officially sold on the game. 

It really scratches that itch of Diablo mixed with Gears and Anthem vibes.

Plus the story which takes some ques from WW1 is pretty cool.

If you check Youtube, there is a video that details what's coming with the endgame and everything it entails.

I played a good bit on my Xbox One X, and it played so much better on my laptop (poor 1050 4gb), and better than my desktop (darn old i7-4790!).

I'm just very busy right now (I'm falling really behind in the weekly Destiny stories) with work and family sadly.  

It might be a game I look at from afar just because of time constraints.  Looking at some of the other trailers, there look to be some really cool locations and environments.  If only I could win the lottery =P

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so I've been a little meh over the game. 

I've been playing it on game pass, and I love it!!!  It's just fun.  The gameplay is actually fun.  The story is appropriately cheesy, and knows it!  I regret ever thinking anything bad about the game!