• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let's talk linebackers (Rostered, draft, & FA)

saX man

Bear in mind we're spoiled around here.  So accustomed to absolute top notch LB's.

Unfortunately, I don't think we're in a position to get one with our other needs so blatant.  We've got to get off the field on third down.  Our issues were largely just getting guys covered long enough for our pass rush to get home.  Burns and Brown were nightmares for opposing offenses, but our coverage wasn't giving them that extra half second they needed.

We've got to start by getting better coverage on the outside.  Our defense would look a TON better if we could just give our pass runs another half second to second.  A LB just isn't going to do that for us.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

12 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

I’m on the Jabril Cox or KJ Britt train in the draft. I want to stay away from Pete Werner, dude looked super unathletic at the senior bowl. Britt looked like a stud on the Panthers team and was commanding the huddle during the senior bowl.

FAs I can see us looking at KJ Wright or Matt Milano from Buffalo.

Didn't catch much of the senior bowl but Werner is far from unathletic. He's an above average pass defender and moves well. He's not the type of linebacker who just gets caught looking at a play. Maybe just not his best day, it happens.

5 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Bear in mind we're spoiled around here.  So accustomed to absolute top notch LB's.

Unfortunately, I don't think we're in a position to get one with our other needs so blatant.  We've got to get off the field on third down.  Our issues were largely just getting guys covered long enough for our pass rush to get home.  Burns and Brown were nightmares for opposing offenses, but our coverage wasn't giving them that extra half second they needed.

We've got to start by getting better coverage on the outside.  Our defense would look a TON better if we could just give our pass runs another half second to second.  A LB just isn't going to do that for us.

This. LBs are luxury items. You need pass rushers, secondary, and some block occupiers in the middle in today's NFL. Honestly, LB is basically a dying position. The modern NFL LB is more akin to the old school SS than it is to the NFL LB of the '80s.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Troys99x4 said:

Didn't catch much of the senior bowl but Werner is far from unathletic. He's an above average pass defender and moves well. He's not the type of linebacker who just gets caught looking at a play. Maybe just not his best day, it happens.

Yeah I mixed up my OSU linebackers. It was Borland I was thinking of.

Edited by Panthercougar68

34 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

I’m on the Jabril Cox or KJ Britt train in the draft. I want to stay away from Pete Werner, dude looked super unathletic at the senior bowl. Britt looked like a stud on the Panthers team and was commanding the huddle during the senior bowl.

FAs I can see us looking at KJ Wright or Matt Milano from Buffalo.

I'm on that train too.  Britt and Jabril are my favorites.  Jabril was a mega watt star at North Dakota State.  Then he went to LSU and played with the big boys.  Him or Britt would be a nice addition.  As far as free agency Hassan Reddick could bring some pass rush and veteran presence.  

I like Z Collins as a hybrid defender. Could probably trade back and get him. Agree LB is a need and draft looks relatively thin for them. Like Cox as well but doubt he would make it to us by rd 3. Also agree CB is a huge need but draft seems deeper for that position. Rest of draft needs to be OL