• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let's talk linebackers (Rostered, draft, & FA)

saX man

With Tre Boston gone (thankfully), I wouldn't be opposed in drafting a safety. It'd have to be someone similar to Chinn - useful in several different aspects, but that would be a consideration I'd entertain to keep the defense flexible. I'd prefer to draft players that can be on the field in all downs and not be out of position against fast-moving offenses.

Here is what I do not fully understand:  What skills do we need in the MLB when we run the 3-3-5?  It makes sense that a good, sideline to sideline run stuffing LB is all we need; before, when running the 4-3, we needed a guy with the hips and speed to cover the seam in the Tampa 2.

So that skill set should determine the LB we need.  Shaq, to be honest, was not the best fit at LB. 

On the roster, I would like to see what Jordan Mack can do there.  He opted out of the season, but he has the skill set to do what I suggested---since the Tampa 2 does not seem to be part of the defense, we may not need a Luke or Beason, or Morgan in the middle to be good. I dunno.

In the draft, I like Werner, Ohio St. because he is smart, but probably an OLB in the NFL.   I also like McGrone from Michigan--one of the best sideline-to-sideline MLBs in the draft.  Surratt is still learning, but he is a great athlete and very smart---I like the fact that an Ex QB is in the middle reading the offense.

• Pie 1

54 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Here is what I do not fully understand:  What skills do we need in the MLB when we run the 3-3-5?  It makes sense that a good, sideline to sideline run stuffing LB is all we need; before, when running the 4-3, we needed a guy with the hips and speed to cover the seam in the Tampa 2.

So that skill set should determine the LB we need.  Shaq, to be honest, was not the best fit at LB. 

On the roster, I would like to see what Jordan Mack can do there.  He opted out of the season, but he has the skill set to do what I suggested---since the Tampa 2 does not seem to be part of the defense, we may not need a Luke or Beason, or Morgan in the middle to be good. I dunno.

In the draft, I like Werner, Ohio St. because he is smart, but probably an OLB in the NFL.   I also like McGrone from Michigan--one of the best sideline-to-sideline MLBs in the draft.  Surratt is still learning, but he is a great athlete and very smart---I like the fact that an Ex QB is in the middle reading the offense.

From what it seemed, we need 2 guys in Snow's scheme for most downs, not 3 like we're used to.  You've got some nice points.

A main honcho, sideline-to-sideline guy at one spot.  We just don't really have a lead man reading the offense. 

Then an athletic outside type, covering the seam like you say.  But needs to still handle the physicality of roughing it up with linemen.  Shaq was kind of in between the types. 

We've got Chinn as that rover type in those packages. 

Don't know if it's a 2nd or 3rd rounder (or later) but we need some help.  I think Carter could be decent but there's a big issue.  I think a big concern last year (as much as the lack of pressure) was not having a smart duder in the center of that D.  We don't need to find a Kuechly clone, but it would be nice to find a guy that can create the awareness of an offense changing things up on a 3rd and mid. 

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm looking at 2nd to 4th rounders at LB. My favorites include Chazz Surratt, Pete Werner, Nick Bolton, and Monty Rice. And honestly, the only way I'm going LB in the 2nd is if there's no one there at CB or OL that I view of worthy of the draft position. 3rd or 4th IMO is the sweet spot for us at LB. I would expect one of the names I listed to be there in the 3rd. Monty Rice could potentially be there in the 4th.

Too easy to cheaply fill LB in free agency rather than spend a premium pick on a LB.

The idea of taking a LB in the top ten is just the sort of Hurney move that keeps us from being able to rebuild effectively. 

• Pie 1

The only way I’m taking a linebacker in the first round is if it’s a pick in the 20s and we already have our positions with the most value locked up. And even then I’d still be hesitant unless some freak of nature drops in a draft. 

this franchise has been obsessed with rbs and linebackers and it shows by our insane historical inconsistencies. And stop giving those two positions second contracts. The positional value is just not there. Build this team the proper way please.

• Pie 2

46 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

The only way I’m taking a linebacker in the first round is if it’s a pick in the 20s and we already have our positions with the most value locked up. And even then I’d still be hesitant unless some freak of nature drops in a draft. 

this franchise has been obsessed with rbs and linebackers and it shows by our insane historical inconsistencies. And stop giving those two positions second contracts. The positional value is just not there. Build this team the proper way please.

Like one or 2 people mentioned Parsons.  It is not the suggestion of the thread--just gauging the talent and best potential route.

Edited by saX man

I don't think the situation is as dire as some make it. With the way most teams line up in nickel coverage half the snaps, we may only play 2 linebackers a good portion of the game. If we do keep Shaq, it'll be Carter and Shaq (or Chinn, but then we need another safety). So it comes down to finding a part-time starter and some depth. Throw in Christian Miller who can easily jump in on blitz packages (and hopefully more) and some combination of cheap free agents or mid to late round picks and we're fine. I'd much rather invest more heavily in offensive line and cb

• Beer 1