• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

top 10 under-the-radar Panthers in position to make a splash in 2021

Captain Morgan

This an Athletic article, so it's behind a paywall, but it's a good offseason read in a desert of non-trade news.

None on this list are full time starters, and none make over a million a year right now.  All of these guys are still on rookie contracts or first contracts as well.

The 10 are WR Omar Bayless, QB Tommy Stevens, K Lirim Hajrullahu, DT Bravvion Roy, S Sam Franklin, LB/DE Christian Miller, QB P.J. Walker, RB Reggie Bonnafon, G Dennis Daley, DB Myles Hartsfield, 

Here's what the article says about Roy.  

"Roy started nine games as a rookie after Kawann Short was injured, so it may be a bit of a stretch to include him among players who are under the radar, especially given his 6-1, 330-pound frame. But c’mon, Roy was a sixth-round pick — albeit from Baylor — who had only five games where he played more than 50 percent of the defensive snaps. Roy is the quintessential space-eating run-stuffer who can give first-rounder Derrick Brown a break as needed. And I’d expect him to increase his productivity in Year 2.   Salary cap figure: $828,493 "

Several of these guys may not make the roster this year, but guys like Franklin, Daley, Roy and Bonafon are good cheap roster fillers who have actually competed when they got game time.  These are good building blocks.  I'm glad to see the youngsters getting playing time because they've improved and shown their value, instead of being relegated to the bench while a vet is signed off the street to fill in for injuries.  This is a new model for the Panthers, and I like it.

https://theathletic.com/2412561/2021/02/26/the-top-10-under-the-radar-panthers-in-position-to-make-a-splash-in-2021/?source=weeklyemail

• Pie 3

Ehh, that article is reaching on quite a few there...three different ones:

Marquis Haynes has improved each season and is primed to take a bigger role if we don't scoop someone up at DE behind Burns YGM, & Obada.  He was in on a lot of plays in 2020. 

Keith Kirkwood is a bit more ready than Bayless at this point and if he can prove he isn't made of glass could be a solid 4th option.  Looked good in NO when they needed him.

Troy Pride sniffed at full on NFL starter level play but had some rookie hiccups.  His nice performances showed some legit outside potential and he's got the size+quickness. 

Those are three I expect to be given the opportunity and could do well in 21.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

Development of guys like those listed is supposed to be Rhule's bread and butter. I hope to see it this season. Growing the team organically inhouse is going to make something special that will last.

Good coaching in the midst of the wildstorm of egos that can come up has ruined many teams -- the few coaches that can weather that AND develop their undercard rosters get dynasties. 

Edited by Khyber53
  • Pie 2

This just reaffirms my expectations of a good future. Roy is excellent depth playing a position that we have lacked depth at. Pride played well for where he was drafted and will only improve, Daley has showed he could play and I could see Miller being a great rotational piece. We knocked last year's draft out of the park! I'm really excited! 

44 minutes ago, saX man said:

Ehh, that article is reaching on quite a few there...three different ones:

Marquis Haynes has improved each season and is primed to take a bigger role if we don't scoop someone up at DE behind Burns YGM, & Obada.  He was in on a lot of plays in 2020. 

Keith Kirkwood is a bit more ready than Bayless at this point and if he can prove he isn't made of glass could be a solid 4th option.  Looked good in NO when they needed him.

Troy Pride sniffed at full on NFL starter level play but had some rookie hiccups.  His nice performances showed some legit outside potential and he's got the size+quickness. 

Those are three I expect to be given the opportunity and could do well in 21.

ive seen nothing from pride that says he can be a big time player

5 minutes ago, Scott12345 said:

ive seen nothing from pride that says he can be a big time player

He doesn't have to be a #1, he wasn't drafted to be. Filling a #2 or #3 role still makes him a good pick. If we don't go Qb, I think we draft a #1 CB this year. The sting of loosing Bradberry won't be over until we do. 

• Pie 2

Troy Pride - has the size, quickness, and speed. Showed good instincts at times, but also had his struggles as a rookie. Playing DB in the NFL is always tough, especially as a rookie. If Rhule's reputation of developing holds true, Pride has the ability to become a solid DB on the outside.

Bravvion Roy - I like what he brings as a space eating run stuffer, but ultimately we need a quicker DT that can pressure the pocket next to Brown. Roy can be valuable as depth/relief to Brown, and in goal line or short yardage situations.

Sam Franklin - I like his instincts. He plays with intensity and toughness. He plays hard with a little nasty (in a good way) in his game. He is a good tackler with smooth movement, and flips his hips well into pass coverage where he can cover short and intermediate routes with enough speed to cover most deep routes. He is a former nickle corner that moved to OLB in college. We most likely keep him at safety, but I wouldn't rule out a move to OLB if Chinn moves to safety.

Christian Miller - has only played 91 snaps as a pro and sat out last season for covid. Basically 1.5 games produced 2 sacks. When I watch him at Alabama, I see potential as a pass rusher who also sets the edge well in the run game. I think adding a little weight and putting his hand in the dirt would be a good move for him. He is quicker and more explosive out of the 3 point stance than he is standing up. When standing up he has the tendency to have a drop/back step before moving forward. 

Edited by TheProcess
  • Pie 2

1 hour ago, Captain Morgan said:

This an Athletic article, so it's behind a paywall, but it's a good offseason read in a desert of non-trade news.

None on this list are full time starters, and none make over a million a year right now.  All of these guys are still on rookie contracts or first contracts as well.

The 10 are WR Omar Bayless, QB Tommy Stevens, K Lirim Hajrullahu, DT Bravvion Roy, S Sam Franklin, LB/DE Christian Miller, QB P.J. Walker, RB Reggie Bonnafon, G Dennis Daley, DB Myles Hartsfield, 

Here's what the article says about Roy.  

"Roy started nine games as a rookie after Kawann Short was injured, so it may be a bit of a stretch to include him among players who are under the radar, especially given his 6-1, 330-pound frame. But c’mon, Roy was a sixth-round pick — albeit from Baylor — who had only five games where he played more than 50 percent of the defensive snaps. Roy is the quintessential space-eating run-stuffer who can give first-rounder Derrick Brown a break as needed. And I’d expect him to increase his productivity in Year 2.   Salary cap figure: $828,493 "

Several of these guys may not make the roster this year, but guys like Franklin, Daley, Roy and Bonafon are good cheap roster fillers who have actually competed when they got game time.  These are good building blocks.  I'm glad to see the youngsters getting playing time because they've improved and shown their value, instead of being relegated to the bench while a vet is signed off the street to fill in for injuries.  This is a new model for the Panthers, and I like it.

https://theathletic.com/2412561/2021/02/26/the-top-10-under-the-radar-panthers-in-position-to-make-a-splash-in-2021/?source=weeklyemail

I have been waiting to see what Bayless has

54 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Development of guys like those listed is supposed to be Rhule's bread and butter. I hope to see it this season. Growing the team organically inhouse is going to make something special that will last.

Good coaching in the midst of the wildstorm of egos that can come up has ruined many teams -- the few coaches that can weather that AND develop their undercard rosters get dynasties. 

If we get 3 or 4 of those guys as regular roster members or depth chart guys, I would say that is a phenomenal return rate. We know how infrequently Rivera developed guys at that level.

Conversely, I do remember Fitterer making statements about bottom of the roster churn, so I hope we keep trying to get new and better talent there every year. 

• Pie 2