• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Drew Brees possibly coming back?

WarPanthers89

Drew Brees is retiring. Unless he isn’t.

Fitness trainer Todd Durkin recently posted a video on Instagram that shows Brees pushing a weighted sled while Durkin utters a string of superlatives: “What is he doing? . . . Drew, what are you doing? OK, he’s never done that! . . . Don’t know what he’s doing. . . . I’m not sure what he’s doing. Never quite been done before! . . . That’s a new record because it’s never been done before!”

At one point, these words appear over the video: “Not sure WHY he’s so cra-cra today but something must be brewing.”

The video has surfaced at a time when Brees has not yet retired, and when more and more people are wondering whether he will. After witnessing Tom Brady‘s Buccaneers (a team the Saints swept in the regular season) win the Super Bowl, Brees may be thinking about continuing his career for at least one more year.

Regardless, Brees is working out not like someone who’s generally committed to a healthy lifestyle but like someone who is training for something. Something that, as Durkin noted on his video, “must be brewing.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/27/trainer-posts-drew-brees-workout-video-suggests-something-must-be-brewing/

drew brees basketball GIF

Edited by WarPanthers89
  • Pie 1

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The way he looked down the stretch, the rest of the NFL is probably really hoping he does come back.

I sincerely hope he does. 

The real question is, who does he play for? At the moment, New Orleans is going to have to move mountains just to simply get under the cap for 2021. I don't foresee a chance in hell they can also afford to pay him, unless he is going to take a league minimum contract and further kick the can on some cap money for 2-3 years down the road. I'm okay with that too. Keep fuging up their cap in perpetuity. 

Edited by kungfoodude

1 minute ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

Much rather Brees come back and be a worse version of 2015 Peyton Manning than the Saints to back their way into Russell Wilson. 

Not to mention, more guys get cut to re-sign Brees who won't play for free?  Sounds good

I'd rather see Brees than Winston, TBH. We know Brees is basically washed and they are about to have to blow up some of their OL in front of him. 

Our young OL might feast on that decrepit old man.

1 minute ago, WarPanthers89 said:

Two things here to consider, he was playing with broken ribs down the stretch along with many other injuries that were worse than originally reported, and if he comes back he would be playing for only a million bucks 

I'd rather have a washed up Drew Brees on a stripped down New Orleans team than potentially watch Sean Peyton turn Jameis Winston's career around. 

Now, I will say that I would rather see Taysom The Golden Calf of Bristol than Brees. The thought of that guy starting 16 games in New Orleans causes a sudden rush of blood to my crotchal region.

• Beer 1

I thought that NO had already restructured his contract.  Thinking was to lessen retirement hit.

https://www.nfl.com/news/saints-renegotiate-qb-drew-brees-contract-frees-up-cap-space-in-2021

As the world continues to wait for an update on Drew Brees, the Saints made an important move regarding the veteran's contract.

New Orleans renegotiated Brees' contract to drop his base salary in 2021 to the minimum, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Friday, per an informed source. The club can now keep him on the roster past June 1 while drastically reducing his 2021 cap hit.

Jason Fitzgerald of Over The Cap first reported the news.

Pelissero noted that the Saints will now carry a roughly $12 million cap charge for Brees, rather than the $36 million-plus it would've initially cost the team. An additional $11.5 million would hit the cap in 2022, he added.

The move frees up about $24 million for the Saints which will be crucial in an offseason where many teams will be cap-strapped.

It's been expected for months that the 41-year-old will eventually announce his retirement. In the meantime, Brees, who is no stranger to restructuring his contract for his team's benefit, made sure to do the Saints one more solid by spreading the cap impact should he decide to call it quits.

1 hour ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

Much rather Brees come back and be a worse version of 2015 Peyton Manning than the Saints to back their way into Russell Wilson. 

Not to mention, more guys get cut to re-sign Brees who won't play for free?  Sounds good

^^^^^^^^^^^