• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Report: 49ers called Panthers about Teddy Bridgewater

WarPanthers89

49ers General Manager John Lynch said recently that he has no doubt that a healthy Jimmy Garoppolo will be the team’s starting quarterback for the 2021 season, but added that Garoppolo’s injury history means that the team has to have “better options” to back him up than they did last year.

One of the options they are reportedly looking into spent the 2020 season as the starting quarterback in Carolina. Joseph Person of TheAthletic.com reports that the 49ers called the Panthers about a potential trade for Teddy Bridgewater.

There’s no word on whether the conversation reached a point where the teams were discussing an offer, but a move involving Bridgewater would come as no surprise. The team was reportedly willing to trade him to the Lions as part of their offer for Matthew Stafford and their interest in making a run at Deshaun Watson when and if he’s made available has come up on multiple occasions.

Bridgewater has a $17 million base salary and a cap hit of just under $23 million in 2021. A trade would leave $10 million in dead money on the Panther’s cap.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/01/report-49ers-called-panthers-about-teddy-bridgewater/

Happy National Football League GIF by Carolina Panthers

Edited by WarPanthers89
  • Pie 4

4 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

I could care less. They offer a 6th and I’m taking it just to move on. He could be the water boy for all I care 

Yeah I don’t care what they do with him either, just get him the hell out of here.  I was just mentioning that for whoever wonders what that trade would mean for Jimmy G

9 minutes ago, Wanderlai said:

Do it before they change their mind 

I bet we ask them to wait until after the draft. He will be our worst case scenario starter for next season, so I’m sure we will want to get another starter via trade or draft before we make the move. Being that he will be a backup/insurance for them I’m sure they don’t mind waiting a bit....but with all that said trade him for anything any I’m good