• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Report: 49ers called Panthers about Teddy Bridgewater

WarPanthers89

17 minutes ago, Shufdog said:

Looks like Washington are going to release Alex Smith. Do y'all think the 49ers might jump on him as a backup for much, much cheaper?

I’d have to imagine that Alex Smith is going to retire. I think his point in coming back was showing his kids to “not give up in a crap situation” after his injury. 

39 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

I think TB has the makings to be one of the better backups in the NFL (like he was in 2019). He just doesn't need to start. Are they willing to pay $17M for good backup is the question.  If so, I'd trade him just to be rid of the salary and run with PJ as our #2. 

Possibly the only way the 49ers (or any team) agree to trade for Teddy is if we accept to still take on a huge part of that salary.  I don't know exactly how that'll work but hell, I'm all for taking the fully amount guaranteed from this year if it means he's gone and if we can be clear completely from that contract heading into the 2022 offseason.

3 hours ago, Castavar said:

I would literally trade him for ANY compensation, just to get him and his contract out of here.

You people and your hate for TB....it wouldn’t make any sense. Yes TB is overpaid but he only has one year left - but for fans it seems to be this made up franchise crippling contract. 

By trading you’re then adding another 10 M to whoever you try and pay and find to be the QB for next season and you limit all of your options.

So you fug your cap for a year just so you can get rid of TB? For what?

Only way I see that as a good idea is if you have a sure fire QB you’re drafting and you plan on starting him day 1. Or you get a QB you plan to start like the Stafford trade.

Don’t waste cap space without a plan. No one knows how the draft will fall or even if a QB will be drafted. But TB is insurance either way. Panthers can sit a rookie as long as a year, give him competition in camp etc.

Also no one knows how FA will play out, the Panthers could end up with no one else.

The whole start Grier and tank before the season hasn’t begun isn’t an option either.

So you keep TB. No one is going to offer more than a 5th for a back up QB anyways, and that’s not worth his dead cap AND signing a new QB AND taking away any options for a drafted QB...if that exists.

Too many unknowns at this point.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, stirs said:

Panthers trade down to 12th w 49ers.

49ers get Bridgewater and take Trey Lance with the 8th pick

Panthers get 12th pick and the 43rd pick from 49ers

Panthers take Slater with 12th pick

LMFAO what lol I literally laughed out loud