• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Report: 49ers called Panthers about Teddy Bridgewater

WarPanthers89

4 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

I appreciate you doing this, but you are wasting your time with this guy. 

Lady Cowboy Fan is working overtime this week so I've had a little time on my hands.

I'm not expecting to get anywhere but it's amusing 😆

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

4 minutes ago, KSpan said:

After making what you are intimating was such a large investment and seeing Teddy's QBing firsthand, the seemingly cap-proof Saints let him walk even with old man Brees teetering on retirement and a surefire starting spot opening up, opting to keep an older wanna-QB and sign Jameis instead. Interestingly, Hill was on pace this year to throw for as many TDs as Teddy did for the entire season... but that's surely coincidence.

Teddy was perhaps then too scared of Mitch Trubisky to sign in Chicago. Mitch did win 2 more games as a starter and passed for more TDs while starting 6 fewer games this year... but that's also surely coincidence.

Either way, Chicago and Carolina appeared to be the only teams willing to entertain him as a starter and the contract that Carolina offered was a clear 2-year tryout. Teddy may not even make it that far, which leads us to this conversation and your assertion that everyone just 'hates'.

Don't be mad at the man for taking the best offer at the time. Hindsight being what it is, I now wish he would have looked harder at the Patriots.

Your editorializing Teddy's career path epitomizes your personal animosity for the man. To be so willing to poison the well around a player who very well might end up starting for the team you say you like is not smart and not healthy for the atmosphere surrounding your favorite team. 

Never the less. Teddy has two years let on his deal, and the organization has done nothing to change that in spite of your hopes and dreams and and rumor mongering.

• Flames 1
  • Poo 2

4 minutes ago, Breakpoint4510 said:

Don't be mad at the man for taking the best offer at the time. Hindsight being what it is, I now wish he would have looked harder at the Patriots.

Your editorializing Teddy's career path epitomizes your personal animosity for the man. To be so willing to poison the well around a player who very well might end up starting for the team you say you like is not smart and not healthy for the atmosphere surrounding your favorite team. 

Never the less. Teddy has two years let on his deal, and the organization has done nothing to change that in spite of your hopes and dreams and and rumor mongering.

Teddy, you ignorant slut

• Pie 2

26 minutes ago, Breakpoint4510 said:

There will be no year two Teddy

30 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It doesn't take that much effort.

There's a pretty extensive discussion of it here.

And if you want the word from Gantt, it's pretty easy to find on the team site.

The Panthers were mentioned in recent reports about trading for quarterback Matthew Stafford for one simple reason -- they were involved in the discussions.

He adds this...

The Panthers will be mentioned in reports about other quarterbacks this offseason for one simple reason -- they will be involved in the discussions.

Rumor mongering all out in the open. You said that the Panthers offered Teddy and draft picks for Stafford. Where is the source for that. Do you know what a rumor is. It's speculation about a report. What report? Who wrote that report and who were his sources. You got nothing, and you're eating it up and passing it along like gossip.

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

2 hours ago, Breakpoint4510 said:

Your source for that trade rumor is as credible as you are. That would be not at all. Again, the Panthers aren't that stupid. 

You just can't help yourself, stepping all over Teddy's qb wins even though he had a rookie head coach, a rookie play caller, an injured running back and no tight end to speak of. See how you run down the teams that your team beat? Now look in the mirror at your defense during that 0-8 stretch and see if you have nightmares of Brees, Brady, Foles, Mahomes , and Matty Ice getting fat on Phil Snow's bend and break defense. Your defense who you choose not to acknowlege was giving up third and twenties like granny going north. They even gave the slowest quarterback in football about eight seconds to run 18 yards untouched by human hands for a go ahead touchdown.

You don't hate Teddy? Could have fooled me. You did go from naming your dog after him to not hating him, so I guess that's something.

If the Panthers tighten up that offensive line, and plug some holes in that defense, you darn right the Panther should be in contention for the division.

We'll agree to disagree on the validity of that trade offer. Thats an SI article with tweets from Adam Schefter. If you've got any evidence of the contrary either as or more substantial than that please share it!

I dont disagree that I look at that move and think its dumb. If it were me I'd be inclined to maybe offer like a 3rd and a future 2nd. Nothing more and especially not number 8 overall.

I only dove deeper into his wins because you are parading 4 wins around like a badge of honor when Kyle Allen won 5 games last year for the Panthers with a lame duck coaching staff, similar offensive weapons (albeit with a healthy CMC) and the worst defense in the history of the NFL by several metrics.

I think Teddy and the offense performed admirably, especially at the start of the year with all the afore mentioned problems of a rookie staff figuring it out with a fresh young defense. I wouldn't even pin that Raiders loss on him because of Bradys rookie moment of getting too cute on 4th and inches giving the ball to Armah. 

My issue, and the one I alluded to earlier was Teddys play down the stretch. From week 10 on he looked abysmal.

That same stretch of games the defense actually started to gel (really once Whitehead was benched) and given their youth and undermanned talent held their own. Their 100% were still some growing pains like the cant get off the field on 3rd down to save our life for a 3 week stretch @KC and @NO (to me Teddys most impressive games) and VS TB but they were hardly the turnstile they were earlier throughout the remaining games. Look at some of these numbers from the stretch. 

VS ATL

(Teddy got hurt on a dirty cheap shot, admirably came back in but did not look right)

Held Ryan to 281 yards, 1 INT, no TDs

Held leading rusher B. Hill to 5y yards, Gurley to 2.6 YPC on 18 attempts

VS DET

(Teddy out with injury,  PJ walker throws 2 terrible redzone picks)

20-0 shutout win, held AP to 17 yards rushing, 5 Sacks, 11 QB hits 

@ MN

Dalvin Cooks worst game of the season, Chinn scored two defensive TDs 

@ GB

Held Aaron Rodgers to a season low 143 yds, 1 TD, sacked him a season high 5 times

@ WFT

Special Teams TD, 2 picks on Haskins, 3 sacks

Im not some extemist saying Teddy is the worst QB in the league. Im not advocating cutting him and rolling with PJ Walker or Will Grier. I just think the production does not warrant his salary. If theres an opportunity to improve for cheaper or to add a legit top 3 QB in this league like a Watson I want it explored. Doesn't mean I'm married to the idea of "Anyone but Teddy" because the best option for the future of the team may very well be rolling with Teddy on a second chance with a healthy CMC and a nasty mauling Oline. Remember, I only got involved in this thread over your ridiculous comment of our WRs being the problem. 

Maybe Teddy physically wasn't used to the wear and tear of a full season, maybe he played through some lingering effects of the dirty shot he took against ATL or maybe the hit just made him play scared the rest of the season ala David Carr. Either way, he was not the same QB he was earlier in the season. If he can get healthy, get stronger and start pushing the ball down field he has enough positive attributes to be a solid QB. Am I skeptical? Yeah. Do I hope I'm wrong? Absolutely. Because again, I only want my team to win and there isn't a scenario where a better Teddy Bridgewater is a detriment to this team. 

20 minutes ago, SteveSmithTD89 said:

We'll agree to disagree on the validity of that trade offer. Thats an SI article with tweets from Adam Schefter. If you've got any evidence of the contrary either as or more substantial than that please share it!

I dont disagree that I look at that move and think its dumb. If it were me I'd be inclined to maybe offer like a 3rd and a future 2nd. Nothing more and especially not number 8 overall.

I only dove deeper into his wins because you are parading 4 wins around like a badge of honor when Kyle Allen won 5 games last year for the Panthers with a lame duck coaching staff, similar offensive weapons (albeit with a healthy CMC) and the worst defense in the history of the NFL by several metrics.

I think Teddy and the offense performed admirably, especially at the start of the year with all the afore mentioned problems of a rookie staff figuring it out with a fresh young defense. I wouldn't even pin that Raiders loss on him because of Bradys rookie moment of getting too cute on 4th and inches giving the ball to Armah. 

My issue, and the one I alluded to earlier was Teddys play down the stretch. From week 10 on he looked abysmal.

That same stretch of games the defense actually started to gel (really once Whitehead was benched) and given their youth and undermanned talent held their own. Their 100% were still some growing pains like the cant get off the field on 3rd down to save our life for a 3 week stretch @KC and @NO (to me Teddys most impressive games) and VS TB but they were hardly the turnstile they were earlier throughout the remaining games. Look at some of these numbers from the stretch. 

VS ATL

(Teddy got hurt on a dirty cheap shot, admirably came back in but did not look right)

Held Ryan to 281 yards, 1 INT, no TDs

Held leading rusher B. Hill to 5y yards, Gurley to 2.6 YPC on 18 attempts

VS DET

(Teddy out with injury,  PJ walker throws 2 terrible redzone picks)

20-0 shutout win, held AP to 17 yards rushing, 5 Sacks, 11 QB hits 

@ MN

Dalvin Cooks worst game of the season, Chinn scored two defensive TDs 

@ GB

Held Aaron Rodgers to a season low 143 yds, 1 TD, sacked him a season high 5 times

@ WFT

Special Teams TD, 2 picks on Haskins, 3 sacks

Im not some extemist saying Teddy is the worst QB in the league. Im not advocating cutting him and rolling with PJ Walker or Will Grier. I just think the production does not warrant his salary. If theres an opportunity to improve for cheaper or to add a legit top 3 QB in this league like a Watson I want it explored. Doesn't mean I'm married to the idea of "Anyone but Teddy" because the best option for the future of the team may very well be rolling with Teddy on a second chance with a healthy CMC and a nasty mauling Oline. Remember, I only got involved in this thread over your ridiculous comment of our WRs being the problem. 

Maybe Teddy physically wasn't used to the wear and tear of a full season, maybe he played through some lingering effects of the dirty shot he took against ATL or maybe the hit just made him play scared the rest of the season ala David Carr. Either way, he was not the same QB he was earlier in the season. If he can get healthy, get stronger and start pushing the ball down field he has enough positive attributes to be a solid QB. Am I skeptical? Yeah. Do I hope I'm wrong? Absolutely. Because again, I only want my team to win and there isn't a scenario where a better Teddy Bridgewater is a detriment to this team. 

Glad to see someone acknowledge that Teddy did something right around here. Now let me run this by you. Teddy's worst showing as a NFL quarterback happens to have been his best statistical year. Now in the totality of Teddy's career he has never regressed as a player. And if he plays for the Panthers next year, which common sense says that he would, he's going to be better. Now it may not be enough for the statistical hounds, but he's going to help make the Panthers a better ball club. Now if the Panthers want to move on from him then, there will be a team that's a game manager away from a conference championship interested in him. 

I see Teddy's struggles this year as an aberration. I'm positive that he won's try to reach the ball over the goal line again, just as he never tried another left handed pass. I also know that he will finish those end of game drives, because of the success he's had at the end of halves. 

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

27 minutes ago, Breakpoint4510 said:

Now if the Panthers want to move on from him then, there will be a team that's a game manager away from a conference championship interested in him. 

And if the Chiefs stuck with their game manager, do you think they would they have won the Super Bowl with Alex Smith at QB?

5 hours ago, Breakpoint4510 said:

3 hours ago, Breakpoint4510 said:

Glad to see someone acknowledge that Teddy did something right around here. Now let me run this by you. Teddy's worst showing as a NFL quarterback happens to have been his best statistical year. Now in the totality of Teddy's career he has never regressed as a player. And if he plays for the Panthers next year, which common sense says that he would, he's going to be better. Now it may not be enough for the statistical hounds, but he's going to help make the Panthers a better ball club. Now if the Panthers want to move on from him then, there will be a team that's a game manager away from a conference championship interested in him. 

I see Teddy's struggles this year as an aberration. I'm positive that he won's try to reach the ball over the goal line again, just as he never tried another left handed pass. I also know that he will finish those end of game drives, because of the success he's had at the end of halves. 

Your continued stooping to accusing me and others of a personal vendetta is feeble and pathetic. Between your comments on the Stafford trade and my posts, if citing sourced information that includes literally Carolina's staff and FO is 'editorializing' then you have an issue with reality. I opine on him as a player, nothing else, and you sure know nothing about me either.  I will consider and own any proof you can quote here of where I've attacked Teddy personally but don't need to because you have none. It doesn't exist because it hasn't happened.

I don't recall that left-handed being mentioned recently on this board... If jt's been cited in this thread please remind me of where. Ignoring that stretching at the goal line apparently flew in the face of what he'd been specifically coached not to do I actually defended him about that play in the past, saying he was a young guy who just got caught trying too hard. Even then one would expect a 7th-year player who is supposedly a smart, disciplined QB to be able to listen to his coaches and not make such a simple Football 101 mistake he 

This isn't complicated. Teddy looked exactly as he's always looked as a starter and got figured out, again. The issues objectively on film were/are as they've always been - lack of arm strength/anticipation, poor downfield accuracy, no dynamics to his game (allowing defenses to sit), and drives dying in the red zone (exactly what happened all year). He may not have regressed but he has not developed, and the odds of a guy going into his 8th year, 6th if one prorates for the injury, suddenly popping are slim to none.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1