• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

For Zach Wilson fans...

Mr. Scot

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

Dude we have a ton of holes.  We need a safety, corners, olineman, te, and dline depth and of course a qb.   We have a poo ton of holes.  

Dline depth isn’t a hole. A hole is a starter. A hole is a glaring need, as far as I understand the word. TE isn’t a hole. Corner barely qualifies. Safety, maybe but Chinn and Burris is a fine combo to me. The only holes I see are a couple OL, corner kinda, MLB. And we have a fair amount of cap space to get FAs for those holes if we’re drafting a QB

• Beer 1

19 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I understand what you're saying but we need a QB over all other positions right now. A good QB mitigates weaknesses throughout the roster. The trade up would be worth it to me. There are other rounds than just the first and good GM's can find good players in those rounds too. 

To trade up to Miami's spot....we could offer them every 2021 draft pick we got.  And there response would be....AND? 

I'd still rather draft Parson's vs that and then go after Sam Darnold if those are my two options. 

I'd rather sit at #8.  See if a QB falls.  Not get crazy ahead of time.  We see QBs fall all the time.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

22 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

That’s fine, but based on my own watching of all the videos youtube has to offer, Wilson has skills that Fields just hasn’t shown yet. And a better arm and better throws.  There isn’t really anything you can say Fields had an advantage in except size and the team he played for.  In my opinion. 

Well, if you put on Field's best tape vs Wilson's best tape.....I say Field's wins that battle. 

Go watch Field's bust up Clemson.  One of the top 3 programs in all of college football with the best defensive coordinator in the game.   Clemson's D might not be Bama in terms of bodies....but what he went up against wasn't a joke. What is Wilson's best tape? 

I'd also say Field's 2019 seasons was better than Wilson's 2020.   I don't think enough acknowledge how crazy the roster changes were for Ohio St week to week in 2020.  

1 hour ago, CRA said:

Well, if you put on Field's best tape vs Wilson's best tape.....I say Field's wins that battle. 

Go watch Field's bust up Clemson.  One of the top 3 programs in all of college football with the best defensive coordinator in the game.   Clemson's D might not be Bama in terms of bodies....but what he went up against wasn't a joke. What is Wilson's best tape? 

I'd also say Field's 2019 seasons was better than Wilson's 2020.   I don't think enough acknowledge how crazy the roster changes were for Ohio St week to week in 2020.  

Yea I get what you’re saying. But I tend to look at prospects a different way, looking for specific traits rather than just how they played as a whole. In my mind, it helps weed out the “who they have around them” and “who they played against” factors. Fields hasn’t shown the ability to make reads and Wilson has better pass placement and range on his throws. Fields has been more limited. Doesn’t mean I don’t think Fields can make the reads and the throws, just means I haven’t seen it like I have with Wilson. 

and from your lips to God’s ears my friend. Watson is a best case scenario, pretty much regardless of the cost. 

2 hours ago, CRA said:

To trade up to Miami's spot....we could offer them every 2021 draft pick we got.  And there response would be....AND? 

I'd still rather draft Parson's vs that and then go after Sam Darnold if those are my two options. 

I'd rather sit at #8.  See if a QB falls.  Not get crazy ahead of time.  We see QBs fall all the time.  

My argument against that is we had the best MLB in a generation in 2019 and no QB and our team was butthole. 

QB makes the whole team go. Without one, we are not going to win anything. 

14 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

My argument against that is we had the best MLB in a generation in 2019 and no QB and our team was butthole. 

That butthole team won more games than Watson's butthole team this year.

1 hour ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Yea I get what you’re saying. But I tend to look at prospects a different way, looking for specific traits rather than just how they played as a whole. In my mind, it helps weed out the “who they have around them” and “who they played against” factors. Fields hasn’t shown the ability to make reads and Wilson has better pass placement and range on his throws. Fields has been more limited. Doesn’t mean I don’t think Fields can make the reads and the throws, just means I haven’t seen it like I have with Wilson. 

and from your lips to God’s ears my friend. Watson is a best case scenario, pretty much regardless of the cost. 

I still feel there is some weird pro Wilson/anti Fields campaign that was launched.  

Take ball placement/accuracy.  That is Field’s strength.   Probably an argument  he is the #1 QB in the draft in that aspect. 

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

again, I don’t disagree the QB is the piece  that matters most.   Which is why I won’t complain about the farm being given up for Watson. 

but Zach Wilson isn’t Watson.  Draft him at 8? Cool. I don’t love him but won’t complain.   Trade up to 3? Not worth it to me.  Cost far too high for that lotto scratch off.   

and best compliment you can give a QB is a D.  So if we aren’t investing in a QB with the first pick I lean what would aid in our current D getting better.   Huge hole at the second level right now.   

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Dline depth isn’t a hole. A hole is a starter. A hole is a glaring need, as far as I understand the word. TE isn’t a hole. Corner barely qualifies. Safety, maybe but Chinn and Burris is a fine combo to me. The only holes I see are a couple OL, corner kinda, MLB. And we have a fair amount of cap space to get FAs for those holes if we’re drafting a QB

Dline is massive hole on this roster. We need a 3 technique who can bring pressure up the middle. D.Brown should improve with age, but he's more of a NT type. He is double teamed most of the time. We need someone beside him who can bring some heat, which  make things easier for Brown. You need to take a look at years stats. We had 29 sacks as a team. Brian Burns had 9 of them. Efe Obada had 5.5. No one else had more than 5. None of our DT's had more than 2. A lot of people want to blame Teddy for all of our problems last year, but Carolina's defense gave up on average over 25 points per game. Part of that is due to a lack of a consistent pass rush. We also gave up 4.7 yds per rush on average on the ground.

The team  only had 7 interceptions and 3 of those  were by a Donte Jackson, the only CB on the team to get an INT.   I think that more than qualifies as a roster hole. Three of our Safeties has 1 interception each, the last INT was by a LB (Tahir Whitehead). We can't assume a lot of free agents are going to be excited about playing for a 5-11 team this offseason. We need to fill these holes through the draft if possible. You can't do that if you give away everything to move up 5 or 6 spots in the draft and nab a QB.

Our guys played hard last year. I expect our 2nd year players to improve in 2021. But, when you look at our defensive stats, it amazing we were as competitve as we were in 2020. 

2 hours ago, CRA said:

I still feel there is some weird pro Wilson/anti Fields campaign that was launched.  

Take ball placement/accuracy.  That is Field’s strength.   Probably an argument  he is the #1 QB in the draft in that aspect. 

Did this campaign somehow force Fields to look bad in some of his biggest games?

9 hours ago, AU-panther said:

With no combine I wonder will teams get an accurate height/weight on him?

What is he listed at now? 

As far as the shoulder goes that is concerning, everyone likes to say Lance has the biggest bust chance, but if there are any shoulder concerns at all then really Wilson is the riskiest of the 4.  Teams are really going to have to trust their medical. 

Rumor is he's just two kids in a trenchcoat.

5 hours ago, CRA said:

I don’t think it is some “campaign” to discredit Fields but instead some actual metrics that are a bit concerning when trying to predict the ability to translate to the next level. 

The question is, are these issues because he can’t or because he wasn’t asked to because of the system he was in. 

I do agree with you that his accuracy and arm talent is as great.  If you ask him to drop back and throw to his first read he is as good as anyone, including Trevor. 

Personally I’m higher on him than most because I think some of the so called perceived issues can be fixed with coaching.