• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The story on Fitterer is a big "?", but Panthers Wire gives clues/advice

top dawg

We've all heard Scott Fitterer say some good things, and heard Matt Rhule and David Tepper say good things about him, but, honestly, we still don't know what the Panthers have got in Fitterer. Tim Weaver and Panthers Wire have endeavored to give clarity as to what we've really acquired, but basically we'll just have to wait and see. As a fan, I think Fitterer has received some immediate kudos for NOT being Marty Hurney much like Joe Biden did for not being Donald Trump (by millions), but I can say that for me, there is no honeymoon. Fit has to come in here and hit the ground running by making some good to great acquisitions, practical common-sense money-personnel management, and make sure the needle for the franchise is always moving towards excellence. All that being said, Weaver gives us some food for thought, and (like always) I'm going to give you a selected cliff notes version in my own words. 

Having a solid initial impression of Fit is difficult because we probably will never know how much responsibility and influence he had over Seahawks' drafts. We do know that he wasn't the shot caller, so that's why Fit probably deserves some benefit of the doubt when Seahawk drafts went south. By the same token, he gets some amount of praise as well.

2011 and 2012 were some really outstanding drafts by the Seahawks. In 2011, they got a solid lineman in James Carpenter in round 1, and acquired two very important pieces of the Legion of Boom in the 4th and 5th rounds in K.J. Wright and Richard Sherman respectively.

"To have three players in one draft class still around a decade later is impressive as hell and Sherman might be the greatest value they got during their golden era of draft classes."

The Hawks drafted two other important pieces on defense with generationally good linebacker Bobby Wagner in round 2, but started it out in the first with Bruce Irvin. And then, just for kicks, they drafted their future HoFer franchise QB in round 3 in Russell Wilson. 

That's damned good, and it's the main reason why they became champions (should've been twice). But 2013 and 14 were pretty meh. For some reason the Hawks drafted not one but two RBs and a bunch of other nondescript players. Spencer Ware made a little more noise than the uber-athletic bust Christine Michael, but the Seahawks basically wasted the 2013 and 14 drafts. Sure, they got Paul Richardson, and Justin Britt (OL), but they probably could have done better with FAs. Weaver gives them a little more credit for Richardson and Britt, but I'm not impressed. Richardson was really a round 2 bust in my opinion.

One thing that is pretty notable, as we all know, is that the Seahawks have gotten some gems outside the first round. In 2015, Frank Clark was drafted right before the 3rd, and Tyler Lockett was an excellent pickup at 69. But honestly, from 2016 all the way to now, but for the absolute prize that is D.K. Metcalf (drafted with the last pick of the 2nd), there hasn't been much to write home about. I mean, they may have had some finds like Chris Carson, but the Seahawks haven't really been maximizing their drafts in my opinion, and I don't care that they acquired so many draft picks. Who cares if you aren't hitting paydirt?

Weaver pointed out the Seahawks' inability to hit the broadside of a barn with a pick of a decent O-lineman. 

"This failure has several fathers. A lot of the blame has to fall on the front office for making poor evaluations on OL prospects."

I mean, wasn't Fit a primary player in scouting OL prospects?¯\_༼ •́ ͜ʖ •̀ ༽_/¯

"This one area is probably the most concerning as far as what Fitterer might bring to the table in Carolina. Hopefully he’s learned from Seattle’s failures, or will at least offer different ideas on how to scout and develop linemen."

Why should I believe that he's learned anything? That's a long and indistinguishable record. But, "hopefully"...乁[ ◕ ᴥ ◕ ]ㄏ

Weaver goes on to point out that the Hawks weren't afraid to trade away firsts for splash FAs. That's not bad when you actually hit the nail on the head, but Percy Harvin and Jimmy Graham didn't really pan out all that well, and it was likely ill-advised for them to trade for Jamal Adams, but that's how they roll. Hopefully Fit will have us rolling a little bit smoother if deciding to give up first rounders for a big payday.

Weaver thinks willingness to make a splash in FA is a good thing that Fit will hopefully bring from his time with the Hawks.

"The major takeaway here is that Seattle’s decision-makers aren’t afraid to go out and get a player they’re in love with. While the devil is in the details, that’s a good instinct and hopefully one Fitterer will carry over with him."

But I'd be cautious with that assessment. Like I said, you have to hit in order for it to be a good thing.

Perhaps the biggest thing that Weaver points out is how the presence of Scott McCloughan in the Seahawks FO, or lack thereof, may speak to the success and failure of their drafts. To me it's kind of ominous, but I hope that Fit has taken notes from the guy.

"Before McCloughan came to Seattle, he had a hand in building their most bitter rivals. As the 49ers’ general manager from 2008-2009 he was instrumental in putting together the Jim Harbaugh-era Niners...After San Francisco, McCloughan also helped build a dynasty-that-should-have-been in Seattle, then he also had a strong run with Washington from 2015-2016."

"Since McCloughan left town, the Seahawks’ draft classes seemed to get weaker and weaker every year...it’s been a long time since they put together a truly impressive draft class."

"We don’t know exactly how much influence McCloughan had over the process compared to Fitterer, Carroll or Schneider. That said, the downward trend after his exit is significant enough to think he was the party most responsible for their success in the draft."

Post-McCloughan it seems like the Seahawks drafts have gone off the rails a bit. As Weaver points out, they've invested in RBs too much. I've already mentioned their inability to draft quality O-lineman. They also continue to seem to value linebackers more than most, which is arguably becoming for the defense akin to what RB is to offense in regards to value and return on investment. Like Weaver, I guess we can hope that Fit has this same evolving philosophy about the position (but I don't know that you'd ever pass on a generational type guy...if you need one...{Micah Parsons}

Anyway, like I said, the jury is out on Fitterer! We're about to find out what type of GM he is. I just hope that our drafts and acquisitions are better than what the Seahawks have had for the last half decade. Matt Rhule seems like a really effective leader, so I'm going to watch with much anticipation as to what he and Fitterer can create and manifest in Charlotte.

Read the article! It's great food for thought.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pantherswire.usatoday.com/lists/panthers-scott-fitterer-seahawks-history-draft-themes/amp/

• Pie 6
  • Beer 3

Seems he's pretty active in free agency and has a bad history with the draft. That could point to an inability to evaluate college talent effectively and instead finds it easier to try and trade for name players hoping to make a hit there... the Percy Harvin deal for example.

If this is the case, then we should be very worried.

• Beer 1

I'm not gonna lie, I am somewhat concerned about our new GM.  Seattle's last 5 drafts have left a lot to be desired.  It doesn't help that Seahawks recent drafts could have been managed by Marty Hurney.  Their focus on RBs and LBs, while simultaneously failing to build an effective Oline hits a little too close to home.

At this point, I'm gonna attribute the good results of the Panthers 2020 draft mostly to Rhule.  Will Matt and Scott have the ability to effectively collaborate?  That will tell the tale.

Bottom line: Cautiously Optimistic  

• Beer 3

2 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

I'm not gonna lie, I am somewhat concerned about our new GM.  Seattle's last 5 drafts have left a lot to be desired.  It doesn't help that Seahawks recent drafts could have been managed by Marty Hurney.  Their focus on RBs and LBs, while simultaneously failing to build an effective Oline hits a little too close to home.

At this point, I'm gonna attribute the good results of the Panthers 2020 draft mostly to Rhule.  Will Matt and Scott have the ability to effectively collaborate?  That will tell the tale.

Bottom line: Cautiously Optimistic  

Gonna be honest, the drafts in Seattle don't concern me as much as maybe somewhere else.  Pete has a LOT of sway in that organization, and he's an old school coach.

His fascination with great defense and running the ball may very well have cost them dearly, I know it did the Panthers for years with Marty in charge.

Tepper makes me the most nervous, then Fitt, then Rhule.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

18 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I just don't know what we are getting from Fritters. I do know he is on the clock and I don't give a poop about training wheels with him.

I know that's right! He's been in a pro FO for years, and is supposed to be this collegiate evaluation guru who has his finger on the pulse of personnel. I'm not necessarily giving him too much of a grace period. Now that could change until the 2022 draft and season depending upon whether we'd have to give up a king's ransom for Watson (because Tepper wants him), but I'm not inclined to give him much grace beyond that. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Agree on Tepper.

Last thing I want is the guy with zero experience as a talent evaluator dictating to the guys who actually have a clue what they're doing.

Biggest thing to me....just stop making dumb mistakes.  We have done that for years and years.