• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trade with Dolphins to get Watson?

AU-panther

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

If you're implying that the Panthers have actually discussed trading McCaffrey, there's zero indication of that.

here's a statement from somebody who actually does work for the Panthers though.

I think you are trying to make an absolute statement out of a tweet that wasn't meant absolute.  

He isn't saying it isn't possible, just expensive but not as expensive as you are making it sound.  The $21m isn't extra, CMC is already on the books for $12.5, if Voth is correct about the $21m that would mean an extra $8.5m.

Ask yourself this, do we have enough cap space to absorb an extra $8.5?  The answer is yes. 

If spotrac.com and overthecap.com are both correct and the trade hit is only 17.2m then its only an extra $4.7m.

Whether its an extra 4.7m or 8.5m we can afford it if it means getting Watson.

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

I think you are trying to make an absolute statement out of a tweet that wasn't meant absolute.  

He isn't saying it isn't possible, just expensive but not as expensive as you are making it sound.  The $21m isn't extra, CMC is already on the books for $12.5, if Voth is correct about the $21m that would mean an extra $8.5m.

Ask yourself this, do we have enough cap space to absorb an extra $8.5?  The answer is yes. 

If spotrac.com and overthecap.com are both correct and the trade hit is only 17.2m then its only an extra $4.7m.

Can’t explain to some people, but he thinks Voth is like right there in the same office under Teppers balls

1 minute ago, BurnNChinn said:

Can’t explain to some people, but he thinks Voth is like right there in the same office under Teppers balls

Voth actually does work in the building, for the Panthers, and can ask Samir Suleiman a direct question anytime he would like.

Does Spotrac have an Insider with the team?

Edited by Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, Moo Daeng said:

I'm not sure why you are quoting me but I was pointing out that Miami is not going to trade with us to bolter our trade proposal when they themselves want Watson. 

And CMC may be great but he's not a valid trade piece this year for obvious contract reasons for either side of a trade.

all of this of course would be dependent on Miami not wanting Watson and instead having faith in Tua.

This actually could benefit the Dolphins if they don't want Watson, it would prevent Watson from going to a division rival.  They could draft someone like Smith or Waddle at 8, to go along with CMC, that wouldn't be too bad for a young QBs development.

I'm not saying this scenario is going to happen, or even if it would be smart play by us.  My only point is the idea of making a trade for an asset to help you make a future trade isn't a foreign concept in the world of sports.

Whether its a three team trade, or 2 trades in succession, my only point was that it is feasible and it would address one of our disadvantages in the Watson sweepstakes.

If anything the first trade could be made even without the guarantee of the second trade, if the team was high on whatever QB they could draft at 3.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Voth actually does work in the building, for the Panthers, and can ask Samir Suleiman a direct question anytime he would like.

Does Spotrac have an Insider with the team?

I doubt he is wasting Samir's time to get a number for a tweet.  He is probably looking at spotrac or overthecap.

• Flames 1

Just now, AU-panther said:

I doubt he is wasting Samir's time to get a number for a tweet.  He is probably looking at spotrac or overthecap.

You think a guy with direct access to somebody on the team is going to look up answers on the internet instead? 

Oy...

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

You think a guy with direct access to somebody on the team is going to look up answers on the internet instead? 

Oy...

its not a difficult question, why waste someone's time.

either way it doesn't change the fact its feasible.  His point is the same at 21m or even 17m,trading CMC would have some cap ramifications involved, hence the reason it wasn't as easy as sopme people were making it..

He never said not possible.

Let me ask you this, if Texans called and offered Watson for CMC could we do it?  The answer is yes, and Voth would tell you the same.  

The idea of trading up with Miami came up yesterday on some thread.  Watson was not part of that discussion, so it adds a possible second move to this, not a three-team trade.

Why would Miami trade for CMC?  The rationale goes like this.  They are close to being a solid playoff team.  Their needs going into draft day are WR, RB, OL, LB, and an Edge rusher.  They say they are set with Tua, and I'll take them at their word (more later).  They have the #3 and #18 pick in the first round.

I do not believe they are actively shopping the #3 pick.  If they do, I doubt they will want to move down too far, since, if they are indeed close, the #3 or similar pick is not going to happen again for a while.  It, along with the #18 pick guarantee them a shot at plugging two holes with day-one starters.

Enter the Panthers.  If it is a straight #8 and CMC for #3, the Dolphins stand a good chance of walking out of the first round with three starters in positions of need.  They will still be able to draft a WR that should start immediately at #8.  If not a WR, a LB (perhaps named Parsons) or OL, or Edge. #18 should give them a starter at one of those positions.  CMC plugs their RB hole.

That is where I get off the train.  We would use the #3 pick to grab our QB from the "big four" pool, certain to get one of them. I think it will be cheaper for us than trying to move to #2 with the Jets, and CMC is probably more attractive to the Dolphins than anybody else ahead of us because it is an acknowledge position of need.

But, I think the #3 pick is just part of a very expensive price it would take to get Watson, assuming the Texans decide to trade Watson.  The rest of that price could be crippling. 

A final thought on the Dolphins and Tua (as promised above).  The one thing that might cause them to rethink how sold they are on Tua right now is if Watson becomes available to them at a reasonable price.   But, I am not sure they will want to mortgage the farm for him, either, and leave filling the other positions of need to chance.

2 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Please, stop. The trade for Watson crap just keeps getting more and more ludicrous. Let it go and move on.

If we went through everything everyone has suggested AND somehow managed to talk both Houston and Watson into moving here, not only would we have a major hit to the old salary cap, but new contract in a couple of years and a QB who has the entire organization by the short and curlies. Getting him could potentially nullify both the new GM and the head coach, not to mention any other players of note that somehow remained untraded.

This is actually beginning to get pathetic.

the owner of the fuging team keeps saying publicly that we want watson, so we're going to keep talking about it

• Flames 1

23 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

nobody is talking about trading CMC except a few morons on this board

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

So you are saying it technically impossible to trade CMC this year? 

I'm saying Voth said it's not a realistic scenario.

His exact words:

So while it’s easy to toss his name on top of speculation, the reality is something different.

He added this as a follow-up:

Conversation wouldn’t have been as fun if they had to say, “Deal would have to include other players that aren’t as well known nationally.”

As I recall, this was in response to David Newton's "bold prediction".

You can continue to speculate about it as much as you want, but it's not realistic.