• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Owner Involvement

Mr. Scot

Tepper is a different cat. He hasn't done anything too earth shattering yet, and until he does, I'm rolling with him. 

The most important thing that he's done thus far with what appears to be heavy involvement is acquire a coach who (in my mind) looks promising, and a GM with seemingly a lot of practical knowledge and definitely a lot of connects league wide. I'm not going to fault him for either move (even if some think they came a season too late).

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

Or you have the complete opposite in Seattle where ownership is a ghost and the lack of any pressure has allowed the staff to put it on cruise control and stagnate while they coast on Wilson's production.

Best option is ownership that is hands off micro managing but still let's the staff know to produce or else. 

Tepper doesn't know anything meaningful about football. Either he hired well or he will fail.

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Also where is the evidence of Tepper driving football decisions? I’ve heard no stories where he has done so other than mentioning we need a franchise QB (which literally everyone knows we need who has common sense). Has anyone heard of any stories where he dictates the game plan? Said we had to sign a specific free agent? Forced Hurney to draft a specific player?

• Pie 7

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

He's right, though.

Tepper saying "we need to get a quarterback" and trusting what his decision makers do in that regard, no problem.

Tepper, as the guy with the least amount of real football knowledge in the room dictating details to people who know way more than he does? Big problem.

We've heard plenty of talk about how important the quarterback issue is to Tepper but pretty much nothing about how involved he is in the process, if at all.

Personally, I'd rather he not be.

That is why they say, "ignorance is bliss."  It takes some degree of intelligence to realize when you are being stupid.  It also takes some degree of humility to give others power over something you own.  It is Tepper's car, and although all the passengers are sober and skilled drivers and Tepper is drunk and unskilled, he refuses to surrender his keys.  (metaphor applicable only if this is they case).

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Tepper is a different cat. He hasn't done anything too earth shattering yet, and until he does, I'm rolling with him. 

The most important thing that he's done thus far with what appears to be heavy involvement is acquire a coach who (in my mind) looks promising, and a GM with seemingly a lot of practical knowledge and definitely a lot of connects league wide. I'm not going to fault him for either move (even if some think they came a season too late).

Tepper admitted he was the one who suggested that Rivera switch to a 3-4.

And honestly, I don't care how "different a cat" he is. I do care whether he meddles as an owner.

I think the last thing anybody wants is the guy who said that Marty Hurney was one of the best talent evaluators in the league influencing football decisions; coaching, personnel or otherwise.

• Beer 3