• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Owner Involvement

Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

We've got some people wanting it to happen with regard to Watson.

What I'd point out there are two things:

1) You never want the guy with the least amount of knowledge in the room to be the one dictating the decisions.

2) If it starts with Watson, highly unlikely it stops there.

Yeah, I want the new GM and the coaching staff to be making those kind of decisions.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

He's right, though.

Tepper saying "we need to get a quarterback" and trusting what his decision makers do in that regard, no problem.

Tepper, as the guy with the least amount of real football knowledge in the room dictating details to people who know way more than he does? Big problem.

We've heard plenty of talk about how important the quarterback issue is to Tepper but pretty much nothing about how involved he is in the process, if at all.

Personally, I'd rather he not be.

Hell, we ALL know we need to get a QB. That's like saying the best way to invest is buy low, sell high...NO poo!  As long as he isn't trying to dictate WHO we go after, I'm jiggy with him. I have basically taken his comments, so far, as saying he has Rhule's and Fitterer's backs if they want to go balls-to-the-wall after "their guy".

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

We let the so called "football guys" decide last year and we ended up with Teddy Bridgewater. 

I think Tepper is just letting them know he is not going for that poo again. He wants an upper tier QB not some bench warming scrub we try to make into a starter.

Depending on how things really went down the main football guy behind that decision may have already been fired. At this point IMO the staff and FO still deserve the benefit of the doubt, and this offseason will be very telling.

11 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

We let the so called "football guys" decide last year and we ended up with Teddy Bridgewater. 

I think Tepper is just letting them know he is not going for that poo again. He wants an upper tier QB not some bench warming scrub we try to make into a starter.

Last year's football guys included a PR guy who was mistakenly given a job as a football guy.

• Pie 1

32 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

Frustrated World Cup GIF

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Tepper admitted he was the one who suggested that Rivera switch to a 3-4.

And honestly, I don't care how "different a cat" he is. I do care whether he meddles as an owner.

I think the last thing anybody wants is the guy who said that Marty Hurney was one of the best talent evaluators in the league influencing football decisions; coaching, personnel or otherwise.

He was saying that based on what others had told him when when he was in the process of closing the deal or shortly thereafter. Once he learned about Hurney's shortcomings, he fired him! Damn, man, you act like people can't actually learn and grow!

Furthermore, suggesting that someone change or add to the scheme is exactly that. It doesn't mean he's forcing coaches to do anything. Come on, Scot!

Edited by top dawg

3 hours ago, WarPanthers89 said:

I don’t understand why so many people keep this up with Tepper. He has shown no evidence of being “too involved”. He had to set up the business side of the team and just now got the football side in line with a new structure and all pieces in place. He gives his opinion on the team, which is a warm welcome from Richardson who literally never spoke to the public. Speaking of that guy, no one pointed out how terrible he was as an owner until the “Jean day” articles came out and he was forced to sell the team. 

Tepper admitted he should have canned Hurney when he did Rivera which was also refreshing. The guy isn’t afraid to speak to the public about his ideas, views of the team, and future goals/needs. All of these threads asking if he’s a failed owner, talking about how bad he sucks, that he’s too involved etc are just a waste. At the end of the day what are we going to do? Fire him? He may deserve criticism down the road, but as of right now he does not.

Three losing seasons in a row 

looks to be setting up for a fourth and that sure seems like potential of failure to me 

not sure how I feel about him and not sure it matters but if he wants to build that new stadium, and people to keep throwing dollars at his franchise, he best stop talking about ‘the process’ and start producing 

Edited by raleigh-panther

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

He's right, though.

Tepper saying "we need to get a quarterback" and trusting what his decision makers do in that regard, no problem.

Tepper, as the guy with the least amount of real football knowledge in the room dictating details to people who know way more than he does? Big problem.

We've heard plenty of talk about how important the quarterback issue is to Tepper but pretty much nothing about how involved he is in the process, if at all.

Personally, I'd rather he not be.

Isn't Tepper the guy who had to tell Hurney to tell Rivera to get Cam off the field, ultimately resulting in him going on the IR, because he couldn't throw the ball down the field anymore?

Not saying it should be the norm, but there are times when coaches and GMs are so deeply involved (call it "head in ass syndrome") that they cannot see the forest fire for the trees and it takes someone on the outside looking in to point out the obvious.

If I were a former hedge fund manager who crushed I don't know how many businesses, then you can bet if buy a football team I'm going to interfere and dictate what I want. If I owned the Panthers then you can rest assured we would have started Grier last season and Teddy would not be on the roster. If I spent billions on buying the Panthers then I'm going to interfere. Hell that's the best part of owning the team.

Edited by pantherj
  • Pie 1