• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jets willing to discuss trading Darnold

Mr. Scot

I’m a big fan of Kollman’s content. This was made after Darnold’s first preseason in 2018. 

As a rookie I thought Sammy D looked pretty decent all things considered.

Then in 2019...

Adam Gase showed up. 

If Darnold is given a fresh start somewhere with a good coach I think the potential is still there. 

meh we can build the team with TB for another year without trading picks and I don’t think he has ‘it’ to be the future. Who knows though he could be Allen and just need more time.

But I’d rather draft a raw QB to sit for a year or work on building a solid team than trade anything ridiculous away. 

But I’m a fan more concerned with how we look 2023 and beyond more than being continuously butthurt I’m not instantly gratified.

Just now, onmyown said:

meh we can build the team with TB for another year without trading picks and I don’t think he has ‘it’ to be the future. Who knows though he could be Allen and just need more time.

But I’d rather draft a raw QB to sit for a year or work on building a solid team than trade anything ridiculous away. 

But I’m a fan more concerned with how we look 2023 and beyond more than being continuously butthurt I’m not instantly gratified.

Teddy will not be on team this year

I have no issue bringing Darnold in for a 4th or lower. At worst he would be a serviceable backup or be cut. At best, with the right coaching he could be a solid starting QB. Not everyone has the benefit of having Andy Reid as their head coach. He has made some boneheaded moves that need to be addressed. But how high should expectations have been with Gase and the poo show he ran. I think he’s worth the gamble. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, BurnNChinn said:

Teddy will not be on team this year

That’s not exactly a risky/hot take - it’s all but written in stone.

I’m just saying I’d rather have TB and/or a rookie than trade a high round pick for basically nothing (Darnold).

Trading TB and giving picks for Darnold is basically the most wasteful route you could go IMO unless you have a QB that you believe is your guy, you know will be there at 8, and don’t want to sit him and start him day 1 which is not only impossible to know but doubtful.

2 hours ago, onmyown said:

Lol. Why do people continue to think Teddy will all of a sudden turn into a 25+TD QB. He is who he is. A backup in a starter role. He is never going to improve or get better. He is always going to be ultra conservative, have bad arm strength and check down. 
Teddy needs to go if this team is to reach its potential. 

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

His situation is unique. He's only 23 yo, younger than last year's #1 pick.

It isn't unique from the perspective of him being an experienced starting QB in the NFL that just hasn't played well or improved. Is some of that due to Adam Gase and the Jets? Absolutely. But at the same time, not every young QB is put in a situation to succeed and some still ultimately are able to rise about the poor circumstances. Darnold hasn't done that, so it definitely makes you wonder if he just doesn't have what it takes to be a successful player in the NFL or hasn't done what is required to be a success.

A was still a three year player and two year starting QB at a football factory school. Was has been playing QB for years. So, is it really that he is just 23? I don't think I can completely buy that as being the primary reason.

21 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

It isn't unique from the perspective of him being an experienced starting QB in the NFL that just hasn't played well or improved. Is some of that due to Adam Gase and the Jets? Absolutely. But at the same time, not every young QB is put in a situation to succeed and some still ultimately are able to rise about the poor circumstances. Darnold hasn't done that, so it definitely makes you wonder if he just doesn't have what it takes to be a successful player in the NFL or hasn't done what is required to be a success.

A was still a three year player and two year starting QB at a football factory school. Was has been playing QB for years. So, is it really that he is just 23? I don't think I can completely buy that as being the primary reason.

I don't know if he has "it" or not. I wonder how much of the idiocy of Gase and his decision making affected Darnold. Having no clear plan or leadership at the HC position would dramatically affect anyone I would think. Some stability would probably do wonders for the guy, and having a coach that acted like he had some sort of plan rather than playing madden the night before. Still, I wouldn't pay a lot for him. 

2 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I don't know if he has "it" or not. I wonder how much of the idiocy of Gase and his decision making affected Darnold. Having no clear plan or leadership at the HC position would dramatically affect anyone I would think. Some stability would probably do wonders for the guy, and having a coach that acted like he had some sort of plan rather than playing madden the night before. Still, I wouldn't pay a lot for him. 

Agreed. I am not against acquiring him, but it needs to be at a fairly reasonable price. Let's not forget that he is also in the last year of his rookie deal, so if you trade something like a 3rd or 4th round pick for him is that worth a one year rental player? You really need to be convinced on him to trade draft capital away, IMO. 

Given our overall needs as a team, it can't be a "hope this works out" kind of move when we give up draft picks. Those draft picks are critical for building this franchise back up.

Just now, kungfoodude said:

Agreed. I am not against acquiring him, but it needs to be at a fairly reasonable price. Let's not forget that he is also in the last year of his rookie deal, so if you trade something like a 3rd or 4th round pick for him is that worth a one year rental player? You really need to be convinced on him to trade draft capital away, IMO. 

Given our overall needs as a team, it can't be a "hope this works out" kind of move when we give up draft picks. Those draft picks are critical for building this franchise back up.

If he goes for a 4th, I wouldn't give up our 3rd because I don't think he's worth a high 3rd, I'd expect some type of 2-3 year extension for reasonable money as part of the trade. Pay him like a backup, not T2G backup money, and then put some incentives in the contract to pay him if he wins the starting job and actually produces. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Lol. Why do people continue to think Teddy will all of a sudden turn into a 25+TD QB. He is who he is. A backup in a starter role. He is never going to improve or get better. He is always going to be ultra conservative, have bad arm strength and check down. 
Teddy needs to go if this team is to reach its potential. 

You need some serious help with comprehension. There is literally no one who thinks this. Your life must truly suck being this confused about what people say and reality.