• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trade Devonte?

ENCPantherfan2

Monk will DEF cost more than $5m.. his qualifying offer is $7.3m alone.. But with the way he has been playing - I assume someone will try to scoop him up with a better offer..

Malik Beasley got a deal of 4yrs $60m ($15m avg) last year and they have about the same stats.. if we want to keep Monk, we might have to give him a 4 year $48-$50m deal..

keep in mind Terry and Bridges will be coming up the year after.. and Batum's $9m we stretched for 2 more years 🤬..

If we hold still at trade deadline and don't make any moves:
Cody + Biz + Graham = $20.6m in cap space at end of year
Do we want to retain Monk for $12m-$13m of our space and take the remaining $7m and find a big man?

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

Monk will DEF cost more than $5m.. his qualifying offer is $7.3m alone.. But with the way he has been playing - I assume someone will try to scoop him up with a better offer..

Malik Beasley got a deal of 4yrs $60m ($15m avg) last year and they have about the same stats.. if we want to keep Monk, we might have to give him a 4 year $48-$50m deal..

keep in mind Terry and Bridges will be coming up the year after.. and Batum's $9m we stretched for 2 more years 🤬..

If we hold still at trade deadline and don't make any moves:
Cody + Biz + Graham = $20.6m in cap space at end of year
Do we want to retain Monk for $12m-$13m of our space and take the remaining $7m and find a big man?

Malik Monk at $12mil/yr for the next 4 years = yes please.  Steal.

2 hours ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Just never been sold on Monk.  Guy has shown flashes, but has been remarkably inconsistent.  I don't think we you pay him 12 mil a year for 4 years for a few decent months of basketball.

agreed...i still like graham

would like to have them both

monk is gonna hold out for a max deal anyway

Edited by Scott12345

I don't like that Monk's growing up just happened to have occurred in a contract year. Monk reminds me a little of Tyrus Thomas in the contract year play. I don't think the Hornets will make the same mistake twice because Monk will probably be looking to leave the team anyway, if for no other reason, than a chance to start. He won't get that as a Hornet as long as Terry, Devonte, and Melo are playing in Charlotte.

1 hour ago, jayboogieman said:

I don't like that Monk's growing up just happened to have occurred in a contract year. Monk reminds me a little of Tyrus Thomas in the contract year play. I don't think the Hornets will make the same mistake twice because Monk will probably be looking to leave the team anyway, if for no other reason, than a chance to start. He won't get that as a Hornet as long as Terry, Devonte, and Melo are playing in Charlotte.

Malik Monk turned 23 last month.  When he came out he was considered the most athletic player in the draft, the best scorer in the draft, and the best shooter in the draft.  Read that again and then look at some of the guys in that class (Bam, Tatum, Fox, Mitchell, Booker, Collins, Allen).  Monk started showing it last year and it’s continued into this year.  

The NBA is all about upside.  That’s why you draft 19 year olds with lottery picks.  Malik Monk has as much upside as any player in this league, nevermind when comparing him against a Devonte Graham or Cody Zeller.

Lock Malik up to a reasonable deal ($12mil-$14mil/yr) and watch him blossom into a *superstar* paired with LaMelo from age 23-27.  Those are the prime years and why you draft a 19 year old in the lottery to begin with. 

Edited by HardcoreHokie
  • Flames 1