• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A rumor to sink your soul

Verge

The Saints have 2 problems: a) they have to make massive cuts to get under the cap, even before factoring in Wilson's salary and b) they have to offer a huge enough package to convince the Seahawks to agree to a trade when they're drafting at the end of each round. All reports suggest this isn't a Watson scenario; Wilson isn't demanding to be traded and the Seahawks aren't going to be eager to dump him without a tremendous haul. So the only scenario involving the Saints that might make sense would be a HUGE assortment of picks and players. Seahawks aren't going to want just a couple late 1sts. They've already shown a propensity to miss when drafting in the late 20s. 

Bottom line, if the Saints actually pull it off, which seems HIGHLY unlikely, between the cuts they have to make to get under the cap and the picks/players they'll have to give up in a trade, they'll barely look like a full team. I'm not even remotely worried one way or the other.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Panthercougar68 said:

I really can’t see Ciara being a New Orleans type of person.

I think her choice was Chicago.

The Saints appeal was to Wilson himself (i.e. Payton's system and a better O-Line).

Rapoport or somebody laid that all out a few days ago.

From the Seattle Times 4 March...

...if Seattle did want to trade Wilson, his dead salary cap hit of $39 million for the 2021 season if he is traded before June 1 will make it really difficult.

That dead hit is not negotiable as it encompasses what is the rest of the bonus money that has already been paid out to Wilson. On his Seattle contract, that money is spread out over the next three years. But if he’s traded before June 1 — which would be the most logical scenario — then Seattle has to take all of that on its 2021 cap. 

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/qa-what-exactly-does-all-this-talk-about-russell-wilson-being-unhappy-mean-for-the-seahawks/

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth
  • Pie 1

Throw in that Seattle would likely want/need a veteran QB in return who might theoretically be making quite a bit of money, and spending potentially 25-30% or so of the team’s total cap on one position would make it tough to field a competitive team in 2021.

After June 1, the cap hit would be $13 million for each of the next three seasons. But by then, the draft would have been held and just about any significant free agent already spoken for, let alone not having a quarterback in place during the bulk of the offseason program.

Not that any of that is necessarily insurmountable, but it just doesn’t seem likely.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/qa-what-exactly-does-all-this-talk-about-russell-wilson-being-unhappy-mean-for-the-seahawks/

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

If they trade for Wilson, the math to get them under the cap might be something that would make Pythagoras throw up his hands and walk away.

I'm convinced they cast Voodoo magic on the cap every year.