• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Expectations for Vernon Carey, Jr. in the 2nd Half of the Season

Seltzer

Big Vern is tearing up the G-League, which ends this weekend.  The 20-year-old is now averaging 17.4 points and 9.3 rebounds over 26.5 minutes per game this season.  Arguably one of if not the best players in the G League this year, and definitely the best Center, which is obviously the Hornets most glaring need.

How quickly does JB bring him into the rotation?  Bismack is tough to watch at this point (with almost no offense and subpar defense at this point), and you can almost bank on Cody not being available for about 1/3 of your games. 

I'm hoping Big Vern gets playing time as soon as next Thursday against the Pistons.  Even if he is not as good defensively to start out, he will instantly be a boost on the offensive end.

I want to see the Hornets in the playoffs, but Borrego needs to see what both Vernon Carey and Nick Richards can bring over the 2nd Half in terms of how to address the Center position and/or add frontcourt depth.  Both Bismack and Cody are free agents after the season, and it seems unlikely either will be back.

The Hornets are incredibly fun to watch, but we are a dominant center away from being able to compete against the Big 3 in the East (Nets, Sixers, Bucks).  

I'm sure this is what is driving interest in Nikola Vucevic (obviously the Celtics are thinking the same thing).

I personally would rather see the Hornets continue to develop the core this year without giving up assets (everything in the East up to the 4 Seed which would ensure a home playoff game is still obtainable), but Center is the question going forward.

If Big Vern could become a starter-quality center or more, this draft would be an all-time NBA great along with Lamelo.

I'm excited to see what the Hornets do over the 2nd Half.  Mitch Kupchak already should be considered a favorite for GM of the year for Lamelo, and it Big Vern starts to contribute, he should be a lock.

It has been a long, long time since I have been this excited as a Hornets fan.  If we can solve the Center question, the Hornets can truly become a force in the East for the first time in almost 30 years.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

I think we probably should temper expectations for Carey and Richards to make an immediate impact the second half of the season. Both guys are already at a disadvantage not having summer league, a full training camp and constant G League access. The bubble has been huge for them, but given the lack of practice time going forward and general game experience in the NBA, I don't see either supplanting Biz in the rotation. Both should be featured way more next season.

The only path towards eliminating Biz's minutes is by trading for a backup center at the deadline. There are some guys out there that I think could be good and could be had by trading someone like Devonte. We'll see.

Edited by AppHeel

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• PMH4OWPW7JD2TDGWZKTOYL2T3E.jpg

• Topics

• I didn't say it was all on one player and only about winning and losing. But you also want your team to at least have something to build on from losses. Something positive to look back at and say hey we didn't win last week but we had a couple of decent drives to finish the game. Instead of getting your poo pushed in for 4 quarters by a team missing their starting QB. Why do you feel the need to pull our only MVP in franchise history into this? We aren't talking about Cam Newton. Different player different athlete different vibe different everything. That guy went to a Super Bowl with Ted Ginn Jr as his #1 WR. Nobody is expecting Bryce Young to be Cam Newton. But we're certainly expecting him to be more of a leader than someone like Sam Darnold or Teddy Bridgewater who let's be honest were both a couple of milquetoasts. Especially when you consider that Bryce's leadership ability was 1b to the 1a of his processing ability as the key selling points of selecting him first overall. And I'm going to have to vehemently disagree with you trying to draw a correlation between simply asking for our #1 pick to spend more time this offseason building a rapport with his receivers and people basically saying CJ Stroud has a low football IQ or poor leadership or low character because of his father or that he's a diva because he didn't attend Peyton Manning's QB camp or because he went to an event wearing one piece of jewelry around his neck instead of sitting at home doing nothing until draft night. Bryce Young has already been afforded the benefit of the doubt before and following the draft. Certainly moreso than CJ Stroud was. And that is a fact. He is now facing the biggest test of his life as an athlete. I sincerely hope he responds and brings an edge this season. But so far I haven't seen anything to indicate that since finishing with one of the worst rookie seasons of the last few decades he's done much to alter his approach to development that he has operated with since high school and college. Some other QB's who already have the necessary physical traits to overcome other lacking areas might be able to get by without doing that. But unfortunately Bryce Young is already an outlier among outliers. He does not have that built in physical advantage. If he is going to succeed he's really going to have to put in extra work. Yes that involves forms of leadership. That's all I ask. I keep telling you this and explaing it from different angles but you keep trying to circle back to trying to portray me as hating or unfairly placing expectations on him like he's a newborn child and that might work on a social media site speaking on his behalf but it isn't going to matter to any of the defenses he's going to be facing in 17 regular season games next year who already have the majority of a season worth of game tape on him. I feel like I've said all I can. I don't see it necessary to derail this thread any further.
    • I’m thinking Aho gets 2, Jarvis 1 and  Joekel 1 and we win 4 - 0
    • Bakers a gamer...hes a poor mans Favre .... kinda wished he'd of worked out here...it woulda made things easier...but one thing...he can make all the throws.