• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brandt needs to give more on QB prospects

top dawg

Other than a general ranking of the top QB prospects, Gil Brandt hasn't said anything. 

I do find it interesting that like Greg Cosell, he seems to favor Lance a little bit over Justin Fields. Moreover, and also very interesting, he compared Zach Wilson to Tony Romo. 

You never know what Rhule e and company are thinking, but I respect Brandt and Cosell. I can see Rhule being on one accord with them in reference to his thinking (although I believe he has a little stag in him). I'm starting to believe that Wilson may be that deal. Who would pass up on a Romo in this year's draft? But 209 at 6'3", with past shoulder and thumb injuries, makes me believe the kid needs get in the weight room. Romo was physically solid!

No Romo.

I have the gut feeling that we are going to take Mac Jones when all the dust settles, and I (one of the few) would be OK with that, but I would say that the odds Mac Jones is the QB in 2021 are not overwhelming.  A lot could happen---Mariota, for example.  A trade for Minshew.  Trubiski.  Fields could fall.  Lance could be sitting there. They could decide to trade back, build the team, and acquire a first rounder in 2022.  If we go Jones,  I think the Huddle will implode when that happens.

I also think free agency is where we will get some hints.  If Watson is still a Texan, and we do not spend much, are we holding onto hope there?  If we spend a few coins on the OL, are we doing so to protect an immobile rookie QB?  What would we do if Jones and Lance are on the table--a proven winner with a quick mind and limited skills or a good, athletic QB who never threw a pick in college?  

• Pie 3

4 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

That’s why I think we should go Watson or stay at 8 and take best available. I don’t like any of the qbs except TL and I know we aren’t getting him. I’m not trading up for none of them, I rather just roll with Fitzmagic. 

I see this.  I think (if you are in the "5 QBs" camp), a QB there is very likely.  I still would not rule out a Darnold, Carr, Minshew, Trubiski, etc. gamble.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

Just now, MHS831 said:

No Romo.

I have the gut feeling that we are going to take Mac Jones when all the dust settles, and I (one of the few) would be OK with that, but I would say that the odds Mac Jones is the QB in 2021 are not overwhelming.  A lot could happen---Mariota, for example.  A trade for Minshew.  Trubiski.  Fields could fall.  Lance could be sitting there. They could decide to trade back, build the team, and acquire a first rounder in 2022.  If we go Jones,  I think the Huddle will implode when that happens.

I also think free agency is where we will get some hints.  If Watson is still a Texan, and we do not spend much, are we holding onto hope there?  If we spend a few coins on the OL, are we doing so to protect an immobile rookie QB?  What would we do if Jones and Lance are on the table--a proven winner with a quick mind and limited skills or a good, athletic QB who never threw a pick in college?  

Jones no way

i feel sick abc GIF by The Bachelor

• Pie 3
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, BurnNChinn said:

Jones no way

i feel sick abc GIF by The Bachelor

Be specific.  He is not a running back.  He is a pocket passer who can process better than any other QB in this draft---so tell me how you know as much as you do about QBs--I mean, 77.4% passing completions without Wadell most of the season, 42 TDs vs. 4 ints, and a 350 yard per game average--in the Bama Offense.  Those are numbers better than the field.

But he can't run the speed option?  CMC will be right beside him.  Add a TE, and build the OL's left side.  To steal a line from Apollo Creed in Rocky 1, one of my favorite movie characters ever, "Be a thinker, not a stinker."

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

Carr isn’t going anywhere, maybe Mariota.

You make a lot of statements as facts without support. Both have been rumored at different times. Yes, the Raiders are likely to keep Carr, but there is debate about that.  Here is an example of supporting a position:  https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2930700-las-vegas-raiders-should-commit-to-marcus-mariota-trade-derek-carr-in-2021

4 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Be specific.  He is not a running back.  He is a pocket passer who can process better than any other QB in this draft---so tell me how you know as much as you do about QBs--I mean, 77.4% passing completions without Wadell most of the season, 42 TDs vs. 4 ints, and a 350 yard per game average--in the Bama Offense.  Those are numbers better than the field.

But he can't run the speed option?  CMC will be right beside him.  Add a TE, and build the OL's left side.  To steal a line from Apollo Creed in Rocky 1, one of my favorite movie characters ever, "Be a thinker, not a stinker."

Sometimes it's easier to build an o-line for a traditional pocket passer than it is to build one for a hyper-mobile QB. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Yeah ok like a lot of people have said he benefited from probably best oline in the nation, probably best rb, then best we, and I could probably keep going on. He does not fit this team/system, we need a qb that can move around pocket and run if line breaks down. Sorry but MAC JONES is not it and by Tepper/Rhule’s press conference he is exact opposite what we are wanting.