• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brandt needs to give more on QB prospects

top dawg

I don't want to spend a first round pick on a QB with average arm strength.  His lack of athleticism is also somewhat concerning.   A lot of people bring up Brady, but Brady is otherworldly in other ways...

Eh, if Rhule thinks he is worth it I'll be happy with him.

• Pie 2

44 minutes ago, Woodie said:

Really?  Go find me some examples.  Show a pattern, then I will acknowledge you are right.

The thing is, I watched most of Alabama's games this year, and no, receivers typically didn't have to wait on the ball.  Jones' ball placement, even on deep balls, was stellar.

This is a typical Jones deep ball. Recover is wide open and leaving down the field. Has to slow down and track back inside to get a ball underthrown and missed wide. Only complete because the guy was wide open. 

• Pie 1

25 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

I don't want to spend a first round pick on a QB with average arm strength.  His lack of athleticism is also somewhat concerning.   A lot of people bring up Brady, but Brady is otherworldly in other ways...

This is an extremely fair take.  There is a lot to like about him, but he's definitely not a sure thing as a franchise QB.  

37 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Brady's arm at 40+ is still stronger than Mac Jones' at 22. Brady doesn't ha e a great arm like a Favre or Mahomes or aRodgers or prime Cam, but his arm was always decent to good.

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This is a typical Jones deep ball. Recover is wide open and leaving down the field. Has to slow down and track back inside to get a ball underthrown and missed wide. Only complete because the guy was wide open. 

Ok, so the one play you can come up with is a pass with 43 air yards where he wasn't able to step into the throw and was underthrown by maybe 1-2 yards causing only a slight adjustment by the WR.  Ok then.  I'll give you that you are technically correct, the receiver did have to slow up...although he didn't have to stop and wait, just make a slight adjustment.

But where are the others?  Every single QB in the history of the game has had the occasional pass that was underthrown...even those with a cannon have been known to make their receivers slow up from time to time.  But for the truly weak armed QB's, there are multiple examples of them not being able to consistently throw deep accurately.  So where are the multiple of other plays that should be easily found if he truly does have a weak arm.

Where are the throws that show he just can't get the ball to the receiver deep without making the receiver slow up and wait.  You like to compare him to Bridgewater as an insult to him and a slight to anyone that thinks he can be a decent QB, but Bridgewater couldn't make that throw if his life depended on it.  

14 minutes ago, Woodie said:

Ok, so the one play you can come up with is a pass with 43 air yards where he wasn't able to step into the throw and was underthrown by maybe 1-2 yards causing only a slight adjustment by the WR.  Ok then.  I'll give you that you are technically correct, the receiver did have to slow up...although he didn't have to stop and wait, just make a slight adjustment.

But where are the others?  Every single QB in the history of the game has had the occasional pass that was underthrown...even those with a cannon have been known to make their receivers slow up from time to time.  But for the truly weak armed QB's, there are multiple examples of them not being able to consistently throw deep accurately.  So where are the multiple of other plays that should be easily found if he truly does have a weak arm.

Where are the throws that show he just can't get the ball to the receiver deep without making the receiver slow up and wait.  You like to compare him to Bridgewater as an insult to him and a slight to anyone that thinks he can be a decent QB, but Bridgewater couldn't make that throw if his life depended on it.  

LOL! It's not like underthrows typically make highlight reels my man. Just go watch a Bama game. They're there. You asked for an example. I googled "Devonta Smith deep" and clicked on the third link on Google because it was under a minute. Then came the whataboutisms.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This does remind me of some of Bridgewater's deeper passes.... like this one, where Moore has to slow down:

That ball travelled >45 yards in the air too... but tbf that may be his nicest deep pass all season lol.

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

I'd honestly be more than ok with any of of those four. Hopefully one of them is there by 8.

Mac Jones though.....not there. Late first or early second. Not an ideal choice, imo. We'd be settling.

This. I don't hate Mac Jones. I just hate any thought of Mac Jones in the three quarters of the 1st round. He just has way too many physical question marks. I think he's probably an NFL backup.

Honestly, I kinda doubt we're interested. Rhule has talked a lot about guys who can make all the throws, etc. Jones is going to be a limited NFL thrower and I don't think we want that.

• Pie 4

This. I don't hate Mac Jones. I just hate any thought of Mac Jones in the three quarters of the 1st round. He just has way too many physical question marks. I think he's probably an NFL backup.

Honestly, I kinda doubt we're interested. Rhule has talked a lot about guys who can make all the throws, etc. Jones is going to be a limited NFL thrower and I don't think we want that.

Yeah I could see him a Panther... if he's there in a later round.

What physical question marks does he have, in your opinion?

1 minute ago, pantherclaw said:

What physical question marks does he have, in your opinion?

Subpar arm strength. Subpar athleticism. Then mentally, he's shown very little ability to go through a progression.

He's basically shown he can succeed when his teammates are far superior to the opposition and he can throw to a wide open first read. That's just the honest truth. 

• Pie 1