• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Teddy Bridgewater likely on the outs in Carolina

Verge

48 minutes ago, joemac said:

Well a big reason is because we don’t have another QB on the roster to take his place. Say we trade Teddy tomorrow. Then we never get Watson, and then every good QB is taken ahead of us. Then what? 

Its not like we have anything with Teddy, we can throw whatever we can find out there, cant be much worse than Teddy.

• Beer 2

6 hours ago, KSpan said:

I'd rather take a shot on the unknown then have a guaranteed ceiling on another boring, likely painful, season simply to have a known quantity. I'm not an NFL player of course but during my many years playing sports it was frustrating to watch the same.players make the same mistakes over and over again.

Its easy as fans in March to say wed be fine with Grier or something worse, hoping we will tank our way to a QB.

Asking a bunch of professionals to do so? Not so easy.

Hell, it's easy to say it as fans in March and much harder in August haha.

• Beer 1

7 hours ago, joemac said:

Well a big reason is because we don’t have another QB on the roster to take his place. Say we trade Teddy tomorrow. Then we never get Watson, and then every good QB is taken ahead of us. Then what? 

Just start Walker.  He owned Detroit Lions, so that’s something going for him.  Keeping Teddy when we are offered mid round picks is throwing good money after bad.

3 hours ago, mav1234 said:

Its easy as fans in March to say wed be fine with Grier or something worse, hoping we will tank our way to a QB.

Asking a bunch of professionals to do so? Not so easy.

Hell, it's easy to say it as fans in March and much harder in August haha.

That's why I added my final sentences there - I get it. However, I'm sure they want to win also and while they support teammates if something isn't working they want to see it corrected as well.

• Pie 1

13 hours ago, Runcmc said:

The defense wasn’t the one checking down 

Oh sure they did, on almost every third down. Do you know how many games we had last season where our opponents never punted? And how many of those games were decided by a single score?

Give me four punts to sprinkle among those games and we come out with a winning record. 

Then we'd be talking about making the short passing game work for us and how we got a better season than we expected. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

18 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Oh sure they did, on almost every third down. Do you know how many games we had last season where our opponents never punted? And how many of those games were decided by a single score?

Give me four punts to sprinkle among those games and we come out with a winning record. 

Then we'd be talking about making the short passing game work for us and how we got a better season than we expected. 

You're not wrong, but we need more out of a QB than a 2 yard throw on 4th and 9.  Teddy would have been fine if our D did play better, but we'd run into the hump that Teddy could never have pushed us over.  Teddy is a great dude, a middling QB, and he's not a guy who will elevate your team to greatness.  He needs a coach and the rest of the team to do that for him.  

Maybe SF would be a great place for him with a super QB friendly scheme that will utilize his smarts, and a OL and running game to take some pressure off of him on early downs.  Now if only we could get them to give us all of their mid round picks...

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

21 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

It makes sense what you are saying, it just looked like Teddy doesn’t have what it takes when the game is on the line. He had several opportunities this past year to produce a game winning drive and looked jumpy and nervous. Checking down on 4th, fleeing the pocket too early, not even looking at Moore (who is our 1) wide open, throwing into double coverage. Back when he was winning with the Vikings and Saints, he had elite defenses and didn’t did many of any game winning drives. We also ran the same offense he had in NO, so he should have been the most familiar with it.

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

55 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

go away gtfo GIF

• Poo 1

50 minutes ago, d-dave said:

You're not wrong, but we need more out of a QB than a 2 yard throw on 4th and 9.  Teddy would have been fine if our D did play better, but we'd run into the hump that Teddy could never have pushed us over.  Teddy is a great dude, a middling QB, and he's not a guy who will elevate your team to greatness.  He needs a coach and the rest of the team to do that for him.  

Maybe SF would be a great place for him with a super QB friendly scheme that will utilize his smarts, and a OL and running game to take some pressure off of him on early downs.  Now if only we could get them to give us all of their mid round picks...

You're right on this - BUT, its understandable that the D would struggle as it was made up of a ton of rookies, and they definitely showed a lot of improvement as the season went on.  I expect very good things out of the D this year as our young pups continue to grow.  If they can manage to keep this core group around for the next couple years they are going to turn into a juggernaut.

• Pie 1

The way I had a coach explain this to me in college and I never forgot it:

There are usually about 3-4 plays in every game that determine who is going to win.  When we watch film, we are going to identify those plays for you.  I want you to watch yourself on those plays.  Did you do your job?  What else could you have done?  Were you at 100% when the whistle blew?  etc.

So every play (in the back of your head) might have been the play that the coach was going to spend 20 minutes on in the film room.  And it was not the last play of the game--most games were won or lost much earlier because they changes everything you did after that.  So when I watch Bridgewater, I look for the plays that could have changed the game.  Throwing the check down on third and 13 with :32 seconds to go in the half when you are at mid field...Getting a delay penalty or having to use a TO when the defense was on the ropes...etc.

But the main thing about Teddy---where was the fire?  Who did he elevate in the huddle and after the play?  I just saw Teddy being Teddy.  Little things matter. 

Jake Delhomme?  He made everyone better, and his abilities were limited.

Cam Newton?  People would see him dive into the endzone or run over a LB on third and 3

Teddy?  If he were the grand Marshall in a parade, the parade would not end with Santa--it would end with a punter.

• Pie 3
  • Flames 2

4 minutes ago, joemac said:

You're right on this - BUT, its understandable that the D would struggle as it was made up of a ton of rookies, and they definitely showed a lot of improvement as the season went on.  I expect very good things out of the D this year as our young pups continue to grow.  If they can manage to keep this core group around for the next couple years they are going to turn into a juggernaut.

Indeed!  I feel really good about our young guys on D!  They did make some big time headway along with Snow.

It still doesn't change things with Teddy.  He's a good dude, a functional QB, but he's not the guy to carry you to a Lombardi.  You need that guy in today's NFL.

You all did hear that Jake Delhomme and Steve Beuerlein think Teddy should stay.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article249694333.html

Now, you have to take into consideration that both were backups given a starting job here, so they are bringing it from that perspective.