• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Teddy Bridgewater likely on the outs in Carolina

Verge

Just now, 45catfan said:

I mean, considering the CBS dude said they would give us their #9 pick, that's not nearly as ridiculous.

Which shows exactly the level of ignorance of many of the “experts/insiders” that get referenced on here daily. If TB was anywhere near worth a top 10 pick, the Panthers wouldn’t be trying to trade him. Unless they pay most of his contract, they aren’t getting anything for a player that will be cut. No team is going to give picks to pay him 8M or 18M. 

• Flames 1

32 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Which shows exactly the level of ignorance of many of the “experts/insiders” that get referenced on here daily. If TB was anywhere near worth a top 10 pick, the Panthers wouldn’t be trying to trade him. Unless they pay most of his contract, they aren’t getting anything for a player that will be cut. No team is going to give picks to pay him 8M or 18M. 

Bingo.

Teams don't start the effort to move a player by allowing the player and his representation to seek out a trade...

...that option is only exercised when all other avenues were dead-ends.

There is only 2-options left for the Panthers:

1.  Pay the man in-full and keep him.

2.  Pay the man in-full and cut him.

Option #1 is the best option as it goes to optimizing the win-loss record in 2021.

2 hours ago, therealmjl said:

Wow

Lol what? No chance in Gods Green Earth would ANYBODY trade us a first round pick for Teddy. Much less a top 10 pick.

Although how incredible would it be to have back to back picks in the top 10. We would be so set up for success it’s ridiculous.

OK, let's play along.  Conspiracy theory #1:

Denver sends Carolina their first rounder in exchange for Carolina's second and third rounders and Teddy.  THAT is why Fitterer wanted all three picks this year.

Conspiracy theory #2:

Denver sends Carolina a day 3 pick this year (sixth-they have 9 picks) and a day 2 pick next year (second round) for Teddy.  That means Carolina saves money vs the cap and Darnold's net cost is a 2022 fourth rounder.

Conspiracy theory #3 (A DOOZY):

Denver has a huge need at RT.  Moton wants big money, and there are no signs that talks are seriously in progress.  TRADE: Moton and Bridgewater for the #9 overall pick.

15 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Bingo.

Teams don't start the effort to move a player by allowing the player and his representation to seek out a trade...

Option #1 is the best option as it goes to optimizing the win-loss record in 2021.

Option 2 is the only likelihood. There is no way the staff and the front office want that awkwardness looming over the '21 season and if they have to cut their losses that is what will happen. It would seem the only fans who want him to stay are the same ones who were so heavily vested in him being the heir apparent to the former quarterback they detested for a decade. The Panthers swung for the fences and they missed spectacularly. Get over it.

30 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Bingo.

Lmao your so wrong!

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

I mean, considering the CBS dude said they would give us their #9 pick, that's not nearly as ridiculous.

It wasnt the CBS dude Lacanfora that said it.  Its a poorly worded article and its just the writer speculating based on Fowlers and jasons article about teddy and Denver.    Its basically trash click bait at its finest

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

It wasnt the CBS dude Lacanfora that said it.  Its a poorly worded article and its just the writer speculating based on Fowlers and jasons article about teddy and Denver.    Its basically trash click bait at its finest

The problem with that is writers "journalists" get by with such nonsense now and people usually don't bat an eye.  I ReAdZ iT oN ThA InTeRNeT!  Trash like this article is everywhere nowadays and it is hardly confined to sports writers.  Why?  Absolutely zero accountability for he content they put out there no matter how ludicrous, false and potentially damaging it is.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

The problem with that is writers "journalists" get by with such nonsense now and people usually don't bat an eye.  I ReAdZ iT oN ThA InTeRNeT!  Trash like this article is everywhere nowadays and it is hardly confined to sports writers.  Why?  Absolutely zero accountability for he content they put out there no matter how ludicrous, false and potentially damaging it is.

I agree, I am just pointing out that Jason LaCanfora didnt put that info forward.  JL is one of the best, most respected and connected guys out there.   I really enjoy his stuff.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

So WE would facilitate the move to sweeten the deal for them to take Teddy plus get picks.  I could go for that.  I was looking at it from Denver's perspective.  It's roughly 50 points which is an end of round 4 value.  They won't give their fouth pick so it would have to be round 5 and one of their three 7th rounders.  We still lose out on some value, BUT would accomplished two things: it gets Teddy out of Carolina and we recoup a couple picks this year that we lose out on in next years draft.  Granted these are later round selections, but in terms of net picks, we would only be on the hook for Darnold's 2nd in terms of real value.

Yep, just depends on if DEN would actually want to do it.  Because then they're making a move for their bridge QB and future QB in one move.  Probs unlikely

46 minutes ago, frankw said:

Option 2 is the only likelihood. There is no way the staff and the front office want that awkwardness looming over the '21 season...

I disagree.

It's just not the big deal so many are making it out to be.

These are grown men who are professionals in a big-boy league --- it's not the petty whiney bitch league.

EDIT:  I'm not saying TB5 will be here for sure, but it is definitely in the set of possible outcomes.

Edited by SizzleBuzz
  • Poo 1

31 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

I disagree.

It's just not the big deal so many are making it out to be.

These are grown men who are professionals in a big-boy league --- it's not the petty whiney bitch league.

EDIT:  I'm not saying TB5 will be here for sure, but it is definitely in the set of possible outcomes.

I daresay that Teddy has no place on the current roster, particularly since the Darnold trade. Darnold needs to play for evaluation purposes, and if Darnold gets hurt then the team would seemingly benefit more from evaluating the backups (I'm assuming Walker and Grier) for the future.  Might be different if the team had a rookie but at this point Teddy is a known-quantity expensive backup whom the team has already signaled has no future in Carolina and who would be taking snaps from players whom the team would be better off seeing on the field.

That said, maybe the team will prioritize the potential 0.1-0.4 win % that backup Teddy could represent over the odds the other guys in that backup role might bring. I don't agree with that but is is a possibility and IMO the scenario where keeping him makes any real type of sense.

Edited by KSpan

1 hour ago, KSpan said:

I daresay that Teddy has no place on the current roster, particularly since the Darnold trade.

Darnold needs to play for evaluation purposes, and if Darnold gets hurt then the team would seemingly benefit more from evaluating the backups (I'm assuming Walker and Grier) for the future. 

America is a wonderful place where everyone is entitled to an opinion, even you.

Jake Delhomme and Steve Beuerlein are on the other side of your trade.

Darnold will get his reps, keeping TB5 on the roster will have zero effect there. 

On the flipside, Darnold could learn a lot from Teddy and having the steadying influence of such a even-keeled and competent veteran can only help Sam -- win/win.

Grier & Walker have been fully "evaluated", nothing new to be learned about them...short-timers.

image.thumb.png.6b8784a5ce0ec8985d065ec9943c375f.png

Edited by SizzleBuzz