• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Justin Fields: Closer Look/Why I think he could be the guy

davos

7 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Don't get me wrong, I like him, but how many stud college QBs from the SEC do we see crash and burn in the NFL?  So using their stats is fool's gold, to some degree, but it is all we have to go on. I prefer someone who can break down the position and see what he does well and does not do well---and that video (all we have, really) is a bit (as stated) "Sobering" at times.  You get excited at first, but then you get a bit concerned. Can Fields be coached up?  Probably.  But these QBs are so risky this year.

He was in the Big Ten and I wasn’t using his stats. Also, I think his instances of holding the ball too long don’t have a true parallel to Cam IMO. Cam had a tendency to have his biggest hits on runs and when Bell and Remmers were flopping all over the place.

I actually think this is one of the more sound drafts at QB than most. Last year? Just Burrow; people did NOT trust Herbert or Tua. Heck, look down the line. They’re all mad risky and Fields just checks so many boxes.

8 minutes ago, davos said:

He was in the Big Ten and I wasn’t using his stats. Also, I think his instances of holding the ball too long don’t have a true parallel to Cam IMO. Cam had a tendency to have his biggest hits on runs and when Bell and Remmers were flopping all over the place.

I actually think this is one of the more sound drafts at QB than most. Last year? Just Burrow; people did NOT trust Herbert or Tua. Heck, look down the line. They’re all mad risky and Fields just checks so many boxes.

You are right--I was referring to another post (and others about stats--and I have done it as well) and was going to compare him to Big 10 QBs-not sure why I went SEC--I was thinking, Big 10, SEC--not as many QBs in the NFL as one might expect--In the Big 10, Cousins and a bunch of old guys--SEC?  No better. ACC?  Bingo.  That is where they are coming from--but I abandoned that point because it was off topic-how my brain works.

I was against Fields--wanted Wilson or Lance--(non Big 10, SEC) but I have been high on Jones.  This video states one thing that is important for all QBs, but especially for Fields:

He has to be in the right system--they have to design a system to accentuate his talents.  Damn he reminds me of a smaller Cam.

Very good thread, btw.  I love these analytical pieces--better than "Jones sucks because I said so" threads.  Makes me go back, watch more YouTube, read more about him, and try to reframe my picture of him.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

38 minutes ago, Jared Patterson said:

Would next years first, third and this years fifth do it for the Dolphins?

Dude that is way too much.  The Dolphins will still get the same player at 8 that they would at 3 so I wouldnt go crazy.  I would wait to see what the jets do and then go from there. 

We need to keep every pick in this draft.  If the fins will not do it for next years 1rst then so be it.  Like I said they still will get one of the top 2 wr's at 8

Edited by mrcompletely11

Easily my favorite QB option for us at this point. I like Wilson and Lance too, but I honestly do believe that as prospects Fields is closer to the Lawrence tier than the Wilson/Lance tier. This guy is going to be an absolute stud. People want Watson, but this guy could essentially be Watson on a rookie deal for us and costing much less. I hope we make it happen, even if we likely have to trade up to 2/3 to get him.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, t96 said:

Easily my favorite QB option for us at this point. I like Wilson and Lance too, but I honestly do believe that as prospects Fields is closer to the Lawrence tier than the Wilson/Lance tier. This guy is going to be an absolute stud. People want Watson, but this guy could essentially be Watson on a rookie deal for us and costing much less. I hope we make it happen, even if we likely have to trade up to 2/3 to get him.

Two teams scare me about taking him before us:  Atlanta and Detroit.  Of course, there is always the trade up, and if I am sitting there in the top 5 and I do NOT need a QB, I am selling.

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, DFive said:

I’ve been banging the gong for Fields for awhile. Great post and analysis @davosI’d love to see a new QB1 in CAR. 

Don’t forget, you can watch Justin Field’s HS career on the Netflix documentary, QB1. He was clearly head and shoulders above the others on his season and it really shows his leadership. 

He’s 1 of 2 QBs during the entire shows history that didn’t seem like a selfish entitled prick. 

• Flames 1
  • Poo 1

5 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I've seen a couple of QB experts tear his technique to shreds - he's a guy that really worries me.

Would love some links.  I've seen the contrary, especially in respect to his upper body mechanics he does very well.  His downfield anticipation is a bit better than Cam's or Josh Allen's coming out. 

The critiques I see seem to by his reads progression (and his head does get a little robotic/jitterry scanning the field) but he still stands in the pocket with confidence.  He just will choose a more aggressive/difficult option at times when that first read isn't there. 

This was a random mechanics vid I saw shared here some time ago and it stuck with me:

20 minutes ago, davos said:

Would love some links.  I've seen the contrary, especially in respect to his upper body mechanics he does very well.  His downfield anticipation is a bit better than Cam's or Josh Allen's coming out. 

The critiques I see seem to by his reads progression (and his head does get a little robotic/jitterry scanning the field) but he still stands in the pocket with confidence.  He just will choose a more aggressive/difficult option at times when that first read isn't there. 

This was a random mechanics vid I saw shared here some time ago and it stuck with me:

Well here's one for you right away (50 mins in): 

Edited by OldhamA