• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Richard Sherman thinks Mac Jones criticized unfairly

panthers55

2 hours ago, d-dave said:

I don't think about Lawrence at all.  He's going to go #1 so he's not on my radar.  Clemson did give us Watson so...tacos?

Realistically, when was the last time an Alabama QB had a high level, top 10 QB career in the NFL?  I've been a fan of football for a bit, and it's kind of hard to think about.  The 60s?  Stabler and Namth?  

I'm just a fan, not an evaluator.  When I look at Mac Jones to the NFL, I don't want him because Alabama QBs have no had the kind of success we need to have for our next QB.

This is why I don't want Justin Fields. The Ohio State track record for producing quality QB's for the past 50 years is worse than Alabama's.

I sincerely hoping Fields is picked by the Jets at #2 so we won't even be tempted to move up and grab him early.

Edited by SCO96
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

This is why I don't want Justin Fields. The Ohio State track record for producing quality QB's for the past 50 years is worse than Alabama's.

I sincerely hoping Fields is picked by the Jets at #2 so we won't even be tempted to move up and grab him early.

I get we all do that, but in reality, other coaches and teams have nothing to do with new ones.    Would be like saying you can't trust a Dabo/Clemson QB because a Tommy Bowden player never did squat in the NFL at QB. 

Justin Fields is the first QB at Ohio St that legitimately is only part of the Ryan Day Buckeye's.    And Field's looks different than the Urban Meyer guys.    

• Pie 1

52 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Brees has never had a cannon of an arm. Neither has Brady. Neither did Montana. 

Neither did the massive list of other really good physically limited college QBs who busted. There are always going to be some exceptions. Kinda like how Norman became an elite NFL CB despite running a 4.66. But that's also why he was a 5th round pick. 

I'm not completely opposed to Mac Jones. I'm just completely opposed to Mac Jones in the top 25 or so.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Aquemini said:

Mac Jones, like Alabama QB's usually do, had an all-star team around him. When the talent discrepancy is not as wide in the NFL, Jones will look like Clausen

I wouldn't go that far.  Mac at least looked good in college.  Clausen always felt like some fake creation.   He never looked up to the billing at any stage. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

22 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Neither did the massive list of other really good physically limited college QBs who busted. There are always going to be some exceptions. Kinda like how Norman became an elite NFL CB despite running a 4.66. But that's also why he was a 5th round pick. 

I'm not completely opposed to Mac Jones. I'm just completely opposed to Mac Jones in the top 25 or so.

Just as I'm not really Mac Jones or bust. 

I just feel the distrust and hate he receives, despite not just the pro scouts, but others all around the league talking him up. 

You're right, he can bust. So can every QB drafted before him. 

Edited by pantherclaw

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

The same with Jones. They compare actually favorably and some folks think New Orleans may move up if they can't land Wilson.

https://rolltidewire.usatoday.com/2021/03/07/2021-nfl-mock-draft-which-team-makes-a-bold-move-for-mac-jones/

I actually agree, the more I watch Jones, the more I'm impressed by his pocket movement and awareness.  However the issue I have is you just didn't see him do it a lot when the pocket was collapsing as fast as it will in the NFL, even behind a good OL.  So you are projecting a bit on if his internal clock will remain as good.

I think he'd be a good pick for the Saints.  They have a great OL and if Jones has to play early, he'll need it.  

Honestly the more I watch the more I get what people see in him.  But I still think his path to success is just a lot narrower than other guys, and that is what I have a big problem with about him.

22 minutes ago, CRA said:

I wouldn't go that far.  Mac at least looked good in college.  Clausen always felt like some fake creation.   He never looked up to the billing at any stage. 

Yeah I never understood why there was 1st round talk around him (and explains why he fell out of the 1st).  He was so physically limited and really all he did was throw the ball to 2 baller receivers in Floyd and Tate.  The guy had the lowest of low ceilings.  I don't think it was ever an issue of him not working hard or him not understanding the game.  He was just baaaaaaaaad and skittish.  Mac Jones if he works out will at least be a solid starting QB.  

Edited by Mage

1 hour ago, SCO96 said:

Name a school known for producing QBs lately?  Louisville?  NC State?  Oklahoma?  Florida State?  It is really hard to find one. I would have said the same about Herbert last year (Oregon--been a few years since Fouts played). 

• Beer 1