• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Weatherly Admits to Getting “Complacent” After Signing with Carolina

DFive

3 hours ago, musicman said:

i don't think that's on Hurney. I got it as he showed promise and you give him some money and he gets fat  and lazy and he admits it. We can say that with all pros we've given nice contracts too. It's like every player who does great in his "contract year" and then tanks or levels off. 

Don’t know....it’s be a very weird correlation between contracts Hurney gives out and hell even players he drafts that all of sudden become complacent and siphon the team for money, reward money, injury money, and farewell money, I was going to list examples but that’s take a while...

Thats per of the evaluation process though, and the GM is he person doing the evaluating. The Patriots, who dominated Super Bowls in the last 20 years for example cut ties very quickly, don’t give players injury and reward contracts, they’re the anti-Hurney in every sense.

Sure it’s not perfect, but it’s on the GM evaluation abilities when players constantly get paid, or injured, or go pas their prime...then all of a sudden DGAF.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Our old friend Stanley McClover is.. unimpressed.

Yeah, I just don't think he's very good. He's a rotational depth piece. I mean, he had six career sacks in a primarily rotational depth role when Marty Hurney decided it was a good idea to give him a 2 year $12.5M contract. 

• Beer 1

6 hours ago, hepcat said:

What’s to stop him from getting complacent with the Vikings now? I wouldn’t want this dude on my team

5 hours ago, Manna said:

Nobody's immune to complacency. He's blessed to have another shot in the NFL. 

Exactly to the second quote. I know people want to look at these guys as super heroes lol, but they're people.

I don't truthfully know anyone that gives 100% at their job year in and year out every single day....especially when you relate it to sports where it was pretty clear we weren't going to reach our ultimate goal of a Super Bowl let alone the playoffs.

Is it right? No.  Is it human? Yes.

The only difference between him and 75% of those guys is he actually said it.

39 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, I just don't think he's very good. He's a rotational depth piece. I mean, he had six career sacks in a primarily rotational depth role when Marty Hurney decided it was a good idea to give him a 2 year $12.5M contract. 

At the time the panthers were 39th in rush defense, giving up a NFL record 5.9 yards per. Weatherly was a great run defender, he was rated in the top ten if I remember right. Plus it was Burns and ??????? at DE(unless Haynes is worthy). I bet if given the chance to void the deal they would have thought long and hard after YGM fell to them in the 2nd. I believe if YGM was in this years draft, no question 1st, maybe top 16 pick given this weak class. When it was said he didnt want to keep playing after his finger injury, done I was...

Edited by Basbear
  • Pie 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Our old friend Stanley McClover is.. unimpressed.

Burns said plenty times - "Hes weird..." 

Seems its wasnt just bustin balls and there was a issue in the locker room. Maybe he was trying to turn the DE group into pot heads..

I get it.  I'm at the same place right now.  New COO started.  He's clearly got a mandate from on high to cut costs.  Multiple non-communicated mini-layoffs have happened.  Managing Directors that were here for 15-20 years had to re-interview for their jobs with the COO so he could decide if they're worthy (Some said F that and left).  Moral is super low and people are leaving without being replaced  (do the same with less). 

I know what I'm capable of, but have lost the spark here.  So...I have an interview lined up for Thursday that I'm really looking forward to.  Even thinking about the possibility has given me a new spark.

All that to say, I get it.

BUT!!!!  You don't say this publicly especially on social media!  Glad he intrinsically discovered this and is self-aware, but still...