• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Former QB's support Teddy..this week's pro days..from the Observer

ladypanther

54 minutes ago, Icege said:

There is so much irrational hate for Teddy here (to the point that folks are now trying to change the narrative surrounding Delhomme), I forget that we have quality posters.

Teddy has always been a game manager that relies on his pre-snap reads and quick release. Did he show that he could be the guy last season? Hell no. His contract is literally set up to allow the team to build the offense for a young QB to be comfortable in while allowing them an easy out for the third year. It's remarkable, however, how many of the same posters that harped on Teddy needing pieces around him seem to ignore how the best player on the offense was gone most of the season along with the blindside protector. Some of the same fans that believe QB trumps everything will also follow it up by saying that the LT is the 2nd most important position on the offense. So now the offense is missing it's best player and 2nd best position for a majority of the season? Throw in an ineffective TE group and Chris Reed literally hydroplaning into nobody at LG? Oof.

Personally, I like the idea of staying at #8 and waiting to see how the board falls. The team is in a position where they don't have to move up despite some of the chicken littles here saying otherwise (I'll never let folks live down that whole "We can't get a pass rusher at #16!!" only for Brian Burns to be chilling there). If one of the top 4 QBs are available, take em. Do the due diligence on seeing if there is a trade option (which they're doing) to upgrade the position. If the team can't find an answer this season and Teddy looks the same if not worse, then turn over every stone next season and find one.

The only reason we got Burns is Dan Snyder is an egotistical owner who thinks he knows football better than his football guys. He picked Haskins. Pretty obvious their GM would have taken Burns because their next pick was Sweat. 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

The only reason we got Burns is Dan Snyder is an egotistical owner who thinks he knows football better than his football guys. He picked Haskins. Pretty obvious their GM would have taken Burns because their next pick was Sweat. 

Do you not recall how many people had Haskins rated over Jones and the beating Gettleman took for taking Jones instead?

22 minutes ago, frankw said:

Mahomes threw 38 touchdowns behind that offensive line last year. Bridgewater threw for a career high 15 touchdowns by comparison.

I certainly understand the sentiment and that we need to work on our line but let's be reasonable here please.

In the SB most of the starting KC oline was injured...they were playing backups.  A good oline does matter...and I am not saying it to defend Teddy...except maybe just a little.  Agree he is not the future.

Our oline is not good they are average to below average at times. But you have to put things into context. When the games were on the line Teddy had the opportunities where the oline held up and he would either check down in absolutely mind numbingly stupid situations or he would throw picks. He didn’t even give our receivers chances when he needed to. That’s where all the hate comes in. It was so terrible to watch and I can’t even believe this is debatable at this point.

FWIW there is a former football player/radio host claiming the 49ers have offered Fitterer their 3rd, 4th, 5th round picks for TB. 

If that trade gets him off our books AND nets us three picks I would absolutely do it....make sure you get your guy in the draft and sign a veteran free agent to a more team friendly deal. 

• Pie 2

16 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

In the SB most of the starting KC oline was injured...they were playing backups.  A good oline does matter...and I am not saying it to defend Teddy...except maybe just a little.  Agree he is not the future.

Apologies if it seemed I was piling on. I am in complete agreement with you that building up the offensive line should be a atop the pecking order in importance moving forward.

However I do feel we can certainly reach a middle ground between the paltry number of touchdowns last year and a generational talent such as Mahomes. It will require patience however which is something that is in short supply in an increasingly instant gratification society. But the Panthers must still exhaust all resources at their disposal trying to locate the quarterback who can get us there.

20 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

FWIW there is a former football player/radio host claiming the 49ers have offered Fitterer their 3rd, 4th, 5th round picks for TB. 

If that trade gets him off our books AND nets us three picks I would absolutely do it....make sure you get your guy in the draft and sign a veteran free agent to a more team friendly deal. 

I call BS. I'd take that deal even if we end up rolling with PJ in 2021.

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, ladypanther said:

Going to link 2 articles from today Observer.  The 1st mentions pro day this week and players the Panthers are likely looking at.  One is Lance...the others mentioned are OL and 1 WR.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article249777848.html

Taking this discussion in a new direction with the other article mentioned by OP. I don't follow college football, but have read about 4/5 of these guys. Carman is a complete mystery to me. Any Clemson fans out there want weigh in on him? Is he good? What round? What about Rodgers, I've seen him mentioned as a decent slot guy before, but didn't watch him play?

Here are five players and four pro days you’ll want to watch this week:

NORTHWESTERN, MARCH 9

OT Rayshawn Slater Slater is one of the most versatile offensive lineman in the draft, and he’ll likely be the second offensive tackle to come off the board in April. He’s projected to fall somewhere in the No. 8-15 range. The Panthers need help on the offensive line, particularly at left tackle. If the Panthers don’t choose a quarterback in the first round, offensive tackle is the next likely option.

CLEMSON, MARCH 11

WR Amari Rodgers There’s a strong possibility Curtis Samuel may not return next season as he enters free agency. If they can’t sign him, the Panthers may look toward the draft for a receiver. Rodgers finished with 61 catches for 845 yards and six touchdowns during his senior season. He could be a Day 2 or Day 3 pick.

OT Jackson Carman Carman is said to be a potential Day 2 pick. And if the Panthers still have their second-round pick by draft day, Carman is a legitimate candidate.

TEXAS, MARCH 11

OT Samuel Cosmi As mentioned before, the Panthers need an offensive tackle, and Cosmi is expected to be available on Day 2. “He’s a really solid player and incredibly consistent,” Ryan Wilson of CBS Sports said.

NORTH DAKOTA STATE, MARCH 12

QB Trey Lance Here is a big one. Lance could easily be the Panthers’ future franchise quarterback in April. Nearly 30% of mock drafts have the Panthers drafting Lance, according to NFL Mock Draft Database, which aggregates drafts from various media sites. He will likely be available when the Panthers are up on the clock with the eighth pick, barring a huge pro day. “Lance, physically speaking, is really impressive,” Eric Edholm of Yahoo! Sports said. “He’s got that Dak Prescott-type of frame and athletic traits. If you watch his film, it’s fascinating.”

1 hour ago, ladypanther said:

Not much KC could do. Teddy needs no defending. Even with a good o-line he would still suck. 

4 hours ago, KSpan said:

think it's more that Jake showed up time and again with the game on the line while the exact opposite happened last year. No one should expect Teddy and the offense to have won all of those games, but at least 2-3 out of 8 would show some sign of life. However... nada.

I agree. Teddy needs to be more clutch or blow the roof off early. 

A big problem for him is that he was already paid and expected to produce as other mentioned and not gunning for a contract. Which is I think Jake is empathetic to based on conversations about his last year here and his time with the browns.