• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Former QB's support Teddy..this week's pro days..from the Observer

ladypanther

35 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Good points.  Of course, the Minnesota TD was on the D and the interference non call had a lot to do with it, but if one play costs you the game, you should have wrapped it up sooner.

You are right about Teddy.  Like a vehicle with 4-wheel drive--most of the time you do not need it...

In that Rams game though the offense got the ball back in OT and Brees promptly threw an interception. He was under pressure of course but that was a very bad time for such a play.

4 minutes ago, Call Me James said:

I love Jake, but he had a pretty stacked team on that super bowl run as well. Ironically, we've compared last year's team against that team numerous times as a reason why we SHOULD move on FROM Teddy. 

I think it's more that Jake showed up time and again with the game on the line while the exact opposite happened last year. No one should expect Teddy and the offense to have won all of those games, but at least 2-3 out of 8 would show some sign of life. However... nada.

• Beer 1

Jake was legitimately a good to great QB for about 3 seasons. He was clutch. That is the one factor that Teddy lacks and what makes him a terrible option for us. Seven opportunities for game winning drives and he failed. 

I'll say though. Jake was a liability in 2007 and 2008. He had flaws the whole time, but tommy john wouldn't let him make those plays anymore. 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, OneBadCat said:

. Seven opportunities for game winning drives and he failed. 

I'll say though. Jake was a liability in 2007 and 2008. He had flaws the whole time, but tommy john wouldn't let him make those plays anymore. 

BOLD:  The reason he is probably going to end up as just another horrible symbol of 2020--along with COVID-19 etc--a bad memory.

An average arm and Tommy John  Surgery---and Jake was starting to age--and there were no real interested suitors in Free Agency---and Hurndog gives him a big contract.  Ridiculous.

10 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

It is not lost on me that the first reply post that criticized Jake and Steve's ability to put the team on their backs was created by a person who never played in the NFL--and the only person he has had on his back is his manager at Taco Bell for taking a long break to create such a post.

I don't think their advice for a year 2 will come to fruition, but there are teams out there reportedly think Teddy will be better off in a better system.  That is how you find gems.  We now have seen the range--

In New Orleans in 2019, Teddy comes in with a strong supporting cast and wins 5 games in 5 tries.

In Charlotte in 2020, with an injured LT, CMC, and scrub LG and non-existent TE for most of the season, Teddy wins 4 games in 15 tries, but shows spurts and is close in most games. Maybe (They think) that not having CMC, Okung, and a LG and TE is the reason we did not win those close games--not the QB.

So there is the basis for their argument and the reason some teams are kicking the tires on the Teddy speed wagon.

There is so much irrational hate for Teddy here (to the point that folks are now trying to change the narrative surrounding Delhomme), I forget that we have quality posters.

Teddy has always been a game manager that relies on his pre-snap reads and quick release. Did he show that he could be the guy last season? Hell no. His contract is literally set up to allow the team to build the offense for a young QB to be comfortable in while allowing them an easy out for the third year. It's remarkable, however, how many of the same posters that harped on Teddy needing pieces around him seem to ignore how the best player on the offense was gone most of the season along with the blindside protector. Some of the same fans that believe QB trumps everything will also follow it up by saying that the LT is the 2nd most important position on the offense. So now the offense is missing it's best player and 2nd best position for a majority of the season? Throw in an ineffective TE group and Chris Reed literally hydroplaning into nobody at LG? Oof.

Personally, I like the idea of staying at #8 and waiting to see how the board falls. The team is in a position where they don't have to move up despite some of the chicken littles here saying otherwise (I'll never let folks live down that whole "We can't get a pass rusher at #16!!" only for Brian Burns to be chilling there). If one of the top 4 QBs are available, take em. Do the due diligence on seeing if there is a trade option (which they're doing) to upgrade the position. If the team can't find an answer this season and Teddy looks the same if not worse, then turn over every stone next season and find one.

• Beer 2
  • Poo 1

1 hour ago, OceanPanther said:

I agree we need more impact players at other positions..  but if you don't have a franchise QB,,   YOU HAVE HAVE ONE..  waiting another year will not enhance our chances to win a super bowl.

No way to know that. Building a complete team and not mortgaging your drafts and cap for three years, and getting a QB next year very well may improve the chance at a SB.

5 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

Maybe an Oline??? 

Look what happened to Mahomes when he did not have one.

True, but the panthers OL was complete poo. Teddy wasn’t running around like Mahomes was in the SB. I’m all for upgrading the OL though. 

Just now, The Lobo said:

True, but the panthers OL was complete poo. Teddy wasn’t running around like Mahomes was in the SB. I’m all for upgrading the OL though. 

Agree our oline was not as bad as people thought, we was in the middle. Teddy was really that BAD.

14 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

Maybe an Oline??? 

Look what happened to Mahomes when he did not have one.

Mahomes threw 38 touchdowns behind that offensive line last year. Bridgewater threw for a career high 15 touchdowns by comparison.

I certainly understand the sentiment and that we need to work on our line but let's be reasonable here please.

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

To be fair, Teddy wasn't running around because he tended to get the ball out pretty quick.

As to the quality of our OL, there's two grades:

With Okung healthy - Decent

Without Okung - Garbage

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

I think Jake came in vs. Jax in a season opener late in the game for Rodney Peete and threw a perfect pass on the last play of the game to win the game--hitting Proehl in the corner of the endzone.  Not fact checking before posting, but that kind of thing was his trademark here.

We were down 14-0 at halftime but went down 17-0 early in the 3rd.  Peete was so slow that by the time he dropped back, he was under pressure.  And that was with a good line.  Jake started the first drive of the second half and immediately, the offense looked faster.  Jake would drop back in half the time Peete did.  Jake led the comeback and did, indeed, hit Ricky Proehl on the endzone sideline on 4th down with :16 on the clock.  Jacksonville did get the ball back but had a long FG partially blocked as time expired.  

And what made it more amazing, Delhomme did it while throwing 2 interceptions.  

• Pie 1