• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Was the Gettleman's 2017 draft class the best in Panthers history?

hepcat

Now that the 2017 draft class is up for contract extensions, I think it's a good time to appreciate what an amazing draft class this was. Every single player drafted is still in the NFL 4 seasons later, and 3 of the players are some of the best players at their position in the NFL. 

Can anyone name a better Panthers draft class? 2001 maybe? (Dan Morgan, Kris Jenkins, Steve Smith)??

1 (8) - RB Christian McCaffrey. One of the best and most versatile RB's in the game. Turned in an all-time great performance in 2019. Hoping he gets back on track in 2021 after an injury riddled 2020 season.

2 (40) - WR Curtis Samuel. Early in his career he dealt with injuries and inconsistency, and it was thought he might be a bust. Samuel really turned it on in 2019 and 2020 and become a reliable 3rd down target. He will get big money this offseason.

2 (64) - OT Taylor Moton. One the best RT's in the game right now. Panthers slowly developed him and would be absolutely brain damaged not to sign him to a long term deal. 

3 (77) - DE Daeshon Hall. Worst pick of the draft this year. Didn't work out with the Panthers, but he has bounced around the NFL and was mildly productive for the Eagles. Still on the 49ers roster as of now.

5 (152) - CB Corn Elder. Another pick that looked like a bust early on that turned into a decent player under Matt Rhule. Elder was one of the Panthers most consistent players in the secondary in 2020. He might be brought back in 2021, otherwise I'm sure he'll find a role on another team.

6 (192) - FB Alex Armah. Still on the roster in 2020, in a league in which many teams don't have a FB anymore, Armah carved out a role for himself and might be back in 2021.

7 (233) - K Harrison Butker. Butker is one of the best kickers in the NFL. The one that got away.

Honestly, I look back on this draft and wonder if firing Dave Gettleman was one of the worst decisions in franchise history. Richardson brought back Marty Hurney who flat out couldn't draft as well after Round 1. The team slowly fell apart and almost no one from 2017, players or management, is still with the team. What a massive f*ck up Jerry! I'm glad you're gone forever.

Here's hoping Scott Fitterer can draft as well as Gettleman did, especially in the later rounds.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 2

8 minutes ago, CanePantherHornet said:

It was a good draft but I don't blame them at all for firing him. He's not exactly setting the world on fire in New York either.

He whiffed on Daniel Jones which was his biggest mistake. Gettleman probably fell in love with him while he was at Charlotte Latin. Maybe his kids went there too I dunno.

I was mad when they fired him. He was let go cause Richardson sided with Thomas Davis and Greg Olsen. They both wanted big money and gettleman was opposed to it. Once they got their new contracts the both subsequently essentially missed the next 3 seasons

He’s starting to build a little momentum in New York. But at the end of the day that franchises immediate future hinges on Daniel Jones. 

All in all I prefer having rhule at the helm

• Pie 4

2001 is the best in Franchise history and I dont think its that close. Those first 3 picks, one of them a Hall of Famer are legendary. If CMC plays another 8-10 years i think there could be an argument but right now its still 2001

Hell, even 2011, only because of Cam (and every other pick failing miserably) has to be considered for what it meant to the team. Considering half this board would trade every single one of those players for Watson the value of a true elite franchise QB can't be understated. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

48 minutes ago, SteveSmithTD89 said:

Hell, even 2011, only because of Cam (and every other pick failing miserably) has to be considered for what it meant to the team. Considering half this board would trade every single one of those players for Watson the value of a true elite franchise QB can't be understated. 

Sorry. Don't care how good the player is. A draft that only nets you one player is a sh-tty draft.

• Pie 7

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

It was a damn good draft.

If you're looking for the best draft the Panthers have had, it's probably between this one and Seifert's last draft in 2001.

Too soon to call 2020, but I'm very optimistic. I think 3 years are required to make an informed decision, but I'm also the guy that looks online for a week before booking a flight.