• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Was the Gettleman's 2017 draft class the best in Panthers history?

hepcat

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Only source I need is the Panthers draft history.

2011 for example. Not a single player outside of Cam Newton was worth sh-t.

Trading a future first rounder for Everette Brown and the 33rd overall pick for Armanti Edwards?

Not only drafting Jimmy Clausen but trying to trade up for him?

Drafting guys like Rashaan Gaulden, Will Grier, Sione Fua, Terrell McClain, Sherrod Martin and Corvey Irvin in the third?

I could go on...

The 2011 draft was weak outside of the first round.  This is known.  He was filling holes on the roster so that draft is a terrible example.

Of course he missed otherwise, every GM does.  Hurney doesn't know QBs mostly so I agree there.  One of the reasons he was let go IMO.  Picking Cam #1 gets you very little love as he was the clear pick there for a team starved for one.

We could look at any GMs drafts and nitpick.  His hit rate is still impressive.  That doesn’t make him some genius but he did a really solid job in that regard.

Overall, Gettleman did well here too.  Look at most of the other team drafts out there and you will realize GMs miss consistently, especially after round 1.

3 minutes ago, Shocker said:

The 2011 draft was weak outside of the first round.  This is known.  He was filling holes on the roster so that draft is a terrible example.

Of course he missed otherwise, every GM does.  Hurney doesn't know QBs mostly so I agree there.  One of the reasons he was let go IMO.  Picking Cam #1 gets you very little love as he was the clear pick there for a team starved for one.

We could look at any GMs drafts and nitpick.  His hit rate is still impressive.  That doesn’t make him some genius but he did a really solid job in that regard.

Overall, Gettleman did well here too.  Look at most of the other team drafts out there and you will realize GMs miss consistently, especially after round 1.

If 2011 was the only example of Hurney looking bad after Round 1, you might have a point.

I just named off several, including from recent years.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

If 2011 was the only example of Hurney looking bad after Round 1, you might have a point.

I just named off several, including from recent years.

Will add this...this draft coming up is the weakest draft outside of round 1 in memory.  Trading this years picks to move up would be smart IMO.

Honestly...outside of the top 20 picks there is a big drop in talent.

Actually, its the weakest draft in memory period.  

Edited by Shocker

6 hours ago, Daly said:

Loved gentleman during the draft , hated him in free agency 

His drafting was not consistent and sometimes very bad. Reference the rest of his drafts aside from 2017. He only looks good because of the large swath of time that Hurney was crushing the first round and basically little else. 

Gettleman's dumpster diving early on netted some great results. I always felt like he got a little overconfident with that. Then he made aeguably the worst free agency signing in franchise history in Matt Kalil. To me, after the suspect drafts, that was the final straw in his coffin. 

• Pie 2

Here's the thing about Gettleman's firing, regardless of whether you think he was a good GM or not...

If you believe Jerry Richardson sat down, weighed the pros and cons and tried to figure out what was genuinely best for the team, you're dreaming.

Richardson made stupid decisions for stupid reasons. This one was no exception.

It's pretty clear he wanted Marty back, and he got him. He even kept the "interim" tag in place so that he didn't have to interview anybody else, thus skirting the Rooney rule (until he got called on it and made a sham process to feign compliance).

Bottom Line: Jerry Richardson was a mediocre owner at best, and we should all be thankful he's gone.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2

19 hours ago, thefuzz said:

Dave Gettleman was a far better GM than most Panthers fans are willing to give him credit for.

I'm glad that we have someone else, but cutting DG and replacing him with Marty set us back 3 or 4 years.

F Jerry.

Dave Gettleman wanted to sign Kelvin Benjamin to a massive contact extension and also singlehandedly destroyed our offensive line, receiving corps, and secondary. He signed the Matt Kalil contract, perhaps the single worst free agent signing in Panthers history - and that only happened because he forced retirements and cut players, meaning he had to repair it quickly. His tenure as Giants GM has been nothing short of a disaster.

He was a terrible, terrible GM and I'm glad he's gone.

The best draft class in Panthers history, as a side, is clearly either 2001 or 2002.

Edited by TN05
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, TN05 said:

Dave Gettleman wanted to sign Kelvin Benjamin to a massive contact extension and also singlehandedly destroyed our offensive line, receiving corps, and secondary. He signed the Matt Kalil contract, perhaps the single worst free agent signing in Panthers history - and that only happened because he forced retirements and cut players, meaning he had to repair it quickly. His tenure as Giants GM has been nothing short of a disaster.

He was a terrible, terrible GM and I'm glad he's gone.

The best draft class in Panthers history, as a side, is clearly either 2001 or 2002.

LOL.

I could pick apart your false narrative, but it's not worth my time.

• Poo 1

19 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

No it isn't, unless you're looking at the first round only.

At the very least, you ought to be able to hit in the second round. Marty did that what, once?

Marty's drafts from 2009 forward were especially bad, and "2.0" wasn't good either.

Interesting you picked 2009. Hurney's best draft, and one of the Panthers' best overall, by far was 2008. And, he did it by strategically avoiding the 2nd round. 

20210310_150334.jpg