• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What does Moton tag mean for Curtis Samuel?

micnificent28

I would be floored if we re-signed Samuel.  I’d love to keep him, but WR depth with Moore and Anderson just isn’t that important compared to what he’ll probably demand against the cap.  We need a TE, LT, QB, and depth at numerous other spots.  

Edited by PandaMan
  • Pie 2

Someone is gonna throw some $ at Curtis. I know theres a narrative around the NFL and in our fanbase that he's an under the radar guy but smart teams already know how good he is. They are gonna be lined up with offers the 1st day of FA, I wouldnt be surprised to see him get $12-14mil per year.  

• Pie 4

I kinda expect Rivera to make a push, and I kinda think that Samuel would be crazy to go for it, unless the WFT wants to expand his playing time, or at least keep it where it is. 

This whole "gadget player" philosophy and/or mantra in relation to Samuel is shortsighted. Could this cool his market a little? Maybe. But I believe he's definitely a legit slot weapon (if nothing else), with understated versatility.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

it means goodbye, because moton is going to get paid on a long term deal. curtis is going to break some hearts if they believe he's a number one in waiting because that's not him. the circumstances that lead to his number of touches this past season weren't part of the plan. CMC getting hurt and Teddy refusing to throw down the field. if you look at his catch percentages over his career, it's highly suspect. hell, it might even make more sense to sign him as a RB because that's what he played here last season for the most part. they built a system for CMC and curtis was in the right place at the right time to take all those touches. he didn't exactly light the world afire like you'd think to hear people talk about him. he was good there, but he wasn't phenomenal. i think where as CMC is an elite HB and could be a good WR, samuel is just decent at both positions but sort of stuck between them. it's the smart move to walk away. 

I don't think the Moton tag has a thing to do with Curtis.  I think the pending re-signing of DJ Moore is a far bigger consideration.  I'd much rather have DJ than Curtis, and as a team we cannot afford both.

I love Curtis, and he came ahead leaps and bounds . . . THIS YEAR.  How many times have we seen guys play out of their skin in a contract year, get paid and return to career norms thereafter?  Too many.

Do I think that's Curtis?  Not necessarily, but man, it seems to happen on the regular.  Someone is going to fall in love with Curtis, pay him way more than he's worth, and in all fairness, good for Curtis.  I just don't want it to be us.

He couldn't have picked a worse time to test the market imo

Highly touted WR draft class, lots of veteran names in free agency, reduced cap space due to COVID

The team might actually be able to retain him if WAS & NYG don't come with cash in hand.

• Pie 2