• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Where's our cap going?

Mr. Scot

Just now, BrianS said:

FWIW, our positional spending at QB is actually middle of the pack.  14th to be exact.

It may not be as difficult to unload Bridgewater as we thought.

I knew the percentage of cap going toward Bridgewater would tick people off, but to be fair a lot of people are ticked off that were paying him at all.

The bigger surprise to me though is Shaq taking up more cap than both Moton and McCaffrey.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

I like Shaq but I’m never really wowed by anything he does. If I could get a pick and dump the contract, I’d be thinking about it really hard. 

Then Draft and actual MLB (I like Cameron McGrone) and draft an LB whose skills lean more toward coverage to replace Shaq. Those two will stay on the field and we can just plug an already rostered JAG in for SLB.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I knew the percentage of cap going toward Bridgewater would tick people off, but to be fair a lot of people are ticked off that were paying him at all.

The bigger surprise to me though is Shaq taking up more cap than both Moton and McCaffrey.

Shaq's contract, like all Marty Hurney contracts is an absolute disaster.

He's slated to be the 2nd highest paid ILB in the league next season...that includes actual MLB's.

What a disaster.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 2

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Shaq is a big hit this year, but this is probably the worst year in terms of his pay.  Overall, his contract was't that bad, and the savings if we cut him grow exponentially the next two years.  

Edited by Davidson Deac II
  • Flames 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Shaq is definitely a problem.  He's an average to good LB being paid good to excellent money.

I'm not sure how we designated our current crop of cuts, but if we still have a post June 1 slot, we could really cut some cap there.  I don't think we do that however.  We just sit tight, bite our lip and pay it this year.  Prior to 2022, we will be in a much better position both for overall cap and to cut Shaq.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, BrianS said:

Shaq is definitely a problem.  He's an average to good LB being paid good to excellent money.

I'm not sure how we designated our current crop of cuts, but if we still have a post June 1 slot, we could really cut some cap there.  I don't think we do that however.  We just sit tight, bite our lip and pay it this year.  Prior to 2022, we will be in a much better position both for overall cap and to cut Shaq.

Boston is post June 1st, I think.

No one else.

20 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Shaq is a big hit this year, but this is probably the worst year in terms of his pay.  Overall, his contract was't that bad, and the savings if we cut him grow exponentially the next two years.  

I know you to be smart, so it really confuses me when you continue to be this wrong about something thats in black and white in front of your face.

Shaq carries a cap hit only second to Bobby Wagner.  That is flatly awful for an average player.

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

I know you to be smart, so it really confuses me when you continue to be this wrong about something thats in black and white in front of your face.

Shaq carries a cap hit only second to Bobby Wagner.  That is flatly awful for an average player.

Yep. Long-term the contract isn't awful because we can get out of it, but in the short-term we're grossly overpaying a "good" player at a relatively non-premium position.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

Our cap situation could easily be much better with a few simple moves. 

I really don’t want to hear the excuse we don’t have the cap space this year. 

This could be a good year to sign guys who are looking for security versus one year deals so they can cash in next season. The cap will shoot back up next season so for the players choosing security, there will be value in signing them to long term deals.

• Pie 3