• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CMC and Shaq restructured

NAS

35 minutes ago, woahfraze said:

This, this, and more this.

You have to view these moves in the context of a season in which the salary cap is contracting 8%.  Those contracts perhaps don't need restructuring if COVID doesn't happen and the salary cap for 2021 increased from 2020 just like it has every year since 2011.   It makes sense to free up money this year to field a competitive roster and push some money to later years when the salary cap is likely to rise again.

I don't 100% disagree with this but you are also kicking the can towards years in which we will be needing to have room for our younger/core guys to get extended. If the cap makes a huge leap due to the new TV deals, perhaps I can understand the move. 

I, like so many here, just don't have a lot of faith historically in such moves because they were so often not to our benefit. 

Perhaps the real issue is just "Battered Fan Syndrome."

I think we should forget about being competitive until we get a franchise qb and bite the bullet and get our cap in order and correctly identify which players are our core players so we can start being healthy with the cap as soon as possible. I don’t think a Rb or any linebacker should be our core pieces. So restructuring contracts like this is fuging dumb UNLESS it’s to open space for a franchise qb. That is the only way these moves makes sense to me. It’s what we should’ve done last year and it looks like we’re continuing the same mistakes.

Edited by TheRumGone
  • Pie 2

8 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

What part of having a great start to a season, getting injured but being a healthy scratch for weeks 14-17 constitutes “underwhelming” 

What part of 5 wins and a 1-5 record within the division isn't underwhelming after shelling out over 100 million dollars for two contracts? It doesn't get any prettier when you factor in the Bridgewater signing.

If you are liking what you're seeing that's your prerogative but not everyone has to view this through Panthers shades.

• Flames 1

14 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Any chance it’s a way of trading him while eating some of his salary because it was too high to move him?

Uhhh I kind of doubt it at this point. I would move off the idea that he won't be on the team anymore unless it is to move him for Deshaun Watson. 

1 hour ago, TheRumGone said:

I think we should forget about being competitive until we get a franchise qb and bite the bullet and get our cap in order and correctly identify which players are our core players so we can start being healthy with the cap as soon as possible. I don’t think a Rb or any linebacker should be our core pieces. So restructuring contracts like this is fuging dumb UNLESS it’s to open space for a franchise qb. That is the only way these moves makes sense to me. It’s what we should’ve done last year and it looks like we’re continuing the same mistakes.

This is where I am.

The contracts to Shaq and CMC were dumb last offseason, this just makes them worse.  Instead of Hurneying (trying to win when it's obvious you shouldn't) we should have been building up the core of the team and setting ourselves up for 21 and beyond.

Instead, we are a dumb team that continues to do dumb stuff.

3 hours ago, frankw said:

What part of 5 wins and a 1-5 record within the division isn't underwhelming after shelling out over 100 million dollars for two contracts? It doesn't get any prettier when you factor in the Bridgewater signing.

If you are liking what you're seeing that's your prerogative but not everyone has to view this through Panthers shades.

You can't equate an individual signing with a team's record. That's something a kid would do.

The Houston Texans went 4-12. Does that mean Deshaun Watson was underwhelming and not deserving of his contract?

2 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

You can't equate an individual signing with a team's record. That's something a kid would do.

The Houston Texans went 4-12. Does that mean Deshaun Watson was underwhelming and not deserving of his contract?

Watson will get blame because he is or technically was the face of the franchise there. It doesn't make much sense to compare a quarterback to a running back or a linebacker. Either way with new contracts there will always be certain expectations and questions when the season is lost. We are not going to agree on this apparently. That's ok.

3 minutes ago, frankw said:

Watson will get blame because he is or technically was the face of the franchise there. It doesn't make much sense to compare a quarterback to a running back or a linebacker. Either way with new contracts there will always be certain expectations and questions when the season is lost. We are not going to agree on this apparently. That's ok.

Disagreeing is fine, but passive-aggressive nonsense like "seeing this through Panthers shades" is unnecessary. People who think CMC was not underwhelming are not the same as "all is well" homers. They are, in fact, telling a truth which is backed up both statistically (CMC was one of the league leaders in touchdowns scored through Week 5, despite being injured in Week 2) and functionally, considering he was available to play at any point in December but was held out to increase our chances of losing and decrease his chances of re-injury. 

Additionally, if you can pin the blame on an injured running back for a team's lack of success, you most certainly should pin the blame on a healthy quarterback for a team's lack of success. Otherwise, you're not being consistent at all.

10 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Disagreeing is fine, but passive-aggressive nonsense like "seeing this through Panthers shades" is unnecessary. People who think CMC was not underwhelming are not the same as "all is well" homers. They are, in fact, telling a truth which is backed up both statistically (CMC was one of the league leaders in touchdowns scored through Week 5, despite being injured in Week 2) and functionally, considering he was available to play at any point in December but was held out to increase our chances of losing and decrease his chances of re-injury. 

Additionally, if you can pin the blame on an injured running back for a team's lack of success, you most certainly should pin the blame on a healthy quarterback for a team's lack of success. Otherwise, you're not being consistent at all.

It seems you are applying personal ill intent or feelings where there are none. You are what your record says. That isn't always fair but it's sports. I'm guessing you are evidently a big fan of his. That's cool I am also. Sadly the position of running back has been trending in the direction of more and more devalued. Just look at past super bowl teams the last decade. Coincidentally you could make the same argument for linebackers with more emphasis on the defensive like and defensive backfield now. That truth saddens me also but what can we do about it now? We have to be smarter and build the roster more strategically as others have noted. If someone chooses to lie to themselves about this to cope I guess I understand that but opinions vary as they say. To each his own my friend.

22 hours ago, Rags said:

Welcome to the huddle.

The emotions here are driven entirely by homerisim. 

Like when people forget we had to use literally every draft pick on defense last year and there was still a stretch of games were the opponent didn’t punt the ball once

22 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Anyone mad at Shaq for signing his contract simply isn't very intelligent. Same for Teddy. Both guys proved to be exactly what they had shown to be in the past. Anyone disappointed about their play after they got paid wasn't paying attention to their play before they got paid. The only thing that changed was their pay check and their cap hit.

Agree and people forget that this signing came right around the same time that Kuechly retired out of nowhere.  Panthers were desperate at LB and clearly overpaid and probably knew it at the moment.