• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

June Jones jumps on the Mac Jones train

panthers55

On 3/10/2021 at 4:05 PM, Lemory said:

Mac Jones is not a first round QB people are just desperate. 

I wouldn't go this far.  I think he is a late first round QB in this year's draft and would be in other drafts as well.

I think he's a 2nd round QB historically, but in the 2021 draft he is definitely a first rounder.

11 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Just because Simms says somethings and gets a few right doesn’t mean he is the go to.  
Kiper hits some in a while but you saw what he said about Clausen now everyone is going back and laughing.

hell, Simms has Dyami Brown the UNC WR as a top 20 overall prospect in this draft.  Even my UNC homerism cant put him there.

Simms has a rd 2 grade on Lance.  While more of the clued in guys unlike the Kipers, Simms, etc chasing the hot takes etc.  All have Lance as a top 10 guy.  
heck @Vergehas said with her connections in the league scouts that Lance is looked at as a Top 10 guy.  

He didn't get a few right. Tell me anyone who does this rating QBs who has been more on target than Simms.

Secondly while Lance may go high, he is a second round talent. He is the biggest boom bust guy out there. He has played 1 game in the last 400 days. Wait and see when Simms is right again this year maybe you will wake up and start paying attention to the guys really in the know.

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

You go by your fng eyeballs. 

A great pass can be dropped but that doesn't show on stats. 

A bad pass can be caught.

A pick can be dropped. 

Football isn't a math problem. 

This isn't poker but a bunch of STEM nerds are trying to make it out to be. 

And film is in the eyes of the beholder. Two guys see the exact same thing and come to completely different conclusions. Then what? You look for other things including stats to provide Context. Like watching  Jones first few games as a starter in college this year and drawing many conclusions versus looking at how he progressed over the year and extrapolating his potential given he only started 1 year in college. Folks aren't calling him raw and unfinished like they do about guys with less than 20 starts in college.

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

He didn't get a few right. Tell me anyone who does this rating QBs who has been more on target than Simms.

Secondly while Lance may go high, he is a second round talent. He is the biggest boom bust guy out there. He has played 1 game in the last 400 days. Wait and see when Simms is right again this year maybe you will wake up and start paying attention to the guys really in the know.

On no Planet is he “on target than anyone else out there.”

I’ll take Daniel Jeremiah all day over him.  And even then I’ll take a few others certain times.

I can’t help you if you believe that take on Lance.  Honestly, if Simms came out tomorrow and said Will Grier was better than any QB in this class, you’d probably slurp that right up.

• Beer 1

On 3/10/2021 at 4:17 PM, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

Take him off Alabama and he's prepping for an insurance job right now.

So you are saying that he can be successful with a good team around him but without one, he is not going to be very good.

How is that not true for all QBs?

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

So you are saying that he can be successful with a good team around him but without one, he is not going to be very good.

Mac Jones fanboy cope. The NFL equivalent to 2020 Alabama would be having a 2 HOFer WRs, the best RB in the league, a great offensive line, and the prime Steel Curtain.

Mac Jones blows. Next year Saban will trot out some literal who and they'll be still be good.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

Mac Jones fanboy cope. The NFL equivalent to 2020 Alabama would be having a 2 HOFer WRs, the best RB in the league, a great offensive line, and the prime Steel Curtain.

Mac Jones blows. Next year Saban will trot out some literal who and they'll be still be good.

But your argument is hypothetical.  He had a great offense and he was a great QB.  What else is he supposed to do?  He completed nearly 80% of his passes.  Some people don't do that at their pro days.  He threw for 42 TDs vs. 4 Interceptions and Bama played as tough a schedule as anyone else.  If he failed with the protection and weapons around him, this is a point.  But he succeeded--better than Lawrence (who has a good supporting staff) and Burrow at LSU last year--(his team was pretty loaded).  Not seeing that argument.

5 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Which is why a guy like Simms who.played QB in the NFL and has been right on with his evaluations over several years should be heeded. He said Jones is underated and given he was a 1 year starter is well ahead of where you expect. Not only does he move well in the pocket but he looks off safeties, goes through his progressions and did things in college that many rookie in the NFL still havent mastered.  Stats are just numbers but film is important and his is good from what I have read from folks who should know.

That's kind of you just picking a guy, though. Scouts and evaluators don't always agree with what they like in a prospect.

Simms is a very educated opinion on the matter but there are other educated opinions that don't consider him the level of prospect that Simms does.

The issue with Jones isn't that he is a "bad" prospect, he just doesn't have enough elite attributes to be able to easily succeed unless his processing is elite(which some including Simms say it is) and he is in a system that works well for what he can do. Something suited for a guy like Chad Pennington and not Pat Mahomes or Deshaun Watson.

37 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Really? Lawrence had 3 probable 1st round picks at WR this year? Clemson’s OL wasn’t anywhere near Alabama’s. I keep seeing the Clemson is loaded argument and on D they absolutely have been but the offensive talent that rolled through Bama the last 3 years has been ridiculous. LSU in 2019 was much closer. Go watch the Bama Clemson championship when Lawrence beat them. Jeudy, Smith, Ruggs and Waddle were the top 4 WRs.

Jones this year had 3 first round WRs (Metchie is projected 1st in 2022), a 1st round RB and 4 OL going day 2 (Leatherwood could go 1st and Neal is projected late 1st/early 2nd in 2022). Lawrence had a 1st round RB and day 3 WRs (Ross missed the entire year). Carman is the only OL with NFL talent this year and he’s a day 2 pick.

Anyway, Jones had far more offensive talent around him than Lawrence this year and it’s not even in the same ballpark to be honest.

This is not a comparison between Jones and Lawrence---if it is, Jones had a better OL and WRs and he had the better numbers...So that does not prove Jones is not good.  It proves that he did what he was supposed to do with a better team.

77.4% completions, 42 TDs, vs. 4 Ints.  349 yards per game--11.2 yards per pass attempt.  Those numbers are as good or better than most all QBs--this year and many others.

Those numbers are not average or even good--they are elite.  So please tell me what numbers a great QB would have posted at Bama this year? 

• Completion percentage:
  • TDs in 13 games:
  • Interceptions (13 games):
  • Yards per game:
  • Yards per attempted pass: 

Once we determine where the threshold for greatness is, maybe we can see this more objectively.   I want to see what you think a great QB at Bama should have done this year.

Edited by MHS831

On 3/12/2021 at 2:37 PM, MHS831 said:

I saw Cam carry 1 not very good Auburn team to a undefeated national title and a bad panthers offense to a super bowl..

Russell Wilson without blocking for years always makes the playoffs..

Aaron Rodgers takes street FA WR to a MVP's season..

Either you're a QB who needs alot to be successful or you're one who can masked a team diffecency to success...

I want the latter...

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

On 3/12/2021 at 7:43 PM, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

Mac Jones was backed up by a 5 star QB who he didn't give a sniff to all year.